CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited February 2013 in Gaming

Comments

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    CB said:

Vibroswords

@Ilriyas
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    Nah man, Tim's all about vibroscrewdrivers.
    midga
    Well, I assume he'll eventually have to gauge up.
    primesuspect
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    God...damn...it
    Ilriyas said:

God...damn...it

Depending on who you talk to, that's exactly the case.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    What is going on here?
    midga
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    I really wish they had just made Metal Gear Rising a new IP. It looks like fun but is in no way a Metal Gear game.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I started thinking the same thing, bu that sparked an internal discussion about: What constitutes a 'franchise' of gaming, common mechanics, or a shared story-world?
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    In this case it's mostly story. Metal Gear has always been about the story and nothing I've seen about Rising suggests the story is anything other than silly at best and just downright bad at worst. It's all about the super fast stabby stab stab and over the top giant robot fighting instead of having a great narrative. On top of that the story was complete at the end of Metal Gear Solid 4. There was nothing left for Snake or Raiden to do that had any bearing on the story had that developed up to that point. It seems entirely forced by Konami that this game was made under the Metal Gear name in an attempt to milk that cow until it's dry. I just don't see how this belongs in the Metal Gear universe. I think it could have easily done well as a completely new franchise but they felt that was too risky so they just slapped Metal Gear on the name and made Raiden the protagonist regardless of whether it makes sense or not.
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    @Canti I see what you're saying, but I fucking LOVE Raiden's sequences in MGS4 so MUCH. The ability to play that and figure out what the heck Raiden's being doing all this time to get THAT badass...to the tune of what we saw in MGS4, cranked up to DMC degrees of crazy action? Sorry, but I'm freaking SOLD.

I popped in the Two Best Friends Play of this game on youtube, and immediately dropped it on my Gamefly list right after the video ended. It hits so many of the right spots, while maintaining the degree of small details that I love the MGS games for.
    BHHammy said:

@Canti I see what you're saying, but I fucking LOVE Raiden's sequences in MGS4 so MUCH. The ability to play that and figure out what the heck Raiden's being doing all this time to get THAT badass

Two problems with that though.
    1. Unless they changed the plot (again) this game doesn't take place between MGS2 and MGS4. It takes place several years after 4 so unless there are tons of flashback sequences we may not get to learn much about what happened to Raiden after 2.
    2. Possibly the more important point because most people seem to have forgotten or not noticed this. We don't need to see how Raiden became such a badass between 2 and 4. Raiden already WAS a scary badass in 2 probably more so than Snake. You aren't aware of that during most of the game because Raiden had suppressed memories of his past because they were too fucking horrible to deal with. Solidus explains all that near the end of 2. Solidus had been training Raiden since he was like 10 to be a brutal killing machine and he was. He got the nickname Jack the Ripper because he had a habit of killing EVERYTHING. Sure you don't get to do all the crazy ninja shit in 2 because it wouldn't have fit in with the rest of the game and because you aren't supposed to know Raiden's past until way later but Raiden always was an unstoppable death machine.