Google Glass

fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
you know you want it

TheironhandChoochBasilLazarusXero

Comments

• TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    What if they fall off?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Doesn't work for prescription lens people yet. My hopes are high. I want this so bad.
  • GuppyGuppy Warren, MI Icrontian
    Looks cool, but I don't want to give Google another way to track me.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Guppy said:

Looks cool, but I don't want to give Google another way to track me.

Ahh, that's not a problem.

RahnalH102JBoogaloo
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    Looks great, and i could wear them with contact lenses. I'm surprised the voice recognition is as good as that though.
  • lmorchardlmorchard {web,mad,computer} scientist Portland, OR Icrontian
    I hope the hardware is nifty, because I'm feeling all SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY. And, I'm looking forward to what aftermarket hackers do to replace the out-of-box firmware, as I do with all gadgets
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    Lincoln said:
    It's basically dev/early adopter/beta test + training kit. It sounds like they're seeding the ground for 3rd party apps early, which seems like a great idea. They want to see the creative ways people will use it so they can up the integration with Google Now (which is what those flash-card looking things appeared to be).

This is targeted at people who are on the cutting edge and want to shape the direction of the product. Not to mention this isn't just a product that already existed with a nice skin on it (yes, my colors are showing).
    BuddyJ
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

Looks great, and i could wear them with contact lenses. I'm surprised the voice recognition is as good as that though.

I'm continually impressed with Android's voice recognition capabilities on 4+.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    It's amazing how calming transparency can be.
    ardichoke
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    Thrax said:

It's amazing how calming transparency can be.

A lottery to get a draft of a product for an extremely high price with no release date or other info about how it works is "transparent" while "This goes on sale today and releases next month at volume and it runs the same apps as everything else in our ecosystem with the same APIs" isn't. Right.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Because augmented reality and tablets are the so similar. Right.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Linc just hates anything non-apple ;)
    ardichoke
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    My guess is the price is to keep it from falling into the hands of derps. They're looking for people who are going to be serious about beta testing. Or I could be wrong, which I am from time to time. And by time to time I mean second to second.
    TiberiusLazarus
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    That's how I saw it as well. no one is talking about market price here. They are trying to get what are basically prototypes into the hands of a few people who would be super serious about giving them a go. The contest and fee are the way of confirming super seriousness.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Or super richness.
    edited February 2013
    BuddyJ said:

augmented reality

It's just a mod for Half Life 2 Google Goggles.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    Lincoln said:

BuddyJ said:

augmented reality

It's just a mod for Half Life 2 Google Goggles Google Now.
    FTFY
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/22/4013406/i-used-google-glass-its-the-future-with-monthly-updates

1. Click
    2. Look at main image
    3. Try not to think that it is @UPSLynx
    4. Beer Goggles MIRIGHT!?

-Digi
  • BobbyDigi said:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/22/4013406/i-used-google-glass-its-the-future-with-monthly-updates

1. Click
    2. Look at main image
    3. Try not to think that it is @UPSLynx
    4. Beer Goggles MIRIGHT!?

-Digi

Heh... I immediately thought of Beerby Miller saying "I never asked for any of this" in response to his Google Now cards.

Also, when did an iPad become a PC?
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    I am very interested in having one of these.

Just some app ideas:
    Museum Tours: When looking at the art the app gives you the pertinent information.
    Home Buying: You can google hangout to give someone the tour of the house you are thinking of buying. Home inspector could record inspection points with audio/video
    Cooking App: Step by step directions without having to touch a tablet
    Gaming Help: Game strategy guide app that gives you steps when it pics up a tag that is embedded in the game video

etc... Just the possibilities make me excited for this tech.

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    HUD for travel. I'd love to have this as my GPS instead of a thing I stick to my window.
    Also Dennou Coil. If you know, you know.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    midga said:

HUD for travel. I'd love to have this as my GPS instead of a thing I stick to my window.

Absolutely agree!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    The big thing for me could be the eventual application of guided mechanical learning.

Taking apart your car for the first time? Have the video or, better yet, a contextually-driven set of labeled instructions right in your FOV.
    midga
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Huds will become part of everyday life, in the future. Microsoft told us that almost 2 years ago:

-Digi
  • BobbyDigi said:

Huds will become part of everyday life, in the future. Microsoft told us that almost 2 years ago:

-Digi

They just failed to realize it would be Google, not Microsoft, bringing us the technology.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    I was writing them into my sci-fi stories over fifteen years ago. The characters called them PHUDs. Unfortunately for my futurist cred, those stories were never published formally (some did appear here on Icrontic though).

In the current version of the novel which is based on the Zeta Disconnect stories (which is under consideration for publication currently, BTW) the devices have been renamed simply to 'visors', and it's no longer a prediction of the future, it's more of a tech that everyone has because duh.

#scifiwriterproblems
    midga
    edited February 2013
    1. Few people wear glasses on purpose. They spend a lot of money to not need them.

2. Glasses are more insular than a smartphone. It is literally between you and others.

3. "I'm distracted by my phone" is borderline rude. On your face, there is not even that social cue.

4. Hold your phone up like you're taking a picture all day. Every interaction will begin to break down.

5. You can put your phone away. If you put Glass away regularly, there was no point.

There are great uses for this technology in many businesses, but not the consumer market. The marketing behind this suggests they are instead aiming for consumers. I don't see it happening.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    1. Could you back that stat up? I think a great many people wear glasses on purpose... they're very fashionable.

2. You are LOOKING AT PEOPLE through your glasses. What could be more insular than looking AWAY from someone and at your phone instead?

3. Exactly.
    ardichoke