The PlayStation 4 discussion

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited February 2013 in Gaming

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Let me paraphrase: "Cell was fucking crazy and developers hated it. The PS4 will be, basically, a PC"
    lmorchard
  • timuchantimuchan Fishers, IN Icrontian
    Sounds like a PS3 with a usable network for multiplayer. I hope. Only other thing I really felt the PS3 suffered from was the controller. I loved it... until I spent a few hours in a shooter on the Xbox 360. Doesn't look like they will change that though. Maybe Razer can make one.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    What is the quality like on top-spec PC games these days? Those PS4 graphics look simply awesome - have I been out of the games loop for that long, or are those graphics really that good?
    You've been out that long. They're better on PC now.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    PCs are better, imo:
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    With the CPU being an X86 based processor do you think we will see more games ported from console to PC since it has similar architecture?
    edited February 2013
    Yes. And it also reduces the likelihood that the port will be shoddy, since you're no longer switching CPU ISAs or graphics APIs in doing the port.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    "We're happy to announce that -" [sound cuts out video keep playing] DAMMIT!
    UPSLynx
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    so why couldn't they announce the actual hardware?

"GUYS THE PS4 HAS A 8-CORE 223MMX AND ATI RAGE 4MB!"

PirateNinjamidga
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    I REALLY think Blizzard is wasting their time and everyone else's by bringing Diablo 3 onto the system, but that's just me, I guess.

Am I the only person that immediately tuned out the moment Jason Jones stepped on stage? I still have no interest in anything he has to say after that garbage he was talking, previous.

Plus, Destiny looks like crap.

Watch Dogs, though...I swear, that game almost sells the damn thing for me, itself. I -HAVE- to play that game.
    midga
    I pretty much agree exactly with you @BHHammy
    I really really like the concept of Drive Club.

Imagine an icrontic drive club night. cars. roads. and a bunch of shit talk ;)
    UPSLynx
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    RWB said:

With the CPU being an X86 based processor do you think we will see more games ported from console to PC since it has similar architecture?

No.

• RWB said:

I would say yes on a technical level, but the flagship Sony games are going to be kept on the Playstation platform so that more Playstations are sold and eventually more games for it. It would be bad business for them to port their brands to PC if they own a platform. Sort of like Apply porting iMovie to PC.
    edited February 2013
    Exclusives are pretty much dead. I think the PS3 lost every single PlayStation exclusive the brand ever had.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    Thrax said:

Exclusives are pretty much dead. I think the PS3 lost every single PlayStation exclusive the brand ever had.

I don't know anything about Sony :( All I can remember about them is that guy named Snake from some promo video I saw years ago.

Edit:

So is the PS4 just a highly target budget gaming PC with an easy to use OS? I'm confused at the differentiation.
    Devs hold all the power when it comes to games. Sony pays for exclusivity, not vice versa. It's not generally in the dev's business interests to go exclusive, and that's increasingly true in today's market.
  • I assumed Sony had some in house IP much like Nintendo that people drool over. I would never, for example, buy a wiiu if it didn't mean more zelda and mario but just a slightly different experience for the other 5000 games.
    AFAIK they do, but generally speaking it's third-party titles that go on to be superstars in the Xbox/PS world.
    There will be PS4 exclusives: Knack, Killzone, Uncharted, etc.
    midga
    Considering the 36 has 162 exclusive titles and ps3 has 147 exclusive titles currently, quick wiki check so not extreme accuracy, there are still a large section of the market that they hold in sway. Yes both companies pay to have titles be an exclusive launch but they are also the gate keeper on the developers.

x86 processor and something that might resemble a computer architectures is pointless unless the APIs are worth a damn.
    You're Sony. You need games to survive. Developers have the final say as to whether or not a game gets made for your system. Your system architecture now shares every single component with a PC, down to the ISA of the GPU and the CPU. Those developers will want to go cross-platform to maximize sales.

How good do you think the API is? How close to a PC?
    edited February 2013
    Not that good given the past decade of sony and not very close to a PC because they are producing a console which is far from open source or even public knowledge. Sony is a company that does not want to even sell SDKs to someone who they do not see making them money short and long term with content. Simply having some capital, liquid assets to pay them, and some sort of company is not enough. You have to pay them a lot of money simply to gain access.
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    And there it is. It's a PC in a box.
    A custom x86 processor PC. The specifications that have been released actually don't say anything besides a Jaguar technology core and some Radeon line GPU.
    edited February 2013
    Jaguar. It's a normal x86 CPU.

//EDIT: Desktop designs based on Jaguar.
    1.84 TFLOPS?

Desktop equivalent?
    Somewhere between HD 7850 and HD 7870.
    Thrax said:

Somewhere between HD 7850 and HD 7870.

okay. so did you guys just die shrink the A-10 and throw on 4 more cores? also is is SoC?

overall pretty beefy system for a console