What's your internet speed?

Comments

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

Might upgrade to 100 Mbps soon. Soon...
  • PetraPetra Palmdale, CA USA
    Service: FiOS
    Cost: $75/month (I don't subscribe to TV or home phone service, so that's just for the internet connection)
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian

Hate you all and your fast internets. $40/month internet plan with Comcast in the city, with a million other people surrounding me on the same lines.
  • WagsFTW said:

Hate you all and your fast internets. $40/month internet plan with Comcast in the city, with a million other people surrounding me on the same lines.

I don't even want to hear it. That's 10x faster than my connection and only a couple bucks a month more.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    oh my.. sheesh
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    UNF! DAT PING.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Not bad for a workplace. Still think I'm in the top tier here for residential, though :P

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    QCH said:

Uh oh... look who got more fiber?

So if FermiLab is only faster than 99% of the US, what's the other 1% connect to the interwebs at?
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited December 2012
    Well here is a 20/2 ADSL line in Denmark. :D
    It has been getting slower and slower it was at an effective speed of 18/1.8 earlier. :(
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    MJO said:

Well here is a 20/2 ADSL line in Denmark. :D
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2384673693.png
    It has been getting slower and slower it was at an effective speed of 18/1.8 earlier. :(

Bigger numbers are better, as Speedtest measures throughput rather than delay in sending. 20/2 is better than 18/1.8 on Speedtest, IOW.

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    CrazyJoe said:

So if FermiLab is only faster than 99% of the US, what's the other 1% connect to the interwebs at?

Yeah... there can only be one or two places in the world that are faster... maybe SpeedTest drops the trailing zeros. 99.99999999% ?

• ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    I'm jelly. What's more, my phone will do 3-4x that download on 4G LTE (because there's no traffic out here in the middle of nowhere) which would be fine except for data plans.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    Not bad for download, especially when it's upgraded to 100Mb for free by Virgin later this year. I'm always disappointed with the upload speeds in the UK, BT is definitely better than Virgin on that front.

The ping isn't great on the Liverpool server, but it's the only one I ever get the full 60Mb with. I get a better ping on Sheffield.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    Work, Lovin it!

imagespeedtest.net/result/2522070028.png
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited March 2013
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Switching back to FireFox from Chrome for a while. Trying to figure some hanging issues out.

Dat ping:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Zooooooooooooooooom!
    Linc
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2013
    Not bad.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Damn I can't believe my Comcast cable connection is faster than FIOS.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    Wait until they over-provision the node you're on.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    This thread makes me hate AT&T so much. 3 years. 2 price increases. 0 speed increase.

Damn I can't believe my Comcast cable connection is faster than FIOS.

Kwitko said:

Wait until they over-provision the node you're on.

This right here.

Your current speed is a product of the lower socio-economic status of the population on your local loop (seriously, not BSing here).

Example: In our first apartment together, my wife and I had Comcast. We were literally on the border of Ypsilanti and Ann Arbor (on the Ypsi side of Carpenter Rd.) and a co-worker was in a house about 300 yards away on the Ann Arbor side (also with Comcast, but on a separate local loop). Note: At the time, 2Mbit was the top-end consumer speed.

In the afternoons after work, I could manage my full 2Mbps no problem all the way into the evening and late night while my coworker could barely manage 150kbps at the same time. She had to wait until well after midnight to be able to get back up to normal speeds.
    KwitkoTushon
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    And that's why I love FiOS even if Verizon does other shitty stuff. I miss it so much.
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    In Canada you can download stuff at good speeds but uploading is the devil

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Welcome to the steppe desert, where the Internets can here you scream, but will take a day to get back to you on that.

Got a freedompop OverDrive today because whatever, 500MB free/month.

But lawl:
    Garg
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    a freedomwhat the whathole?
    Yeah. They started by doing battery/WiMax cases for iPhones/iPods, and then started reselling WiMax-only hotspots. Apparently, they reworked their agreement with Sprint recently so now they can offer 3(ish)G as well using the OverDrive hotspots. Their gimmick is that you get 500MB free/month, and they don't alert you unless you pay $2.99/month for the monitoring service (but it's dead-simple to check the web interface, anyway).

They also give you free data for referrals and some other junk.

When they cut the OverDrive's price to $40, I snagged one since I can always use an emergency connection.

Sprint's LTE is rolling out in MI, so I snagged one for the potential of a cheap upgrade to the LTE hotspot when it becomes available.