New releases for The Week of Skyhooks and Noteswords

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited March 2013 in Gaming

Comments

• NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian
    oni_dels said:
    Ditto!
    Also, finding Infinite so-far pretty, but... well, pretty.
    And check out Warframe. I think it has some potential.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited March 2013
    Elizabeth (Bioshock Infinite) is one of the most complex, multi-dimensional female characters I have ever encountered in a video game.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Note: I have not played BioShock Infinite and know absolutely zero about Elizabeth.

Ilriyas, have you played Beyond Good and Evil? How would you compare her with Jade?
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    edited March 2013
    [12:04:35 PM] David McCarty: Most of the folks that have been playing it have enjoyed the chick's AI as well. She seems to know what you need and when you need it, eh?
    [12:04:42 PM] Zach Smith: Yea
    [12:04:44 PM | Edited 12:04:46 PM] Zach Smith: She is helpful
    [12:04:51 PM] Zach Smith: And not hard to stare at
    [12:05:46 PM] David McCarty: Well, she has boobs and she wears a corset, so what's not to enjoy?
    [12:06:36 PM] Zach Smith: Her personality isn't bad, she isn't the typical overly sexed female. She is just an overall enjoyable and attractive character that lends really well into wanting to take care of her all the time
    [12:06:51 PM] Zach Smith: Even though I know she can't get hurt in combat I find myself worried about her getting shot
    [12:06:59 PM] David McCarty: lol
    [12:07:08 PM] David McCarty: That's how you know they did it right then...

Elizabeth is probably my favorite part of the whole game.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited March 2013
    @Primesuspect I have yet to play Beyond Good and Evil though I have had many people tell me I should. Considering I just beat Bioshock Infinite I may start playing BG&E tonight.

I have only two issues with Bioshock Infinite though I'd say they're fairly minor ones considering the story is the best part (My laptop was chugging along at the best of times. Were the story not so compelling I likely would've stopped playing near the beginning)

1. I dislike the way they handled weapons and vigors, visually. In Bioshock an upgrade to either a weapon or a plasmid would have a corresponding visual change (In the case of the revolver a larger barrel or crazy reloading mechanism. In the case of a plasmid like Incinerate it would start as a small fire near the thumb and index finger and would change to an inferno basically engulfing Jack's arm.) In Bioshock Infinite a fully upgraded Mauser pistol still looks like a Mauser pistol and a vigor looks no different later from when you first acquire it. (I have no answer for the firearms but for vigors vs plasmids I would assume it's because a plasmid was a genetic alteration whereas vigors were merely ingested leading me to believe that one's control over them would pass when they...well passed and therefore wouldn't cause a physical change in appearance)

2. Combat in Infinite felt to be overall simpler than combat in Bioshock. Where in the first game I found myself running around scrambling for ammunition and health kits with money always being an issue. In Bioshock Infinite the only currency is money. (No Adam or something similar) Unsurprisingly as ammunition, upgrades, and vigors were all purchased with 'silver eagles' there is infinitely more of it than there is in Bioshock meaning that whenever I found a store to be nearby I could 'camp it out' purchasing ammunition, health, salts etc. until everyone was dead. The only encounters I really felt challenged at were the ones where there were no vendors nearby at all. (That said I play every game at the hardest difficulty available, it might be different for others but firefights in Infinite felt altogether less urgent/hectic than Bioshock.)

EDIT: I am not of course ignoring the possibility that combat was done in this way due to the shift in tone from a claustrophobic survival-ish game (Being a spiritual descendant of System Shock 2) to an open air shooter. To reiterate it's not much of an issue, after all I played it for the story when the game did work for me it was horribly laggy. (Though I must say this, even at the lowest settings possible Bioshock Infinite is one of the most beautiful games I've played and you owe it to yourself to play it for the visuals even if you don't care for the gameplay or the story.)
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I am not sure what to say about that ending, I didn't see that coming. Half of it, but not all of it.

Looking forward to see what they put out for DLC. But I also agree with what Ilriyas says, the combat was pretty simplistic, and easy (aside from never being able to see the enemies). I was also kind of sad at the limitation of upgrades and options. You get two different versions of the same gun, that do roughly the same thing, and you can only upgrade it 4 times even though there are more than 4 upgrades for each. I would have loved a gunbench sort of thing where you can attach different bits to a gun for different upgrades.