Dead PSU?

MJOMJO Denmark New
I am pretty sure my PSU is dead.
In recent days I have been experiencing random lockups, no BSOD but a black screen with no signal. And tonight the rig won't even start. Fans and lights turn on, a bit, and then it turns off again.
Furthermore I got a voltage spike warning a few days ago, couldn't see anything out of the ordinary in the reported voltages though.
After searching online I assumed it was a false positive.

It is a Corsair HX 1000W is that known as being bad? They do not make it anymore. It is apprx 30 months old.

Comments

• MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    edited March 2013
    Sounds like a malfunctioning PSU. Have you done a bare bones start up? That would essentially rule out if it's completely dead or just not producing as much power as it should be.

You might also want to try a different outlet, surge protector and cable going from there to your power supply to rule out a problem there...
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    That will be my next move. And depending on the result I will test with another PSU.
    Fortunately new PSU's does not kill the whole system when they die. Well not as often anyway. If it is dead it is my second, had an Enermax die on me a few years ago, bad caps.
    Bad caps isn't a death sentence for products luckily. I had a 500gig external die on me a few years ago. I ripped out the hard drive in it, put in a 160 gig and away it went. Still works perfectly!
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    Well here is another update.
    A week ago, I removed all cables and tested the psu using only a paperclip and a fan.
    I then plugged in all the cables and tried powering up the rig again.
    And lo and behold it booted just fine, no problems.
    Right up until thursday night. The rig just died. When I powered up the rig afterwards I did a power cycle over and over.
    Case fan turned breifly lights went on and then everything shut Down. 1 second later it does it over and over.

Today I have tested using another PSU plugged into the motherboard.
    And it works, fans, lights etc. is working.
    Unfortunately I cannot get an image because the power supply is to weak (and missing at least one cable :) ) to power my 6970 :)
    But no power cycle this time.
    Time to request an RMA with Corsair...
    Unfortnately it will set me back apprx. $40 in shipping. But it is cheaper than a new PSU. :D
    The dead PSU still works using a paperclip but that doesn't guarentee that it works when pushed.
    Sounds like it has the power of a 400 or less. Glad we figured out the issue :)
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    Update.
    I received a new PSU last week and since then the rig has been running without problems. :)
    And as an added bonus I got a small upgrade my HX1000 was swapped for a HX1050. :D
    I can only recommend Corsair RMA they are very quick. :)

But it is not all that funny to rewire a whole rig that is a lot of cables. :)
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited April 2013
    Oh no. Spoke too soon. The new PSU is now dead as well.
    Even turned off it blows the plug fuse every time I turn on the power strip it is connected to. And it even does it outside the case as well.
    Time for a secondat RMA this is gerning expensive.

Maybe I have ben a bit unlucky with Corsair?
    Had a DOA matched pair of DIMMS
    A DOA H100 cooler
    A dead HX1000 PSU
    A dead HX1050 PSU
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I'd wager something else is wrong with your system. That's too many deaths to be mere coincidence.
  • RAM, Cooler Fan, PSU, what they all have in common? The Motherboard. Is it grounded properly? I've seen a loose screw get caught behind boards and they can cause all kind's of electrical havok. Pull it apart and look behind the board.

Other thing to consider is the power source it's plugged into. You getting clean power from your outlet? Using a power conditioner? Cable or Fios modem running from coax maybe picking up a little stray voltage? I've actually seen this in my own home where I had a little stray voltage on a coax line.

Easiest thing to troubleshoot, get behind that mobo and make sure it seems to be grounded on it's standoff's properly, no metal touching from the back.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited April 2013
    Oh I forgot to metion the Corsair products have not all died in recent times. It has been over the course of a few years.
    And in three different builds with three different PSU's in different plugs, power strips etc.
    The memory modules were DDR2 I have not used that for a couple of years. :)
    The H100 had a faulty pump not related to the power as such.

And furthermore I have tested the PSU isolated outside the system. It was lying on a wooden chair, and even then it was blowing the fuse. Normally I do not have problems with blown fuses. It has happened once before aside from this.
    Nothing was plugged into it and it wasn't even turned on as such. It blew the fuse in standby.