UPSHitman is finally going to lose some weight

UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big NastyIndianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
Yes it's true I have finally had enough of all this weight that has been on me for the majority of my life. For those of you that know me I am one big man. I have always used "being tall" as an excuse (I am 6'7"ish) and in the past I have avoided threads like these like the plague. But this last Friday I dusted off my old scale and I weighed in at an alarming 311lbs. I stood there and thought about my two young daughters and wife and I realized that if I keep ballooning like this I may not be around long to see their long lives. I did the math and I at times was eating over 4,000 caloires a day!!! So I got this great app called "Lose it" for my smartphone. After just watching my calories and some mild exercising (I am in no shape to do anything rough) for 5 days I have already lost 4.6lbs (weighed in at 304.4). My short term goal is to lose 30lbs. Long term is to lose 100lbs. This is very hard as most of you know but with the support from my famliy and my Icrontic family I know I can do it! I will keep you poseted on my progress.
MomOfRosecolaprimesuspectUPSLynxIlriyasardichokeCantiMrTRiotBobbyDigiCreeperbane2kimono54

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2013
    Find your body fat percentage. Find out how many pounds that actually is. Multiply that number by 27. That number is how many calories you can safely burn per day.

I'd estimate the amount of calories you burn WITHOUT exercise to be 3200 per day. Eat < 3200 calories a day, and you'll lose fat. You can eat whatever you want, as long as the difference between what you're burning and what you're eating is no larger than the number you calculated above and no smaller than 1. If you want to eat more, do some cardio to raise that 3200 number to 3400 or 3600 or something.

3500 calories burned is one pound.

And if my guestimates of your BF% are right, you could be done with your 30 pounds in as little as 6 weeks if you worked at the limit of what's safe. More realistically, it will take you about 10-12 weeks.

//EDIT: Example time!
    UPSLynx
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Hey man, all I can tell you is that I KNOW you can do it. If I can do it, ANYBODY can do it. We're all here for you :D Those baby girls are a FANTASTIC reason to lose weight <3
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    Thanks! btw I had a typo my latest weight is 306.4.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Badass, dude. Proud of you. It's not as hard as people think it is, and Thrax provides sound advice. Keep to it dude!
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    You got this.
  • Checking in on you, if that's ok. Sometime's it's nice to have people to report to, sometimes it's depressing. But if you're willing to share, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know how it's going, good or bad.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Yo Shitman! U Still Fat Yo?

<4 Digi
    primesuspectUPSLynxJBoogaloo
  • How goes your journey? I'm done with my first full week of better eating and exercise and I'm seeing muscle gain and lost inches. Rooting for you, man!
  • UPSHitman said:

Weighed in at 301 down from 311. I've lost 10lbs so far!

That's awesome!! Way to go!

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    Sounds like you're having success with what you're doing. Congrats

Another point you may want to consider is the presence of carbohydrates and sugar in your diet. Your body will first look to your muscles for stored sugar reserves, then blood sugar, then finally break down stored fat cells and protein for energy. The less carbs and sugars in your diet, the quicker your body will look to body fat for energy.

Also, insulin, which your body releases to counteract high blood sugar levels is a fat storage hormone and contribute to hunger.
    UPSLynx
    ^5 Hitman

-Digi
  • IvanIvan Icrontian
    edited April 2013
    Minor thread hijack, but relevant discussion.

@thracks last week I finally manned up and started getting back into the exercise game and taking diet seriously. I'm working with the calculations you posted earlier and just wanted to clarify.

With waist measurements (I don't have calipers, so may not be accurate), I'm estimated to have 25% body fat. That's 58lbs of fat based on my current weight.

58*27 = 1572.25 calories.

Knowing that, does this mean 1500ish calories should be my target daily intake to lose combined with exercise without nuking muscle? Or do I need more considering my height/size and running ~2miles? That number seems low to me, and have had some people suggest it is.

I'm tracking foods and meals now, have stocked up on veggies and high-protein foods. Welcome to any suggestions.
    mertesn
    edited April 2013
    1572 assumes you're not doing any cardio. It assumes a sedentary lifestyle, e.g. desk job and computering at home. If you're doing 300 calories of running every day, then it's 1872, as an example. Weight lifting, to put a finer point on it, burns virtually no calories (anaerobic process).

Daily calories burned is purely a function of weight and, to a significantly lesser extent, muscle mass. This statement presumes you're healthy and your hormone levels are normal. Your gender and height has nothing to do with it, except as factors that influence how much you weigh and how much muscle mass you have.

Women are statistically shorter and have lower muscle mass. That's genetic. That's why most people commonly believe being female means you automatically burn fewer calories per day, buuuuut if you have a man and a woman of the same age within 5 pounds of one another, their metabolisms will be within +/-75 calories of one another.
    Alright, that makes sense. So the 1572/1872 numbers are the amount I -should- be eating then? Below that is it starvation mode? Above that diminishing returns?

Just wanna be totally clear so I don't do something dumb. I can't into diet.
    edited April 2013
    Starvation mode is a myth based on a very bad 1970s study conducted on people eating less than 800 calories per day for months. Metabolic science has come a long way since then.

Your calorie target is (TDEE-(FAT_POUNDS*27))+CARDIO_BURNED_CALS. Going below that target will still burn fat, but start burning muscle as well.
    Perfect, that's what I was looking for. Thanks a lot dude.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    I might suggest, smoking some weed.

Everyday even.
    UPSLynxUPSHitmanMAGICJBoogaloo
    Last point: http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

Very accurate TDEE calculator. Use the "sedentary" setting for days you don't cardio, and then use the other settings until you find a TDEE that matches (sedentary+CARDIO_BURNED_CALS)
    Winfrey said:

I might suggest, smoking some weed.
    Everyday even.

My sources confirm that this usually does not help in losing weight but also confirm that you can indeed lose weight while still partaking erry day.

-Digi
    UPSLynx
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    Damn hijacking terrorist Lynx!
    UPSLynx
    How's week 6 lookin' Hitman?

-Digi