Dear 3D TV: Piss off

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Sony and Panasonic are already talking about a 4K disc format. Streaming 4k is pretty unrealistic, barring radical infrastructural changes, but discs? Yeah, we can do that.
  • I don't think 4K will gain mainstream acceptance in the consumer space. It's a worthwhile technology for movie theaters and sports arena's and countless other commercial applications though. I think if you look at consumer electronics, the modern consumer values convenience over quality. Look, people carry a bunch of lower res audio files in their pockets and play them back on itsy bitsy ear buds, because it fits in your pocket, not because it's a better experience. People want to stream their content, not because it's better, but because it's more convenient. Optical disks are last years news, can I play a blu-ray on my tablet? I agree, 4K even if it's feasible to stream it at some point, I don't see anyone bending over backwards to implement it when what we have now is good enough for any 65" or less screen. I just don't see people rushing out to buy more HD than HD. I think it's wasted marketing in the consumer space. 4K is only practical for commercial applications. For consumers they need to focus on convergence. Less Wire's, TV's with more applications and better wireless connectivity.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    mertesn
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Reviving older discussion with this review of a $1500 4K TV
    Now, 4K is a future I can get behind.

FUN FACT FROM YOUR FRIENDLY LOCAL AMD EMPLOYEE: All AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series products are equipped to display 4K content over DisplayPort or HDMI. The HD 7900 Series is sufficiently powerful for gaming in 4K as well.
    UPSLynx
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Tushon said:

A $1500 4K TV without apps, internet connectivity, or any other fancy features? I wish more companies would do this. I'd ask if there was a tuner built in, but I guess with (almost) mandatory set top boxes for anything not OTA, it doesn't really matter. Money will probably try to leave my pocket when 80+ inch panels become somewhat reasonably priced.
  • 4K is sweet, but it will not gain acceptance at home during the PS4's life cycle. It's current application is going to be huge screens in public venues digital movie theater projection. 1080P will be perfectly fine for home consumers for the foreseeable future. (FYI, I'm always right about consumer electronics, seriously, don't argue, I'll just come back to this thread five years from now and laugh at you).
    someone said somewhere something
    mertesn said:

Tushon said:

A $1500 4K TV without apps, internet connectivity, or any other fancy features? I wish more companies would do this. I'd ask if there was a tuner built in, but I guess with (almost) mandatory set top boxes for anything not OTA, it doesn't really matter. Money will probably try to leave my pocket when 80+ inch panels become somewhat reasonably priced.
    Indeed. The point the author made was spot-on ("doesn't leave much room for R&D but they'll actually sell units"). At 80+ inches, doesn't projector generally make more sense or is your room not appropriate for that? I know 4k projectors aren't anywhere near reasonable right now, but neither are 4k TVs at that size (both were singly available, and $23k/$25k respectively).
    edited April 2013
    Tushon said:

Indeed. The point the author made was spot-on ("doesn't leave much room for R&D but they'll actually sell units"). At 80+ inches, doesn't projector generally make more sense or is your room not appropriate for that? I know 4k projectors aren't anywhere near reasonable right now, but neither are 4k TVs at that size (both were singly available, and $23k/$25k respectively).

We do all our TV/movie watching in the living room, which doesn't have very good lighting control. Also we have cats who would find a screen to be a delightful (if expensive) scratching surface.

...at which point I'd have a custom catskin screen.
    Oh man. That would be terrible indeed. My recent experience with cat has been one who doesn't know how to be a cat (i.e. doesn't scratch things, doesn't clean up it's litter box properly, scared to run outside at the first chance, enjoys wearing costumes) so I forget about these problems.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Thrax said:

Now, 4K is a future I can get behind.

FUN FACT FROM YOUR FRIENDLY LOCAL AMD EMPLOYEE: All AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series products are equipped to display 4K content over DisplayPort or HDMI. The HD 7900 Series is sufficiently powerful for gaming in 4K as well.

#BHS™
    mertesnThrax
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    h.265 and 4K up in a tree....
    also, I can't imagine the build quality of this is uber, but...

Seiki 50" Class 4K 2160p 120Hz LED HDTV - 3840 x 2160, 16:9, 120Hz, 5000:1 Native, 6.5ms, 3x HDMI, VGA (SE50UY04)

for some reason I suddenly want a Dell 30" monitor less and a 50" ZOMG 4K $1500 TV PLAYING GAMES....

maybe
    PCPer did a 90-minute video review on that TV. Very informative.
    Thrax said:

PCPer did a 90-minute video review on that TV. Very informative.

o.O

off to see how bad it is...
    fatcat said:

Seiki 50" Class 4K 2160p 120Hz LED HDTV - 3840 x 2160, 16:9, 120Hz, 5000:1 Native, 6.5ms, 3x HDMI, VGA (SE50UY04)

for some reason I suddenly want a Dell 30" monitor less and a 50" ZOMG 4K $1500 TV PLAYING GAMES....

maybe

Someone needs to click on links :D

Same TV I linked to
    Tushon said:

fatcat said:

maybe

Same TV I linked to
    Looks more like a Radeon HD 7990 review to me...
    mertesn said:

Tushon said:

fatcat said:

maybe

Same TV I linked to
    Looks more like a Radeon HD 7990 review to me...
    I will say I didn't click on his link, so poo on me. However, who mis-titles links like that?
    edited April 2013
    I read threads from newest to oldest Nick, hadn't scrolled far enough up. muh bad :p
    I see. You are a strange man. :D
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2016

3D TV is dead.

Nailed it:

@Cliff_Forster said:
    but at home, its just too cumbersome to want to deal with 24/7, and as you point out there are definite trade offs.
    The next innovation will be getting rid of all the extra boxes and wires, a true integrated wireless ecosystem inside the TV. That's something consumers will pay for.

@BuddyJ said:
    3D: Don't need it.

@Thrax said:
    Dear 3D TV: Piss off

Fumbled it:

@CB said:
    curved screens are the future.

@Thrax said:
    Streaming 4k is pretty unrealistic,

Ah Yes said:
    3dtv is badass. You are the same people who decried DVD when it made VHS obsolete. Affordable 3dtv without glasses is about ten years away. Happy waiting! I'm going to enjoy my TC-P54VT25 now.

UPSLynxStrikesBuddyJ
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

Have yet to use the 3D feature of my TV. Don't even know how to get the movies and play them.

• Ding-dong 3D is dead!

Now "Smart" TVs need to die. TV manufacturers are just proving over and over again that they're either unable or unwilling to provide software support for a consumer device. It has become a security issue in some cases too (Example: https://www.grahamcluley.com/2014/03/philips-tv/). Buy a dumb panel and plug the smart into it from a company that has a vested interest in fixing and upgrading the software on it. Yes it means you need to have a cable, but at least you don't have to replace your whole TV when your TV manufacturer decides to stop patching it after a year, leaving you with a not-fully-functional or, worse, insecure TV set.

mertesnGarg
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

@ardichoke said:
    TV manufacturers are just proving over and over again that they're either unable or unwilling to provide software support for a consumer device. It has become a security issue in some cases too

This argument is why I continue to suspect AppleTV will one day be an actual TV.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited February 2016

I highly doubt that will happen. For one, there's not enough profit margin in TVs for Apple to be interested. They're much more interested in high margin wrist jobs and fondle slabs. Also, TVs don't fit well with Apple's one-size-fits-all mantra. In order to reel in enough consumers, you need to offer an array of sizes to fit various lifestyles and room sizes. I think it's pretty clear Apple prefers to offer one or two different variations of a product (from a physical size standpoint). Either they'd have a big flop on their hands because they would only offer 2 sizes of TV, thus not appealing to enough people, or they would be making a huge departure from their existing modus operandi.

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

For now, my TV does do some smart things I like - it has a Netflix app, it has an Amazon Video app, it has a Skype app - but yeah, if I could get a separate box to do those things, I might be happier. The TV doesn't exactly have the processing power to be as smooth as I'd like, and there's probably no need for it to have the level of power it does if it was just to display signal instead.

_k
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

Kinda surprised it took so long. I know a few people who own 3D TVs that bought in during the mega hype that never, ever, ever use them.

I never got around to buying a new display for my PC (lolololol 8 years later), and the only reason I own any 3D blu-ray content is because they come bundled in the deluxe editions of films.

Also:

@CB said:

Do want. Real talk.

• Three years later, I was actually half wrong (IMPOSSIBLE)... 4K has gained far more traction in homes than I could have imagined. I could not foresee electronics manufactures charging such a slight premium for them. My son just went out and got a Samsung 55" 4K set and when considering it was only about $150 more than a similar 1080P model you would be foolish not to invest just a little more for your primary set.

I bet in another year or so it will get to the point where electronics manufacturers consolidate their lines and go completely 4K, at least in the larger sizes 40" and up.

I'm not sure it does a tremendous amount to improve the viewing experience, not like going from 4:3 SD to 16:9 HD broadcasts did, but it's a solid manufactured demand to keep the TV industry viable.

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

@UPSLynx said:

@CB said:

Do want. Real talk.

Samsung has oodles of them. I had to actively avoid them to find the TV I really wanted (and eventually ended up with a Sony instead of a Samsung at all).

HDR+4K is the future. Not just 4K. I am 100% confident I am right on this. From 10 feet away on a 50" screen, 720p vs. 1080p vs. 4K has pixel density that exceeds human visual acuity (60 pixels per 1 degree of vision). This is why people say "I can't tell the difference."

But nobody can fail to see the difference between a TV without HDR vs. one with HDR.

HDR is fucking mind-blowing.

mertesn