Merlin SM8 Watercooling build

csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
edited May 2013 in Hardware
As I begin my new build from the case onward I will list parts being purchased, as well as parts I am considering, as well as parts I plan to reuse.

This will be a drawn out build so don't expect instant results. Also, please feel free to express your expertise.

I am a functional type of guy, and usually ignore the aesthetics to some degree, however, I do appreciate tidiness when it comes to cable management, and placement of most things. This new case should afford me plenty of area behind the motherboard tray area to put all of the ugliness out of sight, and what I can't hide I can always sleeve.

Unfortunately, I'm not concerned about color coordination either.

Enough dialog. Here we go.

Parts Ordered:

Case (as ordered): Caselabs
Merlin SM8 Case
Case Color: Black Matte
Orientation: Reverse
MB Door Style: Ventilated
Cable Side Door: Ventilated
Top Cover: Ventilated
Top Chassis Mount: Drop-in Style with 120.4 mount
Bottom Chassis Mount: 120.4 Radiator Mount
I/O Panel: USB 3.0/HD Audio
Flex-Bay Covers: Ventilated
PCI Backplate: Hex Mesh
GPU Waterblock: EK
EK-FC570 GTX SE (rev. 1.1) - EN (Nickel)

As soon as the case arrives I will begin to decide how I want it set up and the order options like flex bay radiator mounts, casters, accessory mounts, etc..

Parts Considering:

Fans: BlackNoise
NB-eLoop Series 120mm B12-P 2000rpm 4 Pin (PWM)
Fan Connector: Swiftech
8 Way PWM Splitter
Pump: Swiftech
MCP35X Series DDC Pump
Pump Sink: Swiftech
MCP35X Series Heat Sink
Pump Mount: Alphacool
13155 Universal Pump Mount for 120/140
Pump Top: Bitspower
BP-DDCTP-BK DDC TOP (POM Version)Reservoir
Reservoir: Bitspower
BP-WTZM803AGP-BK Water Tank Z-Multi 80-3 Dual G1-4 Model (POM Version)
Reservoir Cap: Bitspower
BP-WTZPC2-BK Z-CAP II W/ G1/4" x3 (POM Version)
Radiators: Alphacool
Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 480
Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 240
Fittings: Monsoon
Free Center Compression Fittings / LightPort Rotary Angles
Tubing: Tygon
Silver Antimicrobial Tubing 1/2"ID-3/4"OD

For the time being I will be reusing most of my components from my preview build:

Parts to Reuse:

CPU:
AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX
CPU Waterblock:
Enzotech Sapphire Series SCW-REV.A CPU Waterblock
GPU:
EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1573-AR GeForce GTX 570 HD w/Display-Port (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
GPU Waterblock:
EK-FC570 GTX SE (rev. 1.1) - EN (Nickel)
Motherboard:
ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS
RAM:
Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model 996997
SSD (Primary):
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MKNSSDCR120GB-DX 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
HD (Secondary):
x2 Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10000 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive (RAID-0 array)
Monitor(s):
x2 ASUS VS248H-P Black 24" 2ms HDMI LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1
DVD:
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model AD-7261S-0B LightScribe Support - OEM
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM (LOST MY FUGGIN DISK & PACKAGE)
PSU:
OCZ Z Series 850W Modular 80PLUS Gold High Performance Power Supply

I think this is it for now, at least all that I can think of. My intention is to scope out Steamroller when it arrives and if promising, to upgrade to it or Hasselwell. At any rate I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Thanks & enjoy,
csimon
ThraxTushon

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    i think you should watercool your pump. aircooling is so passe
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    shwaip said:

i think you should watercool your pump. aircooling is so passe

mkay I'll do both.

edited May 2013
    I'll document now what I have in mind for the loop configuration. Res>Pump>240>CPU>GPU>480>Res. I'm thinking the 240 will be mounted in front and the 480 up top. This should invite a minimal amount of warm air into the case and the majority going out (upward). Maybe an extra intake fan in front and a few on the bottom mounted outside of the case. I may need one or more in the side for the vrm's.

I'm looking into filters as well. Demciflex for the front and side and Nexus or equal for the bottom.
    edited May 2013
    Reconsidering tubing to -

Tubing: Primochill
    PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing - 1/2"ID-3/4"OD
    edited May 2013
    double post
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I'm so out of the loop (harhar) on watercooling that I can't wait to see what you put together, csimon! Please please please keep us updated.
    I certainly will Thrax. FYI ...The case has left Sun Valley, CA and will arrive on June 4th. It took exactly 5 days to process and assemble just as forewarned (3-5 business days). I think the biggest difference is in the color selections. You're notified as you make selections during order.
    Performance PC's linked the wrong vga cooler for the sale and I ended up with the other block instead, the one I really wanted. It's cover is acetal rather than acrylic and as far as I'm concerned it is more durable. So chaulk on up for my favor.

Here's the update:

GPU Waterblock: EK
    EK-FC570 GTX SE (rev. 1.1) - Acetal+EN (Nickel)
    Case arrived late yesterday evening. Everything looks good except for slight damage to the lower left front panel. Strange that the container is in great shape. Anyway, here are pics -

The box ...

The well packaged box opened & upright ...

All the stuffing inside ...

Roomy interior ...

Parts well labelled & sorted ...

Junk in the trunk ...

PSU pads installed ...

Cable management plugs installed ...

Installing a foot and noticed slight damage ...

All feet installed ...

Different angle of damaged corner ...

The top lookin' so vented & cool ...

Removable tray with handle installed ...

The damn room in this thing ...

Drop in 120.4 roof mount is great ingenuity...

Flex bays rearranged ...

That's an overall picture taking session of the arrived box for now. Possibly this weekend I may install my current system and see how things go into place.

More to come ...
    Sonorous
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    This makes me want to try water cooling. I'm excited to see how this build turns out.
    Sonorous said:

This makes me want to try water cooling. I'm excited to see how this build turns out.

I will start buying watercooling parts next week approximately so stay tuned. If you have any questions at all or if you need references to parts & buying just let me know.

On another note ...

I posted some of the damage pics on Overclock.net in the "Case Labs Post-Sales" sub forum about 1.25 hours ago and within 45 minutes I had a response from Case Labs to forward pics to them so they could begin to file damages with FedEx for a replacement. Dude they are on it.
    edited June 2013
    I transferred my current rig to the new case. I've added fans since then but I'm too tired to take more pics so this will have to do for now.

Old rig in old case w/ algae buildup:

Tech stations setup:

Waterblocks installed:

Back view:

Side view:

So cool how modular this case is ...drop in 480 w/ PA160 attached:

Plumbing installed & ready for leak test, notice the kill coil in the fill tubing:

90% done, I had to rethink the cougar fan lying horizontally, big mistake. I thought I had a frog in my case until I ramped up to 100% CPU and realized it was the cougar. It's since been remounted in the door vent for VRM's cooling:

Air bled from lines and ready for fans:

The read has been redone, but this is just to show where the cables & storage are mounted:

This case is soooooooo much fun to work with ...options always seem unlimited.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    So if I am looking at this correctly, your flow goes from RAD to GPU to CPU, or am I looking at it backwards and it's flowing from the pump to the CPU and then GPU?
    Sonorous said:

So if I am looking at this correctly, your flow goes from RAD to GPU to CPU, or am I looking at it backwards and it's flowing from the pump to the CPU and then GPU?

Flow goes pump>cpu>gpu>rad>"Y" fitting>pump
    Most ppl feel that the rad should come directly after the pump to cool the fluid before it goes to cpu. I'm of the old-school where pressure to the cpu was critical in that you wanted to induce an impinged "spray". This was highly effective for the high performance blocks back in the day. My new build in a few weeks will go straight from the pump into a smaller radiator and then to the cpu.

While waiting for the new build I started researching rigid tubing and it seems that primochill has developed an interesting product here.
    edited June 2013
    I got my replacement case in yesterday. They shipped an entirely new case to minimize issues in the future. The swap over will happen soon when I have more time and the damaged unit will be shipped back.

Also, I've just placed an order for a few primary watercooling parts as follows:
    Bitspower 80mm Water Tank Z-Multi 803AGP - Dual G1/4" Model (POM Version)
    Swiftech MCP35X-WT™ 12 VDC Pump
    Swiftech MCP35X Series Heat Sink
    Swiftech 8-Way PWM Splitter Box
    Alphacool Pump Mount Universal for 120-140mm Fans/Radiators
    edited June 2013
    I felt that since Performance PC's was kind enough to look into the Bitspower 80mm Water Tank Z-Multi 803AGP - Dual G1/4" Model (POM Version) for me and actually stock it, I would pursue that purchase next. I did warn that this build would take time, and here is my latest advancement, aside from swapping over to an entirely new case identical to the one posted previously.

Opening boxes to reveal the merchandise ...

Here is the pump & heatsink. The TIM on the sink was provided with the sink. The TIM on the pump is leftover from the EK GPU block since I used MX4 entirely on that project. I went with the grey on the sink for this build since it had better coverage.

Naturally the foot pattern from the sink (72mm) didn't match the universal 120/140 mount so I had to score it for drilling.

Holes drilled with dremel & bit.

Viola, mounted.

Heatsink kit, mount, & reservoir all ready for the case. Could use some sleeving.

Stay tuned, there's more to come in the next few weeks.
    PirateNinja
    edited July 2013
    My next purchase was a few odds & ends from Bitspower & Monsoon. Here are a few more pics.

The new Bitspower 120mm Water Tank Mount Panel (BP-120WTMP-BK) is a much better direct fit with no mod required whatsoever. I highly recommend this part for the Swiftech Heatsink kit over my previous selection. I may have to add spacers to keep the screws out of the fan but I will cross that bridge upon installation into the case. You can immediately tell that this will allow better airflow from the fan below it than the previous mount.

Next is the installation of the Bitspower G1/4" D-Plug Male/Male Coupler Set (BP-MBWP-C07) which is a better choice over the included coupler to connect the reservoir to the pump since it allows the lower collar to be part of the system. It really tidies things up in that department as shown below.

All installed with Monsoon .999 Fine Silver Bullet Antimicrobial G1/4" Plug (MON-PLUG-AG-BLK), Premium G1/4" Stop Fitting (MON-SPL-WH), Light Port 90d & 45d Rotary Angle Adapter - 3/4" OD (MON-LP-45-34-WH) & (MON-LP-90-34-WH), Free Center Compression Fitting - 1/2"ID x 3/4" OD - Modders 6 Pack (FCC-1234-6P-WH).

A different angle. I chose the matte white since I like anything with a matte finish. My matte choices where black or white so I chose white for contrast. Also, I am using black o-rings for easier inspection.

There were a few D-plug sets from Bitspower to choose from. I needed to find something to make the 15mm reach (excluding 5mm G1/4" threading on each side) since the supplied 10mm wasn't cutting it. The C44 & C38 seemed too deep for my liking,the C28 seemed a perfect fit but I didn't want to chance it coming in a tad too short and not sealing well enough, and the C07 seemed just right with a extra 5mm buffer.
    Anyway, you get the idea.

The saga continues ...
    fatcat
    edited September 2013
    Sorry for the hiatus. I will have fresh pics really soon of the Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 480, 4x NB-eLoop Series 120mm B12-P 2000rpm 4 Pin (PWM), and PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing - 1/2"ID-3/4"OD. Next on my list will be a group of fittings to finalize what I need for an initial install (see below). Also, I picked up a set of castors for the SM-8 from Case Labs.

Next order to include 3x Premium G 1/4 Temperature Sensor Fitting - White (MON-TPL-WH), 2x Free Center Compression Fitting - 1/2"ID x 3/4"OD - Single White (FCC-1234-1P-WH), and 2x 45° Rotary Angle Adapter - 3/4" OD - White (MON-RO-45-34-WH).

More to come soon ...
    edited October 2013
    Ok here we go. First off sorry for the long delay. After the assembly I found a massive leak at the cpu waterblock which destroyed my motherboard. Since these pics were taken the motherboard has been updated and I've added the dvd writer back into the case. Other than that I've discovered that I can only use G1/4" barbs on the waterblock.

First up ...case on it's face for adding water and working out bubbles and leak testing.

Closeup showing various monsoon fittings including temp sensors in and out of video card.
    This helps to get cpu temp although none of the temps vary withing 1C ever.

Reservoir pic showing temp sensor and silver bullet. Still leak testing.

Marred cpu block from leak panic. Also you can't see but the 45 angle in view has a botched finish now.
    Nothing a little touch up can't take care of.

Eloops at top are beautiful. Very loud at 2000rpm but I hope they never have to get that high.

reservoir mounted over the bottom eloop and ready to run.

Closeup of the same.

Another closeup from a different angle.

Case closed.

As I said final is slightly different and will be updated at a later date.
    Annes
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    holy piss, that motherboard looks microscopic in that case.
    csimonErrorNullTurnip
    Thrax said:

holy piss, that motherboard looks microscopic in that case.

Yes. Plenty of room left for a 360 monsta in front as you can see. Very roomy.
    edited November 2013
    This morning I removed the excess drain hose and replaced it with a tee valve. The old Danger Den drainport plug must have been made of steel and not intended to be in contact with the water so it corroded badly.

Now with the replacement I can just connect the hose as I need it and be rid of the excess water and hose.

tada!

Edit:\ I stand corrected, not a tee just a valve. Also, the old DD fillport was not originally intended to contact fluid or be a drainport and that's why it corroded. It was anodized aluminum from what I've been told and should have been substituted with delrin or some other non-corrosive material. Looks like rust to me. Who knew?

Updates to come as I receive "Devil's Canyon".