Cloud computing is a trap.

SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
The Guardian has an article on the dangers of cloud computing featuring Richard Stallman of the Free Software Foundation. I'm interested to see what all of you think about the remarks in the interview.

http://m.guardiannews.com/technology/2008/sep/29/cloud.computing.richard.stallman

Comments

• DocFrazierDocFrazier Gladbrook, IA Icrontian
    By cloud computing, are they referring to processor power located elsewhere and accessed remotely? Or does he mean services like Steam and such? The former I think works great on a small-scale local network set-up. I've used a few systems designed like that. I can see his point though if the article refers to me as the consumer not having a tower at all, just a modem, mouse, keyboard, and monitor. I couldn't get by with that. I love services like Steam, that allow me to access my software purchases anywhere, but no thanks to giving up my own local processor and storage.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    They're talking more about cloud services and the amount of information you're putting into the company's hands (and, if recents reports are to be believed, the government's).
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    Tushon said:

They're talking more about cloud services and the amount of information you're putting into the company's hands (and, if recents reports are to be believed, the government's).

I, for one, welcome our new Google overlords.

DocFrazierJBoogaloopigflipper
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    I'm all for privacy, but sometime convenience gets the better of me.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    It's Stallman, of course he's going to take the extremest position. He also thinks that proprietary video drivers are evil. You just can't take him too seriously.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    ardichoke said:

It's Stallman, of course he's going to take the extremest position. He also thinks that proprietary video drivers are evil. You just can't take him too seriously.

Somewhat related, but GPLv3 has been the biggest fucking dick to me ever. I fucking hate it. I'm sorry that we bought a product, but I want to use your god damn software without having to opensource everything fucking ever.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

ardichoke said:

Somewhat related, but GPLv3 has been the biggest fucking dick to me ever. I fucking hate it. I'm sorry that we bought a product, but I want to use your god damn software without having to opensource everything fucking ever.

This is why I'm dubious of the GPL (and of Stallman's philosophy as a whole for that matter). It seems like the BSD license is more practical.

That said, as extremist as the GPL is, it has forced companies that use open source software to contribute back instead of just sponging on the community and close sourcing everything they add to the software... so... I guess it's not all bad.