Thief 3 E3 Demo

IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy CanadianToronto, Ontario Icrontian

Thief is dead.

Basil

Comments

• BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    What's wrong with it? Looks like a modern version of Thief to me.
    UPSLynx
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Excited as hell to play this game. Looks amazing.
    UPSLynx
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    The modern part is the problem I have with it.

I'm not saying they should change it because it'll piss off original fans they can do whatever they want but I can disagree with their choices.

Thief was the original First-Person Stealther it was and always will be unique not only in that but in the way it handled stealth. Not a single stealth game since has handled the mechanic the way Thief did. By adding in takedowns, focus moves, sonar, etc. they're taking what made Thief unique and turning it into yet another mediocre stealth game.

They're effectively attaching the whole series to modern, over-used conventions to appeal to the 'casual' or 'modern' gamer market and in the process destroying everything that made Thief...well Thief.

It's not just mechanics either it's like they've completely misinterpreted the original character. Garrett was a cynical, arrogant loner who wanted to ply his trade (Thievery) without having to be drawn into the conflicts and politics around him. Only becoming involved when he, himself became threatened (ex. When the Trickster tore out his eye, hence the mechanical one)

At some point someone has misinterpreted the Gothic setting for 'Garrett being a Goth' and so the character design has become this.

As opposed to the original design.

Garrett was someone who blended in with regular society, he looked fairly average, didn't dress above his social class. I find it hard to believe that a ghost-white individual with painted nails and black mascara is going to be capable of blending in with the common Victoria-era peasantry.

I'm thankful they've added in the ability to turn off the extra features, the sonar, the takedowns, whatever. I just can't see why the game needed them in the first place. Or for that matter why they allow you to kill everyone in the level without repercussion. Part of the first Thief games was his unwillingness to kill unless there is no other option. On harder difficulties killing someone would result in having to restart the mission, why not retain those restraints if someone wants to be Jack the Ripper let them do it on lower difficulties with all their fancy mechanics.

Apparently they've recently changed the character design and they're considering adding in a '2000' mode for original fans. If they do this then hey maybe I'm just fretting over nothing I'm just a little upset that one of the greatest games ever made now has to bend over backwards to fit the common mold.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Everything has to modernize. I mean: I love the Thief franchise. It's one of my favorites. I am the old-school fan of this franchise. If they didn't modernize this game with things like radars and one-button take-downs, I would not play it. My expectations for what a stealth game should be have changed since the most recent Thief game came out, and it would be lazy not to make the new Thief up to date with the rest of the genre. The character's aesthetic design is whatever, especially since it seems to be a true first-person, rather than a Assassin's Creed style over-the-shoulder view, I don't really care what Garrett look like on the box cover.

TL:DR: I love Thief, but if I wanted to play Thief III, I'd go play Thief III
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    The stealth genre is dead.