Without further delay... This year's Detroit Bike Tour!

djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
edited June 2013 in Community
This year's bike tour of Detroit will focus on the many outdoor street art projects that Detroit has to offer.
  • Grand River Creative Corridor
  • New Center/College of Creative Studies
  • Russel Industrial Center
  • Hamtramck Disneyland
  • Heidelberg Project
  • Iron Street
  • Dequindre Cut
  • Eastern Market
Map points:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=203848766378341280711.0004df656b5753429a205&msa=0

I'm currently working on the route, and we are also currently trying to figure out how many bikes we have available. Please let me know if you're in on this thread so I can keep a list of who's coming. I should be able to borrow more bikes from friends if we don't have enough, and this ride will be free. In the slight chance that we may have to rent some bikes, which is $15/bike, perhaps we can all chip in and split the cost.

One thing I will mention is that part of the Heidelberg Project recently fell victim to arson. If you're able to, please be prepared to leave a small donation to help them repair and rebuild.

If you are attending the Magic Tournament, a group of you will be able to head straight back to ICHQ from Eastern Market. Those of us who aren't in the tournament are free to stay behind. I'm planning to get something to eat at Eastern Market before heading back to ICHQ.

Remember to meet on the porch at 10am on the morning of Friday June 28th. I will be making more announcements about the event as I continue to make arrangements with artists and curators in the community, so stay tuned to this thread! I'm very much looking forward to leading this year's Detroit Bike Tour!
LincGnomeQueen

Comments

• For the record the bike tour was my absolute favorite part about last year's Epic. I highly encourage anyone on the fence or who wouldn't normally consider something like this to do it. @djmeph is an awesome guide. Detroit has an absolute ton of interesting history, sites, and good food. You can't lose.
    Linc
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    Now that I can actually make it on time to EPIC I'm totally in for this
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    So in!

-Digi
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    IN... too many folks mentioned how awesome it was so I'm in!
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    Definitely in. Last year was awesome.
  • maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian
    I would like to be in and play tourist, but am kinda gimpy right now....how difficult/long is the ride itself??
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    In!!
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    Will we be back by 2pm? I don't want to miss Giant Catan, but this bike tour sounds pretty spiffy.
    GnomeQueen
    I am a baseball nut and was just wondering if there was any way we could work out a visit to the site of Tiger Stadium on the way back from Eastern Market? It seems like it's relatively on the way.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    malia said:

I would like to be in and play tourist, but am kinda gimpy right now....how difficult/long is the ride itself??

I'm not sure about your level of gimpyness, but the ride is not meant to be a workout. It's meant to be joy ride. The only difficult thing is that the trip will be long. Possibly more than 10 miles. I will be posting the actual route and mileage soon. I think many that made the trip last year were surprised at how pleasant the ride was, despite how long it was. There will be many stops along the way as well.
    Bandrik said:

Will we be back by 2pm? I don't want to miss Giant Catan, but this bike tour sounds pretty spiffy.

Yes, as mentioned, there will be a group heading back to ICHQ around 1pm for the Magic tourney, and a group that will stay behind with me to eat at Eastern Market.
    CrazyJoe said:

I am a baseball nut and was just wondering if there was any way we could work out a visit to the site of Tiger Stadium on the way back from Eastern Market? It seems like it's relatively on the way.

This will not be a part of the route, but I will personally make sure that anyone who is interested can go check out the field where Tiger's Stadium used to be. It's possible that we can do this on the way back to Woodbridge from Eastern Market when the ride is over.
    @PirateNinja are you in?
  • Sorry I can't make Expo this year :( Otherwise I would have been insta-in.
  • maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian
    djmeph said:

malia said:

I'm not sure about your level of gimpyness, but the ride is not meant to be a workout. It's meant to be joy ride. The only difficult thing is that the trip will be long. Possibly more than 10 miles. I will be posting the actual route and mileage soon. I think many that made the trip last year were surprised at how pleasant the ride was, despite how long it was. There will be many stops along the way as well.
    10 mi at a lazy pace, with stops, should be doable, so in, thanks Norm!
    Bring your own bike if you can! And if you can bring more than one bike, bring it too! It's looking like we're going to need bikes, so anyone who isn't flying, please try to strap a bike or two to your car. There may be more opportunities to use your bike outside of the bike tour. As some of you know, I now live a block away from ICHQ and I don't own a car, so I bike everywhere. I'll always be down for a random bike ride.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    I'm a 5'8" stocky (big boned and large framed) with short legs... no princess bike for me... please no!
    djmeph said:

This will not be a part of the route, but I will personally make sure that anyone who is interested can go check out the field where Tiger's Stadium used to be. It's possible that we can do this on the way back to Woodbridge from Eastern Market when the ride is over.

Sounds good to me. I knew it wasn't part of the official tour but I'd love to see it. I'm sorry that I never actually got to see a game there before they tore it down.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I may be able to get a couple of Shinola bikes, but no promises yet.

Detroit's a great town to ride in. Very flat.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Joe, Tiger Stadium is only a mile from my house right down the street. We'll be able to go there any time.
    So far I have 3 1/2-4 bikes. HA! I have a bike that is small with a girl's frame, and I have a small frame Schwinn 10 speed. The 1/2 bike is a Schwinn 3-speed cruiser. I need to get new tubes and tires for it this weekend and see if it's rideable.
  • MassalinieMassalinie _k's Waifu Texas Icrontian
    My little gang of three would be interested in going, but we all just drove from Canada/Nebraska so we don't have bikes with us and would need to rent.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    So now that I'm going to Expo, I really want to do this. I just need to rent a bike. @djmeph Should I rent one from the same place as last year and ride it back to ICHQ to meet up at the porch? Any recommendations? I might be able to rent one from the guy I'm staying with Wed/Thr. I'll ask him tomorrow, but I should have a backup plan.

A real rental would probably be better because then I could get a helmet as well.
    We'll have the bike situation figured out today. I'm hoping we don't need to rent any bikes.
    edited June 2013
    Here's the list of who's in and needs a bike:

@Ilriyas
    @BobbyDigi
    @QCH
    @Tushon
    @malia
    @CrazyJoe
    @Massalinie +2
    @PirateNinja
    @Midga
    @Bandrik

So far I have secured seven bikes. I'm going to attempt to secure five more tomorrow. Route coming soon as well.
    edited June 2013
    OK, here's the route if you want to check it out.

Click here to see the map
    I have successfully secured 11 bikes for guests. Lincoln and I will also be riding. This means that Bandrik will be the first standby if anyone doesn't show. He was on the fence anyways, but I figured we would probably have one or two no shows. Also, I'll be watching the weather. I may cut the path short if I think the weather is going to be a problem. This would mean that we would skip New Center and Hamtramck Disneyland, but see the rest of the tour, and it would still end in Eastern Market, where we can get food inside if we want to stay for a while. See you guys in the morning.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    Considering I'm short on clean clothes to sweat in and I am on standby anyways, I've decided to pass and let someone else have my standby slot. But if you do this again next year, I'll be very much interested. You guys have fun!