Didn't think I'd see this one again...

AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut?Meechigan Icrontian
I was tasked with fixing a machine (2006-era Sempron) that had long since ceased to be useful due to crap buildup, infections, and all other manner of nastiness.

Since it was so far gone and it didn't have anything important on it, I opted to just wipe it and start fresh.

Interesting thing about this particular HP/Compaq AMD XP machine (I'm purposefully highlighting words to build the suspense for those who know) when applying SP3. Instant bluescreen bootloop.

So quick before looking it up, who can tell me what the problem is (was, actually, I've already fixed it and moved on)?

Comments

• I'm not familiar with the particular issue, but my fix for salvage hardware is Xubuntu more often than not.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I'm going to guess the infamous 0x8E BSOD. Bad RAMs?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    Bad Capacitors? Bulging?
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    Was this the issue with Pavilion and Compaq Presario systems (with AMD processors) that required a special upgrade utility for SP3 in regards to systems with AMD processors? I vaguely remember a similar issue like this (dealt with too many damn Pavilion and Compaq systems over the years, all becomes a blur), but can't remember (it was like 5 years ago I think) the exact sp number that Microsoft released that provided the utility that was supposed to resolve it. Course, I could be completely off as well. :P
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    Had to look it up; however, Google reviewed the answer. Quite an interesting predicament. Excellent sleuthing. Any reason why you had to put XP back on the machine instead of allowing it to have a dignified end of life?
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Colgere said:

Was this the issue with Pavilion and Compaq Presario systems (with AMD processors) that required a special upgrade utility for SP3 in regards to systems with AMD processors? I vaguely remember a similar issue like this (dealt with too many damn Pavilion and Compaq systems over the years, all becomes a blur), but can't remember (it was like 5 years ago I think) the exact sp number that Microsoft released that provided the utility that was supposed to resolve it. Course, I could be completely off as well. :P

That would be the one. Intelppm. Gotta love it.

As to keeping it around? Its still serviceable as is, and I'm doing this one as a favor.
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    Well, at least I remember something right then, lol. :)