Virgin Mobile

BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
Virgin Mobile is advertising heavily in our area about a $35 monthly plan with unlimited data. Anyone have any experience with Virgin Mobile? I work in a relatively remote area (Amelia, OH if you want to google) and many carriers have problems out there, but their coverage map looks like work address might be in a reasonable coverage area.

Comments

• Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    Betsy - My Brother and his wife are Virgin Mobile customers, have been for a few years. They both have maintained pretty basic level smart phones on the plan and are really pleased with the savings. In the Baltimore Metro area coverage has not been an issue for them. My brother and I get downtown together, we were up in central PA together recently, coverage seemed to be consistent. I believe they struck a deal to utilize part of Sprint's network.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2013
    Virgin is Sprint. You'd be better off with SimpleTalk or StraightTalk so you could own a phone that you could eventually take to another carrier if need be. Coverage would also be better.

Sprint phones are locked to Sprint.
    CBJBoogaloo
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Also, if you're going to go with something that piggy backs on Sprint's network, you will most likely be better off with Ting. They at least let you bring unlocked phones and only charge you for what you actually use (minutes, texts and data are all counted and billed separately).
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    Oh if Virgin just uses Sprint's network then it's a non-starter. I have coworkers that have sprint and they don't get data coverage at work and barely get cell coverage. Still hoping to magically find a network that is not Verizon that actually has coverage where I work :/ Thanks guys :)