Streaming Video Games

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
I want to start poking around in the world of streaming videos. Streaming a cam on UStream was pretty easy but streaming a program (Game) seems to be a bit more complicated. I know a few Icrontians have streamed SC2 in the past so was hoping for some tips.

Is there a free option? Seems like the recommended streaming software I come across comes at a price. Not that I am against buying one if that is what I need to do, but I would like to try it out a bit before I go that far.

Thanks for any help IC,

-Digi

Comments

• brightbright Icrontian
    I think a lot of people use Xsplit. There is a free version, and you can buy a license to remove ads and get other things.
  • http://obsproject.com/ is very good. I use it with twitch.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    Second OBS, the IC guys that stream all use it AFAIK. Setup is pretty straightforward with twitch - used THIS guide to get up and running.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Thirding OBS + Twitch.tv.

I ran a CoH2 launch night stream with the Sunday Night Fight guys from my apartment using OBS/Twitch.tv. It was my first time ever setting up and executing a stream, and everything was so straight forward that we had it all running smoothly with multiple mics and video input sources in about 20 minutes without reading any documentation. Highly recommended, lots of fun.
  • Is it just me, or is OBS more bandwidth-heavy than XSplit? I was streaming some Majora's Mask to Twitch for some friends recently and while my upload speed while at home is pretty slow (300kb/s, I can't wait to return to university in September where the connection is much faster), I'm sure I got much better image quality on XSplit.

Hopefully it's just I got my settings wrong, because OBS seems to have a lot more features than the free version of XSplit :(
  • Cathartis said:

Is it just me, or is OBS more bandwidth-heavy than XSplit? I was streaming some Majora's Mask to Twitch for some friends recently and while my upload speed while at home is pretty slow (300kb/s, I can't wait to return to university in September where the connection is much faster), I'm sure I got much better image quality on XSplit.

Hopefully it's just I got my settings wrong, because OBS seems to have a lot more features than the free version of XSplit :(

This guide may be useful to you:
    http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/219112-streaming-with-dxtory-guide/

If you use dxtory and output to directshow you are going to have a lot more control over cpu optimization and the frame encoder used during capture. You should be able to tweak xsplit in to working better that way.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    is it supposed to echo when anything comes over the speaker/mic, I'm getting bad echoing
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Do you have the stream open in your browser?
    Yeah, that fixed it, derp
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    OBS > xsplit IMO
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Giving it a shot by streaming Minecraft on Hardcore.

On Mumble if you want to chat :)

-Digi
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited July 2013
    Thanks Blackhawk for the feedback.

I need to figure out how to not output Mumble through the stream and also my intnernets seem to fail at being able to stream watchable video. I'll see if I can turn down the quality to compensate for that.

-Digi

I'm streaming LoL atm, in mumble for feedbacks and things
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I usually stream myself playing whatever the hell I happen to be playing each night. Usually this happens to be Rift as of late.