laptop goes dim

Hello,
I'm not sure if you still offer tech help, but incase you are...I am finding that my laptop gradually goes dim. I don't know why. I Find that if I minimize or close the screen I am on then it will brighten back up. This seems secluded to browsing the web. I have about enough time to enter a sentence before it starts getting too dark. This in in IE. Using google chrome it goes dim almost immediately. Some webpages seem unaffected by this though...have you ever seen anything like this before? Is it the backlight? Lamp? My computer is an HP G6 notebook. Please help :)!!

Comments

• In viewing this page now with it already sent it is not growing dim...it was growing dim when I entered the initial message though. Strange...This has been happening for 2 days now.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Um, some laptops go dim real quick if the battery is low, and slower if the laptop is plugged in. I had to get into the power management in windows and change that on my computer, or wiggle the mouse real often. Older laptop batteries sometimes do not hold a charge well, so sometimes the laptops with 1-3 year old batteries, or laptops which are not left plugged in overnight, do this. I have a Lenovo that did this, finally found the dimming setting in power management in windows and told it not to dim the screen for an hour of no mouse activity, so get to move the mouse in use of it once an hour at least. I have a USB mouse plugged into my laptop, in your case if you do not, simply use the built-in pointer moving thing.

No, your laptop is probably not going nuts, and nor are you, it probably is an old or under-charged battery(could be something weirder, but much less likely so). The laptop I have merely times the time between mouse clicks or movements, which many laptops do. Some laptops use a shorter time between mouse clicks to dim screen.

I am not an average user, I am a retired computer and laptop tech, BTW.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Please consider looking at the following power options in Windows. The "dim display after..." option will dim the display to the user-configured brightness level after XYZ minutes of inactivity. The "enable adaptive brightness" option will vary the brightness of the backlight relative to the brightness of the environment; this behavior is identical to the behavior of a smartphone, but more obvious on the large display of a PC.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited July 2013
    Thrax said:

Please consider looking at the following power options in Windows. The "dim display after..." option will dim the display to the user-configured brightness level after XYZ minutes of inactivity. The "enable adaptive brightness" option will vary the brightness of the backlight relative to the brightness of the environment; this behavior is identical to the behavior of a smartphone, but more obvious on the large display of a PC.

Thnaks, Thrax, my Lenovo uses Lenovo proprietory power management. Sorry for my seeming to not be knowing where it was.
  • I'm afraid that neither is the case. the dim display option is set to "never" for both battery & plugged in. The screen only grows dim when a browser window is open...and to that point it only grows dim on certain pages and in certain situations. I have not been able to discern a rhyme or reason to it yet. I let the screen get completely dim one point (to the point that it is nearly unviewable) and it would not go back to normal & I had to restart it because it was so dark. This happens when the computer is plugged in, fully charged & near the end of the battery. I speculated at first that it might have been a heat issue (the computer was abnormally hot the first time it happened) but since that it has been doing it while the computer was first turned on after hours of being turned off. I also noticed that getting past the first page on Google chrome that it brightened back up. I'm sorry if there are no details here that give you an "ah ha!" moment. Feel free to have me trouble shoot...I am definitely not an expert.
  • ok...here's a good one...when I plugged the computer in and am using it on wall power it goes dim immediately. When I unplug the computer and run on battery it brightens back up again. Have you ever seen this before? And yes, everything that I said before is still true about some pages it goes dim on and some it stays bright on.
  • It's your power settings if it reacts to being plugged in / unplugged. I'd poke around in the bios / check for a bios update / update graphics drivers.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Do you have an AMD Radeon graphics card, or an AMD APU in your notebook?
  • I think Radeon graphics card? How do I check?

Definitely not the power settings...I checked them & played around with them & then reset to factory settings.
  • AMD Radeon (TM) HD 6520G
  • FYI, I am running my computer on wall power again and it is not instantly dim like it was before...this is completely baffling.