RPG Maker VX Ace 4-pack?

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited July 2013 in Gaming
This is really intriguing to me. Could save $5 each today (on top of the $46 SS discount) by buying the 4 pack making it ~$18 ea.

Anyone else interested in this?

Either of the two of you that have it have any thoughts on it? ( @Colgere @RahnalH102 )

Game on!

-Digi

Comments

• BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    I'm interested.
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    Haven't gotten to play around much with it yet, but it seems very powerful and intuitive from what I've messed with thus far. If you can find three others to go in on it, that seems like a good price.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Need two more

Paging those who have it on their wish list: @BuddyJ @Portzebie @Gargoyle @LazarusXero

-Digi
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Ain' got no money honey, it's true.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited July 2013
    If I receive my paycheck (overdue) tomorrow then I'm in

EDIT: Actually I'm in anyways
  • GuppyGuppy Warren, MI Icrontian
    I'm in unless somebody else wants to go in on it.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    In! I was waiting to see if it went to 75%, but the 4 pack price makes it a steal.
    Ok, @Bandrik. @Ilriyas and @Gargoyle. I'll send out PMs with Paypal info.

-Digi
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    I bought mine last night before I went to bed, and have been gone all day so I haven't had anytime to mess with it. I did research it before hand though and found basically what Colgere said.
    I am loving this. So glad I purchased it.

-Digi
    Oh yeah, how does it work so far?
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    Do we have to have it to play the games you are creating?
    You're allowed to export it as an EXE that anyone can play it's really neat.

We should get an Icrontic builder's project or something and see people make an interactive story!
    I've created a game with a few maps and a battle. I'm pretty hooked on this now.

If you only use default materials, you can make a smaller output file that anyone who has RPG Maker can run. If you use custom or you want to have anyone be able to run it then it packs all of the materials into a self extractor and it gets quite large. My game got up to 188MB. I've got a few ideas on how to make it smaller, if I can get it to a reasonable size I would love for Icrontians to try it out.

For those who have it, I give you DigiQuest 1st Build

That has the source file in it also if you care to take a look at the inner workings.

-Digi
    RahnalH102
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Icrontian
    AARRRGGG... gotta check back here more often... hope the quest making goes well @BobbyDigi...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2013
    People use RPG Maker to make their own and intensely intricate Pokemon games quite frequently. This tool is amazingly powerful.

Example: Pokemon Liquid Crystal
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2013
    @Thrax, I've never even played Pokemon and that looks pretty awesome.

I'm looking forward to playing with this. I really need to sit down and do some basics before my ideas get too far ahead of me.

E.g., I found samples for loading external data into the game and opening network sockets. I'm interested in making something dynamic, and possibly linked to the events of another running game. Haven't even done a hello world, yet.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Took Digiquest for a spin. I enjoyed what little there was. Namely for the references. No matter what Icrontians end up doing with this I can't help but feel that there will be at least 1 IC easter egg such as these.
    BobbyDigi
    Thanks! I appreciate any and all feedback.

It took 5.8 hours to "develop" and can be beat in about 30 seconds. :P

-Digi
    > Wanted to play DigiQuest
    > Need RPGMaker
    > Sad
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited July 2013
    In comparison, Final Fantasy XIX (which releases in holiday 2022) will take a combined 14 million man-hours to make (1800 people, 4 years, 50 working weeks a year, 40 hours a week)...

...and can be beaten in 5 minutes as it will just be a corridor with a couple of cut-scenes and a boss fight at the end that uses quick-time events. In this light, DigiQuest's development-to-playtime ratio isn't so bad after all. :D
    primesuspectBobbyDigi
    I plan to host a file everyone can play later tonight. :-D

-Digi
    I really did want dem loots :(
    188Mb This is a slightly updated version as of 2am last night when the above file was compiled around 1am. It really is quite silly, don't use your time to download it with high hopes :-P

DigiQuest Stand Alone

-Digi
    Download 404.
    It's still uploading :-/ Dropbox currently says 24 minutes.

-Digi
    Is there a way to increase the physical size of the map? I can't seem to find the tool for that.

I want to immortalize a D&D campaign idea of mine in vidya game.
    Bigger than 500x500?

-Digi
    edited July 2013
    @BobbyDigi mine is coming out at something like 20x20 I'm sure.

edit: derp I found the size editor button but yeah the default was like 17x13
    edited July 2013
    Right click on the name of the game at the top of the map list, new map, there are settings for width and height. Each can go up to 500.

Edit: You can also stretch a current map by right clicking on the map in the map list and going into properties. The width and height settings are there also.

-Digi