RahnalH102's Rather Redundent Renditions of Really Righteous Romps of Risk and Reward, Real-Talk™

RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature EnthusiastNew Mexico Icrontian
edited July 2016 in Backlog of Shame
I'd put more in the title but it ran out of room. Anyway, I like this idea and while I lack certain "painful" titles that would truly make this like it is for others, this will still be a chore of sorts.

Anodyne
Angvik - Needs mini-review.
The Banner Saga
Bastion
BioShock
BioShock: Infinite
Borderlands
Borderlands : Claptraps New Robot Revolution
Borderlands : Mad Moxxis Underdome Riot
Borderlands : The Secret Armory of General Knoxx
Borderlands : The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned
Borderlands 2
Broforce - Needs mini-review.
Brutal Legend
Child of Light
Chucks Challenge 3D
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition Needs Mini-Review
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
Darksiders
Darksiders II
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Deus Ex: Human Revolution + The Missing Link
Diablo III - Needs mini-review.
Dishonored
Dino Run DX
Divinity: Dragon Commander
Dota 2 Needs mini-review.
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition
Duck Game
Dust: An Elysian Tail
The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim - Dragonborn still incomplete.
TES Online: Tamriel Unlimited
Enter the Gungeon
Evolve - Needs review copied over from other thread.
Endless Legend
Fallout 4
FEZ
Final Fantaasy VII
FlyN
Forge
Foul Play
Freedom Fall - Needs mini-review.
Freedom Planet
Garrys Mod -Needs Review
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
Grow Home
Guacamelee!
Guns of Icarus - Needs mini-review.
Hell Yeah!
Humans Must Answer
I Am Bread
Jet Set Radio
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
The Last Remnant
LISA
Love
Mark of the Ninja
Mirrors Edge
Moonrise Game devs have dropped this game. We'll see what there there is to review.
Naruto Shippuden: UNS3FB - Needs mini-review.
Nihilumbra
Ori and the Blind Forest
Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
Overgrowth
PAYDAY 2 Needs mini review.
Prince of Persia
Proteus
Rayman Legends
Rayman Origins - Needs mini-review.
Reus
Risk of Rain
Rogue Legacy - Needs mini-review.
Sanctum
Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolves
Serious Sam 3: BFE
Sine Mora - Beaten the story, but that was so quick and there is so much more to do.
Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
Skullgirls
Sonic Adventure 2
Sonic Generations
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1
Sonic Spinball - FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
SpeedRunners
Source Filmmaker - Not a game, but I'm doing it.
Spirits
Starbound - needs mini-review.
Storm
A Story About My Uncle
Strider
Strike Suit Zero
Strike Vector
Styx: Master of Shadows
Super Hexagon - Hello darkness, my old friend ...
Symphony
Team Fortress 2
To the Moon
TrackMania United
Transistor
Tribes: Ascend
Undertale
Valdis Story: Abyssal City
Volgarr the Viking
Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide
The Witcher 1 & 2
Worms Revolution
XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Raptr Gamercard

Latest Edit: Updated List After Recent Sales.
timuchanBobbyDigi

Comments

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Tonight will be a night of installation as I don't have Borderlands on my laptop. My desktop is till in limbo. I really need to fix that since it's a (theoretically) simple fix ... ya know what, forget that. I'll get my Desktop back up and running first. Now to figure out exactly what the problem is.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Amnesia should be the game you are half way to owning because most of us are going to go through it. I don't think Source Filmmaker counts as a game but I suppose that is your call. Garry's Mod probably counts as something to play 10 hours of.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    edited January 2013
    I have Source Filmmaker on because I sometimes need "excuses" to get started on things and I would like to learn this program.
    Lot's to do in Garry's Mod, except I don't have a Counter Strike of any kind so some modes in it I can't participate in.

Amnesia ... I was hoping someone wouldn't mention it but I knew that was likely just wishful thinking. $20 bucks though, but I doubt that is an excuse anyone would except. This would be my first Horror genre experience and not just my first Horror game. My own nightmares as a child kept me from seeking out anything else in that realm of imagination. I do like hiding though. Something I've been doing all my life. Also due to said nightmares.

• timuchantimuchan Fishers, IN Icrontian
    +1 for what might be the best title in this sub-forum.
    RahnalH102primesuspect
    Was able to start on the Borderlands DLC today. Soloing this is still fun, but not having a friend to play with can make it rather annoying and sometimes even boring.
    Okay first thing I'll explain my method a bit. At first I was just messing around in regular Borderlands because I had forgotten how to access the DLC. Leveling up and expanding inventory space doesn't hurt though. After I noticed the DLC zones in the fast travel system it clicked and I picked one. At first I was just gonna go at it whatever way it occurred to me but after getting some other DLC spoilers it kinda changed it up. So I hiked it out to Jakob's Cove.

Borderlands : The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned Completed.
    What more can I say than it is Borderlands but with some "horror" and other flairs (Is that a tree?! By the Angel it is!) There are a few new enemy types that keep things relatively "fresh" as far as zombies and swamps can get. Humor and references abound as usual: Finding ECHO records of "Hairy" mentioning his van the Misery Machine and his pet "Scraggy". Fighting a hug mob while waiting for "red tape and paperwork" to be dealt with so your ship out of here can be sent in. Etc. It doesn't add anything as far as new weapon mechanics and the like go but the other DLC are supposed to have the new loots. It's short enough it probably doesn't matter much.

Overall I enjoyed this romp through zombie island and would recommend, like for most Borderlands sessions, bring a friend or 3 to amp pu the fun and difficulty (as this was a bit easy.)

Borderlands : Mad Moxxis Underdome Riot Mostly Completed
    This DLC basically adds Horde mode. Enter an Arena, fight waves of enemies, 5 waves make a round and 5 rounds makes a match, with loot drops after every round is completed. The mechanics of the game are altered throughout the fights. From enemies having increased or decreased stats, to certain weapon types only begin effective, to shields and health for both sides begin altered. There are 3 starting arenas and harder modes are unlocked after completing them all. Again bring friends as I assume that would make it much more fun. Oh yeah, it also adds a bank for yo to store loot and whatnot. I've completed almost all the arenas so I figured I'd post my report on this one.
    BobbyDigiprimesuspect
    I need to get good at taking screenshots. My thread will feel bland specially when compared to these others. Trouble is I'm usually so engrossed I forget I have the option in the first place.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    F12 --> Steam Cloud --> Link to image
    I know it's that simple, and that may contribute a bit to why I forget it. it mostly goes something like this: "Hmm that was a Kodak moment. I wish I had screensho- ... *sigh*" Like TF2 for example, I've only ever taken screenshots in it when others (BobbyDigi) mentioned they were.

That may become a thing of the past now. During tonight's playthrough I kept remembering to try and take good screenshots. Nothing notable really happened though as I kept getting my !@# handed to me since the 3rd DLC apparently does not scale to level. Thankfully I'm only a couple levels away from being on par with it. time to go upgrade my pack a bit then.
    edited January 2013
    General Knoxx update: I've leveled up to be on par with the content and it's still kicking my !@#, but OMG DA LUTES! Definitely a contender for best DLC for borderlands. We'll see when I finish Claptrap's afterwords. Was trying to take screenshots this time ... but for some reason Steam in-Game was not running so only regular screen-capping.

Off topic: I saw Sims 3 on the Midweek madness and now I have a penny left in my Steam Wallet.
    primesuspect
    Agreed. General Knoxx is the best of the Borderlands DLC. Claptrap's revolution is still really good, but Knoxx is the best.
    Two updates on different topics:

Borderlands related: I found that I can't take Steam screenshots nor regular "Print Screen" screenshots. Ah well.

Another addition to the list: Mass Effect 1 & 2. My friend gifted them to me. I don't think it counts as a "troll" gift in this regard as he didn't remember I was participating in this.
    You can skip ME 1&2 for this competition if you want.
    hmm well I'm gonna add ME2 to the list since I haven't beaten it on console yet and my bro has the console now so that not likely to happen. I have beaten ME1 as implied, so I'll at least be able to freely get the first playthrough setup for ME2 later on. Haven't updated much due to large influx of work at the job and birthday issues (ME Collection was one gift.)
    edited January 2013
    Evidently this challenge does nothing in regards to making me stop buying Steam games. Strike Suit Zero is now added to my Library. Also my brother got me into Planetside 2. 5 games in the last week. 2 by my own hand.
    I got home from work and for some reason wasn't feeling like TF2 today so I thought "ehh I'll see if I can get around to finishing Knoxx." However, I left my computer on from this morning and noticed in the task bar that Steam was downloading something. I check it. It's Dragonborn.

My resolve is renewed. The Borderlands series will be done.

Also I was reading some stuff (quick character bios) about Fire Emblem: Awakening and all I can think of is "I need to work more so I can get more money and have more freetime."
    primesuspect
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I'm curious how good Strike Suit Zero is.

I also did Borderlands on the 360, but unfortunately never got through the Claptrap DLC. I've tried a few times to play through it again on the PC, but the first area always bores me so much that I can't get through it solo...
    edited February 2013
    midga said:

I'm curious how good Strike Suit Zero is.

From what I gathered from other people, the main "flaw" is that it seems to have a rising difficulty that some people hated. Others noted that your NPC allies are pretty much useless and that the enemies are super bots. Hence probably the difficulty curve mentioned. I see it as part of the theme of the game. The description pegs the Strike suit as the last ditch effort for an Earth that's about to be obliterated so naturally I would think that is how the bots would be. Other than that people enjoyed the aspects of it immensely.

We'll see when I get there.
    midga said:

I also did Borderlands on the 360, but unfortunately never got through the Claptrap DLC. I've tried a few times to play through it again on the PC, but the first area always bores me so much that I can't get through it solo...

I see that ellipses there. As I stated implied (I have a habit of doing that) in the parent thread, I'm down for multiplayer. Except for Darksouls. !@#$ invaders.

midga
    Well, when you get to Borderlands, give me a holler :D
    edited February 2013
    Finally, after Awakening some Fire Emblems,

The Secret Armory of General Knoxx
    Probably one of the best DLC for Borderlands, if not the best. Still need to beat Claptrap's and then I can have a complete say on that matter. However Knoxx brings a lot to the table that would be hard to beat: an increased level cap, more powerful (and expensive) loot, a new rarity, new vehicles, new enemies, and of course new humor. This was also a bit of the School of Hard Knoxx (sorry) for me as I had my !@# handed to me many a time. Not that difficulty is a bad thing. It's not without things I found annoying though. The constant road driving can be fun at first but it got boring and tedious for me rather quickly. I enjoyed it and would probably recommend it to any Borderlands players.

And that concludes my masked relay from inside a Crimson Lance male enhancement ad transmission ... [bzzz] EnGORGE! [bzzz]
    primesuspect

a new rarity

RahnalH102
    edited February 2013
    Claptrap's New Robot Revolution Completed.
    I couldn't sleeep last night so I busted through what was left of this one. Still hate you insomnia.
    Probably the most humor filled DLC of all. It stars Claptrap so what where you expecting? Chronologically, it happens after all the previous DLC, as previous bosses from all instances of the game return. Apparently Clap can perform a form of Necromancy. :zombie: You basically go around making Swiss cheese out of Clap Traps and Trap controlled enemies, with the occasional group of bandits that found wearing tinfoil hats to actually work. And good Lord the money! I actually went from 400k to 999,999 while playing through this one. I believe this is due to the Knoxx DLC though as I tried Claptrap's first before I knew there was a timeline to these DLC, and the loots weren't nearly as good before I installed Knoxx. Over all Claptrap's Robot Rebellion was a fun little romp with plenty of stuff to shoot and laughs to be had. It doesn't add to the game mechanics like General Knoxx's DLC did, but what more could you really need beyond that?

Despite this I'm still not done with Borderlands yet. I need to complete a few more side quests and then give a whirl at the Secret Final Boss that I am hopelessly underleveled against and won't be unless I start a second playthrough.
    "There will be pain." " Oh so much pain!" ~ The Twin Emperors
    primesuspect
    Carry on! Fight the good fight :D
    I just tried fighting the good fight against Craw and his crustacean crew. I got slapped by one of the lesser minions and went from (rounding up here) 1700 shield + health to 75 health. Naturally I was owned the next second. During the bleedout I was able to make a few consecutive crit shotgun blasts to a minions eye. His health budged maybe a 1/20th. I can't beat em yet. being level 46 fighting level 62s and a level 63 boss kinda makes it that way. Other then that i grabbed some Pandora Fried Rakk for Marcus' broken heart, found a gold plated sniper rifle that acts as the ultimate spawn between a shotgun and a sniper rifle, and collected a ton of Clap Trap parts, some gold fish, a pizza slice or two, and some panties. Why Clap Trap's had those I don't know. I don't want to know.

Also, I'm sorry I didn't think of this before but if Steam's overlay won't work, Raptrs may be able to, and it did.
    SCREENSHOTS!

Nothin' like watchin' the night sky and the auto-turrets blasting bandits with your buddy.

I'm going to Disn-[Tarturus Station] ! :crazy:

Behold! The Clap Mind Trap! At least that's what I call it.

You are here. Not that knowing that is much good to ya!

Lutes! Lutes everywhere!

You, will die. Your massive amounts of "da moneyz" can't save you. Also, see that completed "Wanted Dead" mission? I cannot turn it in for some reason. Darn bugs.

And with that, I believe I am ready to move on to Borderlands 2. I'll still play Borderlands if anyone needs a shooting buddy. Just let me know.
    Before I get into the new mini-reviews, the following games are to be added to the list:
    Anodyne (Already done, review incoming.)
    Bioshock (I haven't been able to get this to run yet so may not get to this one.)
    Bioshock Infinite
    Darksiders I + II
    Dust: An Elysian Tail
    Proteus
    Reus (I can never spell that right the first time.)
    Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolves
    To The Moon (I'm gonna set a "Times I Balled" counter up for this one.)
    Worms Revolution
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    Borderlands 2
    What can I say that hasn't already been said about it? It takes the original, adds much more of what worked (gun types, characters, humor), fixes & reworks a few things (multiplayer ease, menu conveinvece) and polishes the heck out of it all. Now that's not to say it's a perfect game. There are a few glitches, an occurrences of questionable game design here and there, and of course you can slap some opinion on whatever else you want. I had a regular glitch in the inventory selection that made it near impossible to browse my inventory, and I'd have to exit out of the menu and return. An annoyance, but certainly not game breaking. The good far outweighs what bad there is. The story is good, the characters are engaging and hilarious, fun gun mechanics, easy to play with friends, and more.

If you loved Borderlands, you'll love Borderlands 2 just as much if not more.

Screenshots!
    Two things to note here:
    1. The extra bits to help make the BA look BA.
    2. Even the scope lenses can have etching, and other design the same way the guns themselves can be etched, have ermine, etc.

Aww yiss!

I messed up this shot. Can't really see it here but that Spiderling was actually walking on air for a bit. Figures it decided to be normal when I remember to take a picture.

Onward to the next game which will be Bioshock if I can get it to work. Some more mini-review are gonna happen first though.
    edited November 2015

I can't sleep. Have a review for a game not on this list, but is oh so deserving of one.

(This specific image is not from ingame.)

There is a version of this for the PC. I however got the WiiU version caused my E-Shop wallet had built up enough bonus cash on it to make this a freebie I became interested in this after seeing all the hype for it, all of which is well deserved. I don't have my capture card setup so no screenshots from me specifically.

Due to certain aspirations, I've been meaning to try and be a bit more critical of the actual design of the games I touch in this endeavor. To try and explain WHY the game is good at something or bad at something. Shovel Knight is probably not the best start for such a thing because it does everything so well. It combines tried-and-true mechanics from classic games to provide new experiences as a whole, yet remain a solid tribute to it's predecessors. The most apparent of which are Megaman, Super Mario, Duck Tales, The Legend of Zelda, and a bit of Castlevania (TURKEY IN THE WALL!).

The levels are unique to each other, and follow a certain theme that even the boss for each level is designed around (Megaman.) There are special items (also themed after their specific level) in each of these levels that can make your passage though the level easier, but are not required to beat the level or its boss (In various degrees: Zelda, Megaman, and Castlevania.) This statement is inferred and may note be 100% true. I say this because I never NEEDED an item to beat a boss (most bosses utilized key features of the environment you just went though,) and on one level I missed the item entirely but still beat the level no problem. This is one of the many ways you can dynamically adjust the difficulty of the game.

All the item, armor, shovel, health, and magic upgrades are optional. Even the majority of checkpoints are optional since they can be destroyed for a usually significant gold gain. Only the checkpoint in the beginning level and the one before the final boss are indestructible. There are even feats/achievements for completing a level/the game while handicapping yourself. Huzzah, bragging rights!

Speaking of upgrades, you buy these various power ups with the gold you find out in the field. Even the level specific items contained in big blue chests you'll need to buy from the (incredibly limber) entrepreneur Chester. Basically the better your score in a level, the more powerful you can get.

As you can tell from that pun in the last paragraph, humor abounds in this game. Would you expect something else from a game with the title "Shovel Knight" ? The majority of this is done through puns, there is even a feat/achievement for listening to every one of a certain characters puns. These are fairly well spaced out though, and there are plenty of other occurrences of wit such as the alternating "Level Start" messages and boss dialogue. "For Shovelry!" Oh wait that's a pun too ... well I didn't find many of them too cringe worthy :D .

The overworld is reminiscent of Super Maro Bros 3 with fixed but branching paths and roaming enemies. Some of these enemies are actually bosses that grant a significant gold bonus upon defeat, and a bit more flavor to the world.

Now that I've actually read the platform specific features, I would recommend the 3DS version if you have a 3DS. You get the same thing (and free updates coming in the future) no matter what platform you choose but 3DS appears to have the best bonus features, with an interesting Battle Arena, PlayCoins > Gold conversion, 3D, and quick select on the bottom screen.

In Summary:
    Shovel Knight is a humorous love letter to classic games yet remains a unique experience of its own. It's challenging, but never feels impossible. It's fun and will make you laugh (or at least giggle ... or cringe.) A solid game made by a solid crew of veteran developers (Yacht Club Games was founded by former WayForward devs.) I highly recommend it.

I dig this game, and I'm sure you will too. :crazy:

BobbyDigi