Computer Has a Sad

AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and HubrisAlexandria, VA Icrontian
My computer keeps rebooting at random times. It will go several days and reboot or it will reboot 3 times in 1 day, you never know! There's never an error when it comes back up and the only thing of interest I've found in the system logs has been a critical kernel-power error: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."

As a note, I've already run the RAM through its paces with MemTest.

Comments

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Oh, yeah, and in regards to overheating I've been running CoreTemp and the Catalyst Control Center recently to see if I can catch it getting out of control, never saw a temp above 61C across any cores or my GPU.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    61C on what CPU?
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    Is this a laptop or desktop?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    PSU failing?
    Desktop. Core i7 920. How do I check for a PSU failing?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    You rule out everything else, basically.
  • You can try going to control panel -> system -> advanced -> startup and recovery -> uncheck automatically restart on failure, check write an event to system log

Next time it happens you would hopefully get a blue screen with useful info and a nice entry in your event log with the same.
    MAGICBobbyDigiBandrik
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Anecdotally: The last two computers that I worked on that had this problem both had failing power supplies.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    X58/ICH10 combos of that era with heavy use are still relatively okay (both from a performance and 'not suffering bitrot' standpoint.)

It's the PSU. Most likely, the holdup capacitors have crapped out, so the slightest dip in line voltage results in the PSU going "NOPE."
    I would recommend Seasonic, Corsair (except VX/Builder), Antec, FSP (Fortron Source) or XFX. I would NOT recommend Thermaltake, as their best units are the 800W+ ones. There is such a thing as too much power. (The TR2 isn't bad but you can do better with the others for less money.)

Stay away from Rosewill, Diablotek, Logisys, Athena, Sparkle, Apevia, and Compucase at ANY cost. These manufacturers produce dangerously low quality units which also often lack things like overvolt protection, overcurrent protection, and have been known and documented to lie about wattage and features. This is the kind of junk they like to put out in the 'budget' category.
    Bandrik
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited August 2013

Anecdotally: The last two computers that I worked on that had this problem both had failing power supplies.

+1 that is exactly what my main machine recently went through. If you follow what Pirateninja stated and you still don't get a blue screen, swap the power supply.

-Digi
    What sort of warranties do OCZ Fatal1ty PSUs have? Paging @ryder
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    Annes said:

What sort of warranties do OCZ Fatal1ty PSUs have? Paging @ryder

1, 3 or 5 years depending on model. Fatal1ty is 3.

• Silencer MkIII has been good to me.