Now my main PC is down.

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
I've been having some really bad luck with PCs this summer. :(

So, now that I have no laptop on my desk serving as a secondary system, I had to move more devices over to my main system. While plugging one of them in, my system just died.

It was an instantaneous kaput. I plugged in the USB device and, as the plug was being inserted, the whole system just lost power, no error, no shutdown, nothing. It was as if I had switched off the PSU. Now, it wont do anything. Pushing the power button causes no reaction. There are no lights anywhere. The system is behaving as if unplugged.

Is it possible that a USB port destroyed my OCZ PSU? Is this more likely a motherboard issue? Is there a way I can 'reset' the thing, like a blown outlet?

Comments

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited August 2013
    I'm leaning towards the motherboard, but if something unbelievably unlikely happened it very well could be the PSU as well. If you have another power supply you could use to test with, I think that would be a good first step.

Also what was the USB device? How much power does it draw(in milliamps would be most helpful)?
    CB
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2013
    It's an all-in-one printer. It was plugged into a front-port temporarily while I was fixing the laptop, but I got tired of having the cable draped over the desk, and so I went to plug it into the back of the system box instead. Now I wish I'd just left it, but there was no way to know this would happen.
    What about debug LEDs on the mother board? When you switch the PSU on are there any indicator lighted on?
    CB
    Sonorous said:

What about debug LEDs on the mother board? When you switch the PSU on are there any indicator lighted on?

nope

edited August 2013
    So, again, if you have a PSU laying around that you can swap, that would be a good place to start. If you're really brave and want to see if the PSU still powers on, you can disconnect it entirely from the computer, I mean EVERYTHING, and jump the PS ON lead (normally a green wire) to a common lead. But I don't recommend doing that at all.

CB
    I don't keep spare parts laying around to troubleshoot with anymore. That's why I'm asking here first. I guess it's time for a trip to Microcenter. :/
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    Microcenter should have PSU testers that are pretty cheap.
    CB
    I took the system out from under my desk, opened it up and plugged it in, just to double check.

This time, the little on-board power button on the mobo lit-up, so I pushed it. The system powered up.

Now it's back under my desk with everything plugged in (including the all-in-one, and it's working up to snuff again.

Stoopid computers... :grumble:
    BobbyDigiZanthianJBoogaloo
    Glad it was nothing major.