Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn

AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
Has anyone played any of the beta's for the revised Final Fantasy 14? I haven't been playing anything since the WotLK expansion in wow. I bought cata and leveled my main but I don't think I ever entered a dungeon at max. I was just done with the game by that point. It's been about 2.5 years and I've got an itch to play something. The EQ Next info has me actually excited for the first time in a while about an MMO. We'll see though I'm a little concerned about the lack of holy trinity, I enjoy healing and if they go a route that doesn't include healer specs I'll be a little disappointed. FF14 has me intrigued and the wife an I are both thinking about trying it. At $30 a copy I can stomach getting 2 copy's and taking a little bit of a chance on it.

Has anyone played the beta's what do you think?

Comments

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    Its a lot better than the first time around.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    Played the beta with a friend. It's alright. I enjoyed it for what it was. My main gripe was that the game world felt a little sterile and it didn't jump out or feel alive to me. Hell, it didn't even feel like a Final Fantasy, except for the occasional chocobo or moogle.

Granted, I have not played FF11. I watched a friend play it a little, but never played it myself. Thus, I'm not sure if 11 also had that "didn't feel like a final fantasy right away" feeling. But, hey, then again, FF13 didn't feel like a Final Fantasy either, so I guess it's all relative.

Graphics seemed nice. Combat system was fun, though it took a little while for it to feel natural. A bit clunky. I actually ended up playing with a controller, just because I could. Music was nice enough.

Overall, would I pay for FF14, and continue to play it? If I had the time, I would. If anything, to experience the story. I hadn't done much besides the intro quests and a few outside the starter town, so it's not like I witnessed much. But as it is, it's not fighting enough for my attention to pull me in just yet. I'll likely re-visit it after an expansion or two came out.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I bought the game already, the next phase is open beta starting on the 16/17th so I would suggest hopping on and trying it out.

I would agree the game seems a little sterile and linear, but it has been fun so far. I am sure once I get a bit further into the game it will be better.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    Played the phase 2 portion of the beta and liked what they had done. I was really into 11 though so I'm going to be more partial than a long time WoW player. I don't really have time for MMOs anymore but I am seriously considering picking this up.
  • ickybodclayickybodclay Madison Heights, MI Member
    I'm a legacy player - I'll be playing on Excalibur! I played the shit outta of FF11 - about 7 years - and I am stoked for how vastly different this is from the poop they originally released for FF14.

If new players can't make characters on Excalibur, I'll be going to Midgardsormr.

Character name: Chunk Thunder

Anyone else have early access? I'll be staying up all night Friday so I can start playing right away!
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    Just got my copy in the mail! I'll be joining you on Midgardsormr!

Edit: I guess I don't have a Legacy account even though I have the original FFXIV Collectors Edition.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    I am on Malboro if anyone else happens to be on there.

Sullivan Beardo level 30 Gladiator, of the Free Company <<EPOCH>>, in the Linkshell "Bearded Gentleman"
  • waxwax the neroberg Icrontian
    50 SCH - Cavos Boomshakalaka if anyone is on Goblin