Photo-a-week, Pics/discussion thread for 9/8, Currency

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
edited September 2013 in Lifestyle
Last thread, a few people posted older pictures. That's fine, but the goal of this is really to motivate people to get out and take more pictures. If you want to post something you took previously, go for it. I'd like to see more new pictures taken though! <3

copy/paste follows:

This is the thread where you should post your picture for the 9/8 Currency theme.

Post the pic, as well as any additional information you'd like to add. Some examples would be:
camera / lens used
any interesting setup information
something you wished you could have improved
something you think turned out really well
etc

Need to host a picture? I recommend flickr.com over imgur. Flickr keeps the exif data intact, and does some resizing automagically. For resolution, I suggest 1024 pixels on the longest side.

Comments

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    again, just taking with my iPhone4... i should really get a real camera... someday....

btw this is the evolution of the 20$ bill, with tecnicaly one missing. there was a version of the middle one without the shiny bar on the side, but they were so "easy" to duplicates that the gov added those shiny things 1 or 2 years after. you can also easily tell which one i pulled out of my wallet by the fact that it's all bent and curved!
    shwaip
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    Edit: Not sure if I did the flicker thing correctly? I couldn't find a share button that would just give me the URL for the image.

I discovered that photographing a pile of coins is no simple button push. I had to experiment a lot with my shutter, lighting, and even my flash output settings (which I almost never play with). I ended up with two that I couldn't choose between for this shoot. Both have been cropped and color edited in post

I really like the color I was able to get with this one. The coins pop better here, and you can really see the age and variety of them, I think:

Coins final 2

This was the angle I really liked, though. The juctoposition ofthe various nationalities is more clear here, but the lighting isn't ideal. If I could have used the settings from the photo above to take this one, then I could have had one photo that I really loved, but the settings on that one required a tripod, and I had no way to tripod the camera above the coins, so I had to go with settings I could hold in my hand. I tried brightening it in post, but that doesn't help get the coins' relifes show any better. I still like the photo, but I really wish it had better color:

Coins final 1
    shwaip
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    CB said:

Edit: Not sure if I did the flicker thing correctly? I couldn't find a share button that would just give me the URL for the image.

I discovered that photographing a pile of coins is no simple button push. I had to experiment a lot with my shutter, lighting, and even my flash output settings (which I almost never play with). I ended up with two that I couldn't choose between for this shoot. Both have been cropped and color edited in post

I really like the color I was able to get with this one. The coins pop better here, and you can really see the age and variety of them, I think:

snip

This was the angle I really liked, though. The juctoposition ofthe various nationalities is more clear here, but the lighting isn't ideal. If I could have used the settings from the photo above to take this one, then I could have had one photo that I really loved, but the settings on that one required a tripod, and I had no way to tripod the camera above the coins, so I had to go with settings I could hold in my hand. I tried brightening it in post, but that doesn't help get the coins' relifes show any better. I still like the photo, but I really wish it had better color:

snip

You did the flickr thing right. it's better to do the link thing so people can look at the bigger one if they want.

I think the lighting on the first is much better.

For the second one, I'd try upping the brightness a little bit more, and also upping the contrast, especially the local contrast (which has very different names in different programs). Increasing the contrast should help get the reliefs to pop out a bit more. If you don't mind, I might have a stab at it, especially if you can link the original.
    Sure. Here's what I started with for that one:

IMG_1687

I also uploaded another version of the shot which used a low-power flash, but there were a couple coins which got washed out too much. I had considered trying to combine the two somehow, but don't have the post-proc expertise for that kind of stuff.
    CB said:

IMG_1687

I also uploaded another version of the shot which used a low-power flash, but there were a couple coins which got washed out too much. I had considered trying to combine the two somehow, but don't have the post-proc expertise for that kind of stuff.

cool, I'll probably play with it a bit later this evening.
    CB said:

IMG_1687

I took a stab at this, and put it in a flickr set. The process I followed was:
    1) Auto-tone button. Basically tries to make the histogram look how lightroom expects it to.
    2) It seemed very bright, so I dropped the exposure value. I also brought down the dark areas a bit
    3) I hit the "punch" preset. This increases the local contrast of the image.
    4) I re-adjusted the levels and contrast again, because it got a bit too dark
    5) added some noise reduction, which made things a bit muddled. Used sharpening to hopefully bring some detail back
    6) Added a vignette, because it seemed appropriate for old coins
    7) Increased the saturation on the colors present in the coins (orange, yellow, green)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25290649@N05/sets/72157635477770068/
    TushonCBZanthian
    Very cool. I particularly like how it brings out the cyany patina of the french 10 cent coin
  • NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian
    I'm not sure anyone here knows what currency is. ;)

Mind you, I don't want to set the world on fire.
    oni_delsErrorNullTurnipGHoosdum
  • erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas Member
    Some money from Egypt.image
    oni_dels