Peak bagging in Colorado

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
A co-worker and I decided we want to start peak bagging in Colorado. We're planning on hitting Blanca Peak and Ellingwood Point over Labor Day Weekend. Our routes shouldn't include anything more difficult than scrambling for this first trip, but we'd like to get to the point where we can do technical climbing.

@pragtastic or others in the know, what exercises and activities would be beneficial for us to get into shape for future trips? Would a hangboard be a good investment at this point? The college my wife works at has a nice indoor wall for practice, but I find I don't have the time to get over to it very often.

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2013
    Core and arm strength exercises, whole body stretching, endurance and just climbing are the best things to do as a beginner. After a little time (i don't know, maybe a month of going consistently) in the gym, a hang board would be beneficial to keep increasing grip/arm strength when you can't actually go to the gym. Getting on the wall is going to be important if you want to actually do well on a real wall because you can't get the full body work in on just a hang board. Since you specifically cite not being able to get over to the gym, perhaps a hang board now rather than later would be good, but I'd rather you make time.

http://www.reddit.com/r/climbing/wiki/index has some good beginner information. You'll definitely want to go with a guide or group when you start hitting trad routes. Sport climbing offers a great in-between (using quick draws, rope and probably a set anchor or none if you are similar weight) to allow you the experience of climbing on a real wall but almost none of the technical or gear requirements :D

Source: BSA certified climbing director :)
    BuddyJUPSLynx
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    I'm just guessing BSA doesn't mean Bullshit Academy, but I've been wrong before...
    MiracleManSJBoogalooUPSLynxTushon
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian

It's all I got.
    It's a start!
  • @BuddyJ
    If possible you should try to get above 8000-10000ft at least once a week. Just consider this part of your altitude training, and trust me you did the right thing to not push it. Altitude sickness sucks.
    JBoogalooTushon
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@BuddyJ
    If possible you should try to get above 8000-10000ft at least once a week. Just consider this part of your altitude training, and trust me you did the right thing to not push it. Altitude sickness sucks.

Only way to do that in Oklahoma is in an airplane or hot air balloon.
    JBoogalooRyderprimesuspectBuddyJ
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    BuddyJ said:

I tried rock climbing once, failed, miserably and yet still got it, go figure.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    BuddyJ said:

Just an update. I made it to 12,800 ft before the altitude started bugging me. The final part of summiting Blanca is a hike across the ridge line with an exposure rating of 3/5. I decided to return to basecamp at Lake Como rather than risk dizziness. It was disappointing to not summit, but I'm excited to try again soon with a lighter pack and being in better physical shape.

I didn't summit Blanca on my first try, either. The first time, I had been making fun of my friends with their fancy outdoor gear. They looked like Eddie Bauer or REI models. My Doc Martens, jeans, and cotton t-shirt weren't serving me too well by the time I got to the ridgeline, though. The next time, I caved and got proper hiking boots, and I was in a little better shape from having started mountain biking (where I lived 7200 ft elevation). Weather was also much nicer that time, and I cheated a bit by getting up to ~10,000 ft in Adventure Jeep.

Blanca is still my only 14er. Gotta catch 'em all, one day.
    BuddyJ said:

Just an update. I made it to 12,800 ft before the altitude started bugging me. The final part of summiting Blanca is a hike across the ridge line with an exposure rating of 3/5. I decided to return to basecamp at Lake Como rather than risk dizziness. It was disappointing to not summit, but I'm excited to try again soon with a lighter pack and being in better physical shape.

I totally agree with @PirateNinja about not pushing altitude sickness. It only gets worse and does so quickly. Regular excursions to better heights and proper nutrition are the two biggest factors in mitigating or eliminating it (i.e. lots of good calories and even more water). Great attempt and good job just getting out there and doing it.