World of Warcraft: The Current State of Affairs

FreshyPFreshyP Don CheadleCyberspace Icrontian
I've been playing this game ever since Icrontic first got me into it, and I've often found myself reminiscing on thoughts of Icrontic's WoTLK days. Throughout 2008 to present day, I've been consistently interested in continuing my adventures in Azeroth and over time, I've learned a lot. I began playing this game at an early age, and I was never prepared for the level of experience that everybody else played at. Just as I was getting a grasp of what the game was all about, the IC guild slowly started to fade away until eventually, I left too.

When Cataclysm was released, I began to play again. I was a bit more mature at this point, and I wanted to really get into this game. Over the past two years now, I've played with three different guilds... And only one of them let me raid with them. I had figured everything out at this point, and now, at long last, I'm confident with my level of playing. I'd like to get a few people to join my guild, if this is possible. As of this point in time It's just me and two of my friends, and I'm getting really anxious with all of these new patches coming out. I have nobody to raid with, and again, I'd appreciate it if a few people would join me on my quest to glory!

-FreshyP
midgaprimesuspectCantiRahnalH102ChoochTeramona

Comments

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    I miss the 40 man raids....
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    I ain't been on since Pandaria went live, but what'cha gona do when the well runs dry, eh. Still hopin for the rebs to win in the Ogrmar siege, I may be Horde core but I hate Garosh!
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Garosh is a dick.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Raiding wise, I'll be able to tag along with the battletag system: RahnalH102#1272

If you're Alliance or I just need to be on your server, let me know what and where.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    I still play on occasion, so I could potentially join is as well.
  • FreshyPFreshyP Don Cheadle Cyberspace Icrontian
    Anybody that's interested, send me an inbox and we can discuss details
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I got a seven day free trial. I logged in today. It will take me at least three days to relearn the game. Sheesh.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I bought a month sub a couple months back, logged in just log enough to look at the Talent "tree" and say "ohhhh, yeeaaaaa, they did that..." then log out and cancel the sub again.
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    Last time I played was when I beta test for MoP. I would like to play again so I can kill Garrosh Hellscream myself.
  • brightbright Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    @d3k0y, The new talent tier system is better than the old one, now I have real choices. Only choices I had before were use cookie-cutter build or no raid invites.

Some people say tiers should be switched or changed and I agree some aren't great. It's still an improvement even if you didn't use cookie cutter builds because all you did was hang out in Goldshire.

People think the old one is better because of nostalgia, a desire to have a talent-tree, and/or mostly because it felt like you were getting stronger and progressing because every level you got a point and even though it didn't mean anything you got one every level.
    JBoogaloo
    You get to pick one of three "talents" eight times the entire game. Honestly I preferred being able to pick something every level even if it did more or less nothing. At least it gives the illusion that I improve every level.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    I'd like to expect that in the next expansion (The Dark Below?) they expand on these talents now that they are completely tested.

Overall they have greatly expanded the choices you can make in the game; mostly in choices of how and what to play. Expanded race-to-classes, more efficient and varied leveling experience, 11 battlegrounds some of which you can access at earlier levels than before, better choice of appearance barring class limitations, meaningful content progression for most group numbers, maybe "all group numbers" with the new Flex Raiding, and more. Letting one little change get in the way of the bigger stuff just doesn't seem logical. Granted if there is much more that one is upset about then it can be justified.

The way I see it, WoW is a HUGE timesink that will be meaningful if you have friends to play it with. Even through the dull between patches I would still play because I had a group of friends to play with and we had fun. That group is mostly gone now for tragic reasons, so my WoW time has greatly declined. I'd like to get back to that with new and old friends if it at all possible.

JBoogaloo
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    It felt like skill progression in WoW was smoke and mirrors, especially with the expansions. Doubly so if you have friends that are already playing and you get into it. It always felt like a race to the end so you could actually play the "real" game.

This was my general impression around the time I played the game the most heavily (WotLK)-

Lvl 1 - Starting Point
    Lvl 20 - Walking places sucks a little less
    Lvl 40 - Walking sucks a lot less also OOH SHIT I CAN ACTUALLY WRECK A TINY BIT OF FACE NOW
    Lvl 50 - Fuck this place fuck this place so hard uuuuggggghhhh
    Lvl 58 - Screw Azeroth, let's go to a new dimension and immediately dump all this old gear
    Lvl 60 - Yay I can fly oh wait no I can't afford it SHIT
    Lvl 66 - oh dear sweet mother of god i just wanna get out of this place it's so boring
    Lvl 68 - SWEET RELEASE let's get summa dat Northrend gear
    Lvl 70 - END OF SKILL TREE - THE CIRCLE OF WRECKING FACE IS COMPLETE
    Lvl 72 - Fucking christ all of this Northrend gear looks the same
    Lvl 74 - 4 entire areas worth of quests later and my sword is a little more blue YAY PROGRESSION
    Lvl 76 - Ok screw this I AM GOING TO GRIND OUT THE GOLD TO FLY IF IT'S THE LAST THING I DO
    Lvl 78 - No
    Lvl 78 - Plz no
    Lvl 78 - Come ON
    Lvl 79 - Just
    Lvl 79 - Fucking
    Lvl 79 - DING ALREADY
    Lvl 80 - REAL Game w/ the bulk of your friends and all of the content ACTUALLY begins

....at which point I suddenly lost my account because Battle.net's security is an absolute joke.

I wish I could say it was the last time I lost an account with them before I learned my lesson to just stop spending money on ActiBlizz and Battle.net. But that's an angry story for another time.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    I had one issue with a battle.net account and precisely zero since adding secondary authentication. It's literally free. Not saying their security isn't bad, but it can be mitigated.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    I use the mobile authenticator, and Blizzard keeps sending me e-mails about me trying to sell my account. No big deal, I only use it for drunken diablo, but I still need to reset my password and re-authenticate my account before every event.
    RahnalH102
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I use the mobile authenticator as well. It's on my old Nexus S which no longer has an active cell signal, so that'd be rather hard for someone to get any of the info off of. Never had any issues, except the occasional email about someone trying to login to my account, which I ignore.
    I bought the standalone authenticator. I also love getting the security alerts for games I don't even own.
    RahnalH102
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Wow, I have had zero issues with battle.net. Ive never had the issue of emails about logging into my account, I've moved mobile authenticator across three phones with no issues, no billing issues. nothing. Of course, now that I say that, I'll lose everything tomorrow, haha. I haven't really been as active as I once was, but mainly due to lack of people. I'd be willing to jump back in if there were more, but that also depends on my time availability. Right now, I really don't have the time to just put into a game like WoW or other MMOs.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    Just reactivated my account.
    primesuspect
    I've started a toon on the server. Let the leveling train commence!