Made in Detroit: HDTVs from Element

2»

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    Wow, I didn't realize Element would ship you that many TVs as prizes for EPIC. ;)
    Looks to me like at least 12 TVs. Almost like door prizes. :D

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    It will be interesting to see if they can differentiate their commodity simply based on the assembly location being the US. That's a heck of a marketing task. If that is the only way they differentiate, then I don't see these selling well outside of middle America Walmarts given how they did the "ostentatious" packaging which is clearly targeting that group. If they have some price advantage, or really have some technical glory, then they have the potential to sell well online.

I think it would be a cool idea for Element to approach the Amazon Basics brand manager(s) for a contract. Since they are located in the US, Amazon could use them for built to order TVs and greatly reduce the risk they would have to entering the television marketplace. I'm sure it's a super complicated industry though, and I'm oversimplifying the situation.

I can't help but wonder who holds the reigns on their supplier negotiations and what incentives there are for those suppliers given that they are likely at least partially owned by the other major television manufacturers and the Chinese government.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    @pirateninja I spoke directly with the CEO about this very issue. I asked him point blank if the "Made in USA" was the only marketing rah-rah they could muster.

Surprisingly (especially despite their totally ostentatious packaging), his response was that he was more concerned with features and that he knew the Made in USA thing was not something to rest the entire brand on. This is the exact reason they partnered with JBL, a premium, household audio brand, for these sets. They want to compete on features first, and consider Made in the USA as an added bonus.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    Cool thanks for the info, I did notice the "The BEST Sounding Tv. Period." and the JBL logo but they are overshadowed by the ... well ... box design.

I'm really excited to see how things work out and what route they end up taking. It would provide some unique insight in to the industry just to see what their results are like.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    I think you cover a good portion of the market with that. You're going to get the "rah rah murrica!" crowd with the box design, and the critical consumers with the actual innards.

Once parts sourcing starts to move to the US, then it makes everyone even happier.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I don't know. That box design really turns me off. First: It looks like a box of fireworks. Second: My first thought upon discovering it is not fireworks is, "If their 'big deal' is that it's made in the USA, then how crappy must the actual product be?"
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I don't know. That box design really turns me off. First: It looks like a box of fireworks. Second: My first thought upon discovering it is not fireworks is, "If their 'big deal' is that it's made in the USA, then how crappy must the actual product be?"
    Pretty much what I was thinking. It looks like a Wal-Mart special. You know, the kind that's cheap for a reason...

I'd love to see/hear one in person though.
  • I think Made in the USA is a significant differentiating factor for HDTV's simply because all HDTV's are at least some version of pretty good these days. Go into a big box store, look at one LCD panel from the next, all pumping out pretty gorgeous 1920X1080 video at a minimum of 60hz, every set at least looks like some version of awesome. Now I realize the contrast ratio is a huge factor in determining image quality but the margin from the better to the lesser sets has narrowed over the past couple years, it's to the point where all LCD panels at least look some version of good, and Element is going to differentiate by putting in some standard speakers that don't suck, I'm sure for many consumers it will be fine. Sure, there are guys like us that will obsess over every minute detail, but for most consumers that made in the USA sticker will mean something even if the blacks are not quite as dark as on the nicest Samsung LED on the floor.

• I am looking for a 32" size. When will it be available? Are your products being sold in PA?
    Hi Frank. The only ones made in the US so far will be 46" and up. Yes, they should be sold in PA, at Target so far.
    edited July 2012
    The 39" Element TV is now available from Costco, and is assembled in the US.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    Costco gives you 90 return policy and extra year extended warranty for free also.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Saw one of these in Target when I was in Maryland. Made me happy. It was way bigger than I would ever get for my house though.
  • Icant beleive it but would be great' send me info and where they be founf to buy?
  • dont believe?
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Here ya go Larry

-Digi
  • I bought a 40" lcd element from local walmart store, have had the tv for 4 months,walmart warranty was only for 90 days. Have been having trouble with the sound,comes and goes, can have volume turned as high as it will go and can't hardly hear it. ( I don't have a hearing problem.) I called the customer service number and was told I had to send the tv have it repaired,,,147 miles,,,right!! 147 miles and I had to pay for the shipping!! Haven't checked the cost but I'm sure it will be outrageous!! So buyers beware!!!!!!
  • So glad to learn about Element made in Detroit HDTV's. I will be buying one.
  • Can someone give me an honest review of the Element LED?
    I've been trying to get a review sample for months, but I think they changed PR companies and the communication ball got dropped by them :-/
  • Just bought three Elements: 2 46rs and a 70 inch. Will give you a review after Xmas when we fire them up.
    TheRican
  • why are the electronics are still made some other country instead of giving the american workers more jobs and giving element the full prestige of the made in usa label,for now i would not buy from element until they make tvs here 100%.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    Personally, I would never expect something to be made 100.00% in -any- country. Raw materials come from all over the world. Plus, I would actually prefer the panel itself to be made in one of the distinguished existing LCD makers' plants. What you can do in America is things like the design, interface software, plastic bezel (injection molding), the TV stand, the wiring, etc, then assemble it here as well.

In short, it's not the 100% part we should get hung up on. Instead focus on just shifting more of the feasible workload to the USA.
    midga
    There is almost NOTHING that contains more than one part that is made purely in one country.
  • Unfortunately for all the good of being made in the USA they treat their USA consumers disgracefully. Terribly unfortunate. Element Electronics wont last. Just look at the consumer dissatisfaction comments everywhere on the internet.
  • There is almost NOTHING that contains more than one part that is made purely in one country.

Tell that to Shinola for 'buy american' day!

• SignalSignal Icrontian
    I believe he was referring to electronics by use of a hyperbole.

Eat that Mrs. Jarnigan! (6th grade composition teacher)
    I was indeed talking about consumer products, specifically electronics :)