The Pokemon XY Thread

Comments

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    Confirmed: Pokemon theme still gets me pumped up.
    Thrax said:

Also, people have been wondering which pokemans are exclusive to each version. Here's a handy graphic:

The important ones are the Mega Charizards at the top (Dragon/Fire for X, and Fire Flying on Y). The Mewtwo X is Fighting/Psychic, while Mewtwo Y is a stronger pure Psychic type. The pokedudes at the bottom are Yveltal and Xerneas, the legendaries for Pokemon Y and X, respectively.

On the left, you'll see the armor-plated Pokemon. That's Aron -> Lairon -> Aggron, a defensively great pokemon that has a Mega evolution that's pure steel. On the right you'll see that gonna-break-tokyo-lookin'-like-a-dinosaur pokemon. That's Larvitar -> Pupitar -> Tyrannitar, an extremely strong pokemon offensively, though its Rock/Dark type makes it susceptible to easy attacks from Ice and Water, but it got a lot of competitive play for Black and White.

So what you're saying, Rob, is that X would be the better game if it only had Heracross instead of Pinsar?

• BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    Yeah....I think there's probably good reason why there's a ton of folks with X instead of Y. it's not so much that Y's exclusives are entirely crap, it's just that X's are FAR better, IMO.

I dunno about you, but BLACK AND BLUE FLAMING Charizard and The-Less-Shit-of-the-Two-Mewtwo-Evolutions kinda sold me.

Also, am I the only one that kinda gets a little bugged when Pokemon designs make them look like they're wearing clothes, but the "clothes" are actually meant to be part of their bodies? Dunno, always just kinda weirded me out a bit.
  • Almost all the kids lined up at the place I went to bought Y. Best part was the group of 3 siblings who all got Y version, despite their dad, and the sales clerk, trying their best to convince one of them to get X. I think it's because kids think Xerneas doesn't look as cool as Yvetal
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    Tyrannitar is a boss, Cloyster is so much more awesome than Starmie. Love electronic dog but I want a Mightyena more than cat fuck. Mega Charizard Y may not look as 'cool' as mega x but in my experience flying fire is a better combo.

Some crazy looking red bug thing, fuckin HERACROSS some red guy that reminds me of Kung fu Panda, Pure psychic has huge spec att damage potential.

And yeah, Y legendary is pretty cool.
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    How me and my bro decided which version to get:
    Me: What version do you want?
    Bro: Well, I like blue so X.
    Me: Alright then Y for me.

Together we have all the Pokes!

Personally neither were green (well except for ) and I wanted to go in blind so I picked whatever was left over.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    I drove to Target, bought X and Y, asked my wife which she wanted, and took the other. That's what trading is for.
  • Anybody have access to Couture Boutique yet?
    Wasn't saying anyone was wrong for picking Y or anything. I was saying that, in my experience, most of the folks I've talked to chose X over Y, and I was saying I could possibly see why that was.

YMMV, and all that. It's Pokemon, and this generation thus far is easily my favorite thus far. They've SERIOUSLY done an amazing job on these two games.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    omg wat.

I know zero about Pokémon. Would I be able to even play this?
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    @Primesuspect I haven't played Pokemon since Gen 2 I think you'll be fine, also it's fun as all hell!

EDIT: *Ahem*

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    The beauty of Pokemon is that they've mastered the art of creating a game that's only as complicated as you want it to be.

Its basic game components are made for children to understand, and there are many onion layers of added difficulty out from there.
    I-need-a-better-name
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    BHHammy said:

Yeah....I think there's probably good reason why there's a ton of folks with X instead of Y. it's not so much that Y's exclusives are entirely crap, it's just that X's are FAR better, IMO.

I dunno about you, but BLACK AND BLUE FLAMING Charizard and The-Less-Shit-of-the-Two-Mewtwo-Evolutions kinda sold me.

Also, am I the only one that kinda gets a little bugged when Pokemon designs make them look like they're wearing clothes, but the "clothes" are actually meant to be part of their bodies? Dunno, always just kinda weirded me out a bit.

I was just thinking about this last night with the two judo Pokemon. Are they wearing human clothes, which is weird; or are their bodies designed to look like clothes, which is creepy.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    I need to go shopping it seems.
    TushonChoochRahnalH102
  • omg wat.

Would you be able to? I don't see why not.

Should you? Nope. It's like the crack of the video game world. Just gotta catch another one. Just one more. I need my Pokefix.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    ardichoke said:

omg wat.

Would you be able to? I don't see why not.

Should you? Nope. It's like the crack of the video game world. Just gotta catch another one. Just one more. I need my Pokefix.
    I bought the majority of the last few games just because it was Pokemon, then played maybe 10 hours and stopped. Gotta get the Pokefix.

omg wat.

Absolutely! Like Thrax said, it's designed for children to play, but you can make it as complex as you'd like. The interactions with NPCs are pretty hokey, but it's hard to put the game down once you start playing. The team combinations, training options, and the gotta-get-just-one-more aspect can really suck you in. Plus you have online battles and trades now, which I have yet to try. I remember hooking up the gamelink cable with my school buddies with red/blue. Now I just connect to my 90mbps internet connection. :-p

edited October 2013
    Oh, @Thrax, is there anything you'd like in trade for the Amaura? Doubt I have anything you're interested in, but who knows. I'm just past the third gym to sort of show the Pokemon I might have.
    No trades needed for me, and I'm available tonight! Will be on later in the evening.
    This is really useful for folks. It's the best type chart out there:

Thrax said:

No trades needed for me, and I'm available tonight! Will be on later in the evening.

Okay, shoot me a PM or IM over one of the many messaging services, and I'll fire up the 3DS. :)
    edited October 2013
    So get this. I pre-ordered the game, and was offered to also pre-order the strategy guide at a discount. When I first pre-ordered, I didn't have the cash for it, so I said no, but then I stopped in a second time a week or two later because I needed to purchase 3DS cards to give the codes to a couple of friends who were down on their luck and wanted to get the game (one big reasons I'm actually rather pleased with the e-shop offering full digital titles for purchase- it made their month). I was offered it again and I decided "why not".

When I went to go pick it up that morning (for some reason there actually weren't enough pre-orders in my town to warrant a midnight release, which boggles my damn mind), however, they said that someone screwed up in distribution and none of the stores around the area had actually gotten any of the guides. So I had to wait for the damn thing, hence why I've had to guess with everyone else at Pokemon Amie and other aspects of the game.

I finally went in and picked the damn thing up yesterday before Shannon and I headed out to Bowling Green, and look at this damn thing.

Check the spoiler for photos (spoilered again to prevent page-stretching).

This damn thing...

...is hardback.

I can't remember the last we actually HAD a hardback edition official pokemon guide. It looks damn sweet too, and this damn thing is PACKED with all sorts of info you could ever want.

The inside of the front cover is actually a map of the Kalos region, too. It also came with a wiping cloth for your screen (not pictured), and a foldout that has both a map of Kalos (WITH details of the different services there) on the front, and a type-matchup chart on the back (with special notes the detail the different ability resistances that each type has, like electric pokemon being immune to Paralysis).

Got it for about 17 bucks with a pre-order, and I think you can still buy them now for 20. If you're into collecting this type of stuff, I'd probably get 'em fast.

EDIT: I also got a poster with my pre-order, but I haven't opened it yet.

@primesuspect - This is quite possibly one of the most player-empowering-and-friendly entries in the series yet. I think it's a -fantastic- time to pick the game up. Like it's been said before- it only has to be as complex as you make it. The game itself is very well-designed.

EDIT: Looking through the Pokemon Amie section, and I don't think they entirely understood how it worked. They've got basic stuff down, but they've got the stats wrong. Like their understanding of the Enjoyment stat is entirely wrong- petting NEVER raises enjoyment, because it -consumes- enjoyment to give you hearts. that's how the mechanic works. in fact, that's pretty much the enjoyment stat's ENTIRE purpose. the ONLY stat that matters in the long-term is Affection- that's the REAL level. Fullness and Enjoyment only exist as mechanics, and have absolutely no impact outside of their direct applications (whether or not you can feed your pokemon puffs, or pet it to receive more hearts).

I looked through that Ultimate Amie guide linked above, and they've got it wrong as well. However, they seem to be getting their info from external sources (Pokepuff Flavors do NOT have ANY effect whatsoever on hearts, only the pokepuff quality, and there are stark visual cues).

ALSO- beware! Don't think that you can just stockpile a ton of high-quality pokepuffs and sit on them. Found that out the hard way- I hadn't touched the game in a couple of days, and I hopped on to find that almost all of my pokepuffs were -gone-. I had a BUNCH of tier 3 and 4s when I'd stopped.
    RahnalH102oni_dels
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    4441-9575-3857
    Thrax
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    KoreishBasil
    Pokemon Champion with Greninja, Aegislash, Aurorus, Beedrill, Pidgeot and Charizard.

I had terrible type coverage because of all the move slots wasted on the HMs. Bah.
    IlriyasBHHammyRahnalH102Chooch
    edited October 2013
    So I'm sure a few of you have probably experienced this for yourselves, but in case you haven't I thought I'd talk about it a sec.

I haven't been able to get back to my berries for a while at the Berry Farm ever since I first planted them, since I figured my path would loop back around and I'd run into them again. After a good long while of...well, not doing that, I decided "screw it, I don't wanna lose all of those berries I planted!" and ran back to grab them.

So imagine my surprise when I found out that apparently planting different varieties of berry bushes together actually nets you Berry Mutations. By apparently having the different trees grow together at the same time, it'll cause new varieties of berry to grow besides the ones you planted. For example, my Oran Berry bush and a Pecha Berry bush made a couple of Qualot Berries.

They've also massively upgraded the amount of berries you get from the bushes now. I was getting anywhere from 5 to 9 berries a bush, and you can now estimate how many berries you'll get from a harvest from how many berries you see on the tree.

So yeah, time to grow a bunch of status-healing berries, for me. See what other mutations I can come up with. I might try to keep a list of what combinations seem to do what, and I ALSO need to know if maybe you can actually combine -three- bushes together to produce a particular kind of berry.

@thrax - The funny thing is, that step he's doing is actually supposed to be an emulation of Capoeira.