The "what phone is coming next?" thread

Comments

• HydrarHydrar Columbia, MD Icrontian
    No Nexus 5 love on Icrontic? Latest rumors put release around Nov 1st.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    Most people just got the N4, and the screen in the N5 is too small to be a contender for my next upgrade. Was going for a phablet in the range of 5.3-5.5".
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Note 3?
    More like Z Ultra. Hnnnngghh.

But really, I'm not interested in upgrading at the moment.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    what is the general opinion on the n5? Laura will be getting a new phone pretty soon, I think.
    It'll be a nice piece of kit at a great price. Can't really go wrong.
    shwaip
  • I'm thinking about replacing my N4 with an N5, but probably not until after the Holidays. I like my 4, but I'm not a huge fan of the glass back. Still waiting to see some hands-on reviews of the 5 before I make a for sure decision though.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    I'm committed to Verizon (family plan) so I'm looking at either the HTC One or the Samsung Galaxy S4. The Note 3 is also a contender, but I'm not sure I want a phone that big. I liked the look and feel of the Moto X, but it's too expensive for the hardware inside of it.

Question though. I need to buy a full-price no-contract phone. Samsung Galaxy S4's are going for about $450 new on eBay (vs ~$600 retail). Any thoughts on this? For example, I'm aware of how one can receive a Verizon phone with a bad ESN number (not worried about that as one can return on eBay for a refund), or get one that's good now but is later reported by its original owner as lost/stolen or they didn't pay their Verizon bill if they got it subsidized and have the ESN go bad (you can keep it activated, but you can't activate it again if you deactivate it). Is that a big risk? Are there other surprise eBay risks?

TL;DR - anyone have experience buying flagship Verizon phones on eBay?
    You're probably better off using Swappa than eBay. Most of them will be used, but generally lightly.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    Since Becoming A Mom™ I drop my phone all the goddamn time. I'll probably be picking up an N5 as soon as it drops since I'll have likely destroyed my N4 by then.
    JBoogalooWagsFTW
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Annes said:

as soon as it drops

BobbyDigiAnnes
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited October 2013
    Annes said:

Since Becoming A Mom™ I drop my phone all the goddamn time. I'll probably be picking up an N5 as soon as it drops since I'll have likely destroyed my N4 by then.

You may want to consider the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active while you're at it. It's a more robust version of the S4. It's waterproof (well, highly water resistant), beefier case, and withstands more abuse compared to the normal S4.

The downsides? It has a LCD vs the S4's OLED display (more of a personal preference), and the camera has less megapixels ("only" 8MP). Worth a look if the waterproofing is attractive to protect against babyspills.

The Sony Xperia Z1 is also waterproof (highly resistant anyways) so check it as well.

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    N5 is definitely my next phone, I'll get it to replace my dying GNEX. Wish we could get some concrete details on the launch day. I want them to tak all of my money.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    UPSLynx said:

N5 is definitely my next phone, I'll get it to replace my dying GNEX. Wish we could get some concrete details on the launch day. I want them to tak all of my money.

This. This exactly.

Sounds like the N5 is going to be announced/available today at 12pm pacific (2 hours).

Excited to get 4.4 on my N4, at least :)
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Already done ordered the 32GB black.
    edited October 2013
    To anyone that was wondering:

Nexus 5 is a fabulously-equipped device. IF you're on the fence, get off of it and buy.

//EDIT: Unless you're on Verizon, you're never getting a Nexus again.
    JBoogalooAlexDeGruvenardichoke
  • HydrarHydrar Columbia, MD Icrontian
    We got some 32s.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    eeeeffffffffffffff

16GB is sold out. 32s ship on the 8th :/

Prolly going with a 32 anyways, I just don't want to wait that long.

Also, I'm actually thinking of going white with this one. wtf is wrong with me.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    UPSLynx said:

Also, I'm actually thinking of going white with this one. wtf is wrong with me.

The transformation has begun.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    Anyone have a Samsung Galaxy S4? I have Verizon, and might finally bite the bullet and upgrade from my Droid Incredible. ;) And from the available options, it's between the iphone 5S or Galaxy S4 (leaning towards sticking with Android).
  • maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian
    @wagsFTW @Ryanfodder and I both have the Galaxy S4, and we've been pretty happy with them. The only downside for me is that the phone is too big to carry comfortably anywhere but a back jeans pocket, so I feel like I've dropped it more than I ever dropped my old phone. It's stood up admirably though; no chipping/cracking. Battery life is great; ours last 2 days without charging and with regular use, and performance wise it's really responsive.
    JBoogalooRyanFodder
    S4 is very nice. Fast and reliable.
    JBoogaloo
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    malia said:

@wagsFTW @Ryanfodder and I both have the Galaxy S4, and we've been pretty happy with them.

I'll toss myself in there and completely agree with the comment, very happy with it.
    I have an S4 from work. It's identical dimensions to my personal S3, but has a 5" higher-res (full 1080p) screen and better battery life. On Verizon, the S4 should be a pretty killer phone.
  • Figures they announce the N5 during my damn wedding. I'm so buying one... but not one from the first run. I'll be waiting until after the holidays most likely... give them time to work any of the usual manufacturing kinks out (also, give Team Cyanogen time to get a stable ROM out for it).
    Thanks for the feedback. I came across this while broadening my options: http://reviews.cnet.com/best-verizon-wireless-phones/

Anyone have any thoughts on the HTC One or the Nokia Lumina (anyone have a Windows phone)?
    HTC One is comparable to the S4. Buy whatever user interface you prefer.

Avoid Nokia. Windows Mobile is a very distant fourth place in the mobile market, and you'll suffer when it's time to get updates or great apps.
    Ryder
    I'll have to go play with the HTC One and compare. It's $50 cheaper than the S4, and I like the looks of it with the aluminum body and it also looks very durable. My HTC Incredible has lasted me 4 years, and overall I've been pretty happy with it. Thanks again for the input.