Power Supply has a sad

AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut?Meechigan Icrontian
I believe my PSU has died this weekend, just posting here to confirm suspicions:

Yesterday morning, I tried checking in remotely from the in-laws, and couldn't connect through any means. LogMeIn showed as powered-off.

Got home, powered up, logs showed nothing before the "Last system restart was unscheduled". Tried firing up some applications and *poof*. No sound, no indication of anything, just instant and silent power off.

Powered on again, was able to log in and Steam started upd-- *poof*, same thing.

Powered on again, was able to log in an-- *poof*, same thing.

At this point, I stopped powering it back on because reasons. I checked the back, and the NIC isn't showing any lights, and I can't see any of the "Hey, I'm off, but I have power!" indicators inside.

This leads me to believe it's either the PSU or the Motherboard. I'm more inclined to the PSU, as it's much older (a 2007/08 era Antec TruPower Trio 650W).

Any thoughts on me being off-base?

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    Nope. Sounds like the right diagnosis. That's pretty much a signature sign of PSU failure.
    midga
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I wouldn't hesitate to junk the PSU.
    midga
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Good to know my diagnostic skills are still on the up and up.

Now comes the fun question:

Modular PSUs >=650W for ~$100, GO!
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    edited September 2013
    Just to be sure. Will that be ok for the potential addition of another 6870 if I choose to put that on my bday list for this year?

Currently running 1 6870 and an FX-6100.
  • Just to be sure. Will that be ok for the potential addition of another 6870 if I choose to put that on my bday list for this year?

Need to know more than the CPU & GPU in the system. What motherboard, how many and what type of drives, how many USB dongles, how old is the mobo, etc. Depending on what I plug into various PSU calculators, I get recommended ranges from 550W to 800W
    990FX MoBo with 1 HDD and one Optical. Thermaltake water cooler and only a couple of USBs, nothing 3.0 plugged in.

650W has been plenty sufficient so far, and looking at calculators, my current max draw is around 400W. So answered my own question, really :)
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian

Just to be sure. Will that be ok for the potential addition of another 6870 if I choose to put that on my bday list for this year?

save your pennies and get a newer generation single GPU

I don't even see 6870 on sale at newegg anymore
    That's also on the table. Depends on the number of pennies. If I can pick up another 6870 on the cheap, then it's a decent boost for not much. That can be a big if, though.

That being said. I'm nowhere near over-taxing the current GPU, anyway.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited September 2013
    Alex sorry I didn't have time to read the entire thread.

Try here if you are still in the PSU market.
    I haven't bought yet. No time to fiddle ATM. I will definitely look here, though.
    New PSU installed. Rockin along with so few cables (I love modular), but I'm still getting shutdowns. Complete "Hey, someone pulled out the power plug" type shutdowns, no errors logged, nothing.

I'm highly doubtful that the new one is the problem, as runtimes are much longer than with the old PSU (between 4 and 12 hours, not dependent upon load).

I'm now suspicious of the MoBo (well, a component on it related to power, but yeah).

It's a Gigabyte 990-XA.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Sounds like mobo, yes. Any other component wouldn't trip hard shutdown.
    That's what I was thinking. CPU, RAM, Video would all cause massive freak-outs and logs before taking the system down.
  • I'm going to say that your computer has become sentient and is telling you to spend less time with it and more time with your wife and kids. That or it's just trolling you.
    Trolling is most likely. It's been off more than a month.
    Update.

It's not the PSU (replaced), and it's not the motherboard (also replaced).

It shut down on me again after getting everything put back together, and started shutting down quicker with each iteration.

This time, I looked at the PC Health Status section in the bios and saw the CPU temp climbing up past 80C, and it hit me.

Pretty sure the water cooler is dying, which explains all of the symptoms I've been seeing.

Going to throw the stock cooler back on tomorrow and see how things go.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    LOTS of dust between the fins on the radiator can do that kind of thing.
    It runs nice and cool while it's running OK. There's a point where it just quits moving the coolant and that's when it croaks.

I also checked the fins and everything is clean.