13»

Comments

• csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2013
    Welp, how 'bout them benches.
    Which SSD did you get?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Samsung 840 pro. Sorry Ryder.
  • When does said embargo end? I'm looking on getting one of these two cards for a gaming/htpc rig I'm trying to build.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited November 2013
    Considering the reviews started coming out today I'm going to guess...
    today
    GHoosdum
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    290 and 290X are both in retail now.
    csimon said:

Welp, how 'bout them benches.
    Which SSD did you get?

I tried to provide some yesterday and tonight, but something is amiss and causing shit results. I'm going to have to do more troubleshooting. Maybe clean install drivers, etc.
    try to run your bench in diagnostic mode maybe.
  • So I'm assuming the 290X is the way to go?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Based on the reviews, you can get very close performance (if not equivalent) for $100 less with the non-X version.

Overclocking might be another story, but I don't have either card so I can't say for certain.
    TheRicanJBoogaloo
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2013
    mertesn said:

Based on the reviews, you can get very close performance (if not equivalent) for $100 less with the non-X version.

Overclocking might be another story, but I don't have either card so I can't say for certain.

Yes, I'm really interested to see what the after market coolers can do with clock speeds and noise. Currently the 290 is limited to 47% fan speed (changed from originally 40%)

2560x1440
    edited November 2013
    Tushon said:

I tried to provide some yesterday and tonight, but something is amiss and causing shit results. I'm going to have to do more troubleshooting. Maybe clean install drivers, etc.

Interesting Xbit article on the subject. Seems they are on track to making it right.

Ah very nice!
    edited November 2013
    @Thrax: is there a guide/reference of "best performance" settings, bar other things like noise (my room is already loud so that's not an issue)? Also, marginally confused why there are like 6 profiles listed when I right-click on the CCC taskbar thing (since I didn't setup any), but not sure if that is just expected behavior.

EDIT: unless PowerTune just does it for you.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    PowerTune is taking care of anything for you. Nothing special required from your end.
    JBoogaloomidgaTushon
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    Some 290s can flash up to a 290x, full unlock.
  • How's the cooling going with these cards? I've been checking out Tom's and it seems that modding to an aftermarket cooler is going to be the way to go; at least until some are released (if I didn't want to wait that long)
    edited December 2013
    It looks like even changing TIM is showing significant improvement as well. All of the above will void your warranty though.