No signal to monitor

Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
I've had this problem twice before with my PC where the monitor gets no signal when I power on. It has always followed a hard reset. In the past a CMOS reset has done the trick but not this time. I am wondering if anyone has any advice apart from the following (which i have already tried). I've tried holding the power button down for a minute with power off, I've tried removing and replacing the CMOS battery, tried shorting the CMOS jumper, tried swapping out the graphics card and tried reseating the RAM. None have worked so far but I am open to suggestion. I'm absolutely desperate to fix this as it is my main PC. Thanks for any help!!

Comments

• Do you get any beep codes from the motherboard?
    also
    Do your fans spin up after you turn it on?
  • Byron172Byron172 Adelaide, South Australia Member
    Fans spin up but no beep codes.
  • I assume your graphics cards you have tried are all pci-e? If so, does your motherboard have onboard video you can try?

Does the motherboard have a PC speaker hooked up? If so and you still don't have beep codes, that isn't a great thing.

Another thing to try would be another power supply if you have one handy.
    JBoogaloo
    Yeah the graphics cards are all pci-e and unfortunately no on board video. I unplugged all peripherals so there are no speakers plugged in at the moment. I'll try another power supply - but it's almost as if the mobo goes into some sort of hibernation when I do a hard reset. Are there any other ways of resetting the BIOS?
  • The best way to reset the BIOS is to do it via jumper, which you already did. If you have a PC speaker hooked up to the mobo, you don't get beep codes, and a new PSU does not help you along -- it could be that the mobo is in fact fried.

Generally the motherboard can at least give you a beep code if there is one faulty component -- display / cpu / memory. But seeing as you have power and seemingly nothing else, it just doesn't look good. It may still be the power supply though and I think it wouldn't hurt to get the opinion of a few others around here who like to help.

@Tushon comes to mind.
    JBoogaloo
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2013
    My similar situation in the past was as @PirateNinja said. I had a no-video, no beep motherboard, bought CMOS battery replacement and an additional mobo speaker to test it with no response (to clarify, I don't think external speakers put out the BIOS beeps. I had to purchase a small mobo speaker to test this). I ended up RMA'ing the board and it was faulty. If you can test with another power supply, do so, but I'd put this in likely bad mobo territory.

Similar as in almost identical in fact. The mobo I had was a no video, no built-in speaker that had fans spin up but no beep codes even with the speaker. That meant it wasn't even getting into "real" BIOS startup.
    JBoogaloo
    yep - that all sounds ominous but highly likely. As I say - it has happened before but this time just doesn't want to come back to life. Spose it's off to the shops for a new mobo :(
    in this situation there is no way to flash my bios is there?
  • PinkPink Colour Sweden Icrontian
    Yea I got nothing...
    midgaByron172oni_dels
    I really doubt it. Some motherboards have an emergency flash procedure involving esoteric jumper arrangements, floppy drives and pixie dust, but it didn't help me
    I gotta tell you all this. I got the new mobo today and went about setting it all up as per usual and when I went to boot it did the same thing. So I figured ok - maybe the processor. Before shooting out to get a new processor, I went back to the mobo manual and noticed it mentions that both ATX power molex "must be plugged". So I'm thinking - well I haven't ever had the 2nd (4 pin) molex on this power supply so I'll need to go get a PSU that matches the board......but first I'll just check there isn't one on my existing supply. Sure enough there is one (all bundled up with the other unused cables)- and sure enough I have NEVER had it plugged into my mobo - BUT sure enough it was all I needed to do to get the thing up and running again!!! How the hell is this possible!! As stupid as I feel that this is what has happened - I am happy for my idiocy to be on display for all and sundry if it helps another person out of this annoying situation in the future. Cheers for all who helped out.
    RyanFodder
    So your old mobo is now working or the new one is working now that you added the additional cable?
    The new mobo is working - but only since plugging in that cable. I spose it is just an assumption that the other would have worked with the same cable plugged in - but I'm pretty sure that was the problem. If I get the time and inclination I'll test the theory.
    Well, if it was working at one point without the cable, then that shouldn't be it. The new motherboard presumably needed additional power, hence the added connector. Your old mobo should not have booted without it if that was the case, so I wouldn't worry about testing it, especially if you only have one power supply.
    The other board also has a socket for the additional power plug but I hadn't noticed it until now. Since I rarely shut down my PC and the problem has something to do with powering on/off I just figured it was probably this. On a side note - I'm actually amazed that my dual boot set up works perfectly fine with the changeover from one board to another, didn't have to reinstall any software!! Whacked the HDD in and it boots up both W7 and XP. Hardware has all installed no problem.
    that's a little surprising I suppose, but not that crazy, since you stayed with the same socket, Intel/Atheros have the market on lockdown for NICs, and your video card and other peripherals were staying the same. W7 probably auto-installed some stuff for you, but I'm a bit surprised that XP worked alright. Glad to hear you're up and running though!
    Byron172
    yeah - I always figured the hal.dll file didn't like to cooperate with new boards - reckon I got lucky on both counts. Mind you the graphics card was a bitch to get back up and running again, apparently it's a pretty common problem with my card and W7....but I finally got the fix and now it's (hopefully) smooth sailing. And as long as clone my HDD soon - I have a mobo sittin in the cupboard just waiting for it.