Samsung SyncMaster 206BW Review

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited August 2007 in Science & Tech
Lemonlime gives us the lowdown on the Samsung Syncmaster 206BW:
The specifications above look pretty impressive for a monitor in this price range. The one figure that undoubtedly sparks interest in this monitor is the 2ms GTG response time. This figure is down from 5ms on its predecessor, the 205BW. Interestingly, Samsung has decided to post two different contrast ratio figures: a static and dynamic figure. The number most people will be familiar with is the ‘static’ ratio of 800:1 (1000:1 according to Samsung USA).

Comments

• edited August 2007
    dear sir

i have like this lcd but without S type it's W and i don't know what (W) Your test nice.
    I work in grphics and i feel i want to broken this bad lcd the color not come ok from up to down and why samsung do this in poepol makinig 2 lcd S and W or A why they confuse us and the proplem the shop i take from them thay don't know anything about this ..
    so what i do
    thanks
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2007
    Hi latif, welcome to Icrontic!

I've heard reports of several different 206/226BW revisions. I believe all of the original monitors were 'S' revisions, and then followed the 'A', and then others afterwards. Unfortunately, I can not comment on the performance of the others because I have never used them. The color reproduction on the 'S' panel I sampled was quite good for a TN--so were the viewing angles. As you mentioned, it is unfortunate that manufacturers change components after the initial release of a product. This is common with memory (RAM) manufacturers as well. They sometimes change the ICs in the DIMMs based on pricing and supply/availability. I think the same holds true for LCD panels.

Although the 206BW 'S' is a great monitor for every day use, I don't think you'd be too happy with it as a graphics professional. You should take a look at the SyncMaster 215TW if color accuracy is important to you. Believe it or not, the Dell E228WFP also has good color reproduction and is a less expensive TN based panel--although viewing angles are not the greatest.
  • Hello,
    My friend has this very same monitor. But it started flashing like it's lossinf contact or something. Is this fixable or?
  • I blog often and I seriously thank you for your information.

The article has really peaked my interest. I will bookmark
    your blog and keep checking for new information about once per week.
    I subscribed to your Feed as well.
  • Samsung 40" TV Dynamic Contrast should be set to OFF. Leaving it ON causes white-level clipping distortions at all Contrast level settings.
  • Report: watch Can Have A Leading role In Any Organization