The NFC Tag Idea Thread

KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired)By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
Many of us own smartphones that are NFC capable. Let's show off our NFC tag ideas.

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    As alluded to in the Sekrit Santa thread...

Trigger allows you to set up a two-pass scan on tags, so scan 1 does something different than scan 2 does. I used this for an identification and execution set of tasks.

Pass 1 is labeled something specific (in my case, tea information: name, amount, suggested steep time, etc.). A Tasker task is set up to check for Notification events from the Trigger app; if it sees it, it sets a variable of mine to the notification title, and pieces out some of the information (like the minimum suggested steeping time). It sets some of these variables (globally) for later use.

Pass 2 is labeled "Start tea timer," and executes a second countdown task. The user is prompted for a time (in minutes) to start the timer for, and that time is pre-populated with the minimum time from the tea info swipe in the first pass. Once confirmed, the task loops until the allotted time has passed, popping up a silent notification every minute to let you know the timer's still running, and alerting you audibly when the countdown finishes.

You'll notice that the lion's share of this is actually Tasker, not NFC in particular... but that's the kind of flexibility that NFC+Tasker offers. I spent hours trying to figure out if I could make Trigger use the actual Clock timer and pass it information about what value to use, but it's just not possible, it seems. Instead, I wrote my own timer (and learned a lot of useful stuff about Tasker in the process). This allows me to have two generic tasks (info + timer) that get invoked the same way from one of any number of tags.
    JBoogalooTushonmidga
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    I have a very simple tag set up in my car. When I tap the tag, it turns on Bluetooth, turns off Wi-Fi, and starts my music app. When I tap again, it reverses the process.

I plan to add one in my house for wifi auto-connect, and the keychain for my electronic business card. Will provide recipes when I get them running.