Ducky DK9008G2 Pro review. Is this mechanical keyboard Nirvana?

Comments

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian
    so, only WASD is backlit? can you change the color of the light or?
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited August 2013
    That's correct - only the WASD cluster. The actual keys are MUCH sharper than the image shows, and it's pretty darn bright too. You can't change the color of the backlighting; getting an RGB LED into a Cherry MX switch assembly is anything but cheap.
    If you're looking for a full backlit keyboard with different colors though, the Ducky Shine III is due any day now. It's basically the same keyboard with different keycaps (ABS - it's not possible to do backlighting with PBT) and full backlighting in a huge variety of colors and switches.

Not gonna lie, if I was gonna go backlit, I'd go Shine III in Green/Green.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    I keep meaning to get a Unicomp. It's only $70 and actually has my favorite switch technology. But then, I'm typing this message on a Model-M13 and it's like "eh, I already own the best keyboard ever made."
  • MechanicalKeyboards.com is NOT a part of TigerDirect. (I am a TigerDirect employee).
    primesuspectBobbyDigi
  • As a Newcomer, I'm always searching on the internet for articles that can assist myself. Cheers!
    drasnor said:

I keep meaning to get a Unicomp. It's only $70 and actually has my favorite switch technology. But then, I'm typing this message on a Model-M13 and it's like "eh, I already own the best keyboard ever made."

Well, couldn't have for months anyways - they depleted their stock in preparation for the new 103 models they released last week, along with a significant price drop. (Ultra Classic was $99, now $79. OTB/Trackball was $149 now $105.) Honestly though, I own an OTB ('04) and an M5-2 ('92 IIRC?) and the Unicomp is much lower quality in every regard. The trackball optical sensors are much lower resolution and the build quality is much lower.
    Same holds true for the EnduraPro (formerly OTS) - which is NOTHING like the M13. It's based on a hacked up - as in hacksaw modified - M2 chassis. The button action compared to the real deal is horrible due to bad hinging design and low quality feedback buttons, and it's based on the TrackPoint original and not the TrackPoint II. Granted, my M13's are all pristine examples in mint or perfectly restored condition (and one of them was converted to TrackPoint II), but still.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    MechanicalKeyboards.com is NOT a part of TigerDirect. (I am a TigerDirect employee).
    Thanks for the feedback, Lonny. I'll make the edit :)

MechanicalKeyboards.com is NOT a part of TigerDirect. (I am a TigerDirect employee).
    Thanks for the feedback, Lonny. I'll make the edit :)

Oh, whoops, I didn't see that myself! MechanicalKeyboards is part of the Tiger Imports family. Easy mistake to make! (So if you place your order, don't freak out when the FedEx shipping notification says TIGERIMPORTS.NET.)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I picked myself up a Ducky Channel Zero ZK2108S tonight.

I love it.
    Chooch
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Um, Brian, they make a DK2108 series, did you mean DK?

I ordered a clicky DK2108 (Blue Cherry MX switches). Need one for the new system build I have been talking about some.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I'd really like to get a chance to try my fingers on all the different Cherry MX switches. I've held off bothering until now because I have no real sense of what the difference is.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited November 2013
    I have mechanical keyboards with blue, black, and brown switches. So far brown seems best suited for gaming. I still want to try red and clear.

Edit:
    (stats are taken from Overclock.net's awesome forum post on the subject)
    The black switches provide smooth travel for the entire press which is nice, but the 60-80g force for activation is quite heavy and (for me) doesn't feel all that great for gaming - too much resistance for fast keystrokes. Regular typing feels fine though.

Blue switches are somewhat lighter at 50-60g and it does make a difference. They're comfortable for just about any environment except where quiet is required. I find the hard tactile feedback to be a bit of a distraction while gaming, but this may be due to lack of sufficient hours to become accustomed to the feel.

Brown switches are the lightest of the three at 45-55g. I can't tell much of a difference in the force required between these and the blues. The tactile response is subtle and quiet - I'd say the best of both worlds. I've logged several hours with my ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro now and it's taken over as my absolute favorite keyboard.
    midga
    My sister is in the market but it's nearly impossible to get a compact mechanical keyboard; they're all out-of-stock! What gives?
  • If you want to see a good MX Black board in action, I have a Tt Meka G1 I may fix up. Garbage keycaps ruined it more than anything else. Would prefer to convert to MX greens or blues but don't have the money. Otherwise okay build quality (serious debounce problems resulting in double keystrokes at >140wpm), but the best layout ever created. If I could get the Meka G1 layout on a DK9008G2, that would basically be perfection.

As to keyboards being out of stock - no, they're most definitely not. Just gotta know where to look. Can't recommend MK enough.
    Sorry, I should've been more specific. My sister is an MX Blue lady and the available options are lacking.
    edited December 2013
    drasnor said:

Sorry, I should've been more specific. My sister is an MX Blue lady and the available options are lacking.

How about Blues in Yellow?

The DK2087 Zero is available in Blues, as is the Keycool 87 though if you're looking for something a little less flashy and obsessive-collector oriented. The 2087 is the TKL version of what prime has, and Keycool's entire line has consistently gotten high marks from everyone.
    She might also be interested in the Matias (Alps-clone) keyboards. The whites are clicky a la Blues, with a slightly different feel and a quieter noise level overall.
    I saw the DK2087 Zero but the click-through link is for the reds; I wasn't able to find it in blue. She was not a fan of the yellow (either the unmarked yellow or backlit yellow).
  • I kind of want to get a Shine 3 DK9008, but I want brown switches. The Ducky Channel site says they make them with browns but I can't find them anywhere I've looked.
    edited December 2013
    drasnor said:

I saw the DK2087 Zero but the click-through link is for the reds; I wasn't able to find it in blue. She was not a fan of the yellow (either the unmarked yellow or backlit yellow).

Indeed it is, which is quite odd. Since, as you can see here, it's listed as MX Blue. May be a listing error.

The Keycool 87 might fit the bill though. It's (obviously) less bare-bones than the Zero and pretty highly praised. (Personally, I'm not a huge fan because it's wire stabilized. The Keycool 108's use Cherry stabilizers.) Also available in white if you don't mind a wait.
    ardichoke said:

I kind of want to get a Shine 3 DK9008, but I want brown switches. The Ducky Channel site says they make them with browns but I can't find them anywhere I've looked.

Oh, you mean these?
    Pick a color, any color.
    Annes