Macbook issue

djmonstadjmonsta London, UK Member
edited January 2014 in Hardware
Hi Guys, I know its 'PC' hardware category but I'm hoping someone may be able to help anyway.

I have an issue with a Macbook Pro which has recently been updated the Maverick (10.9). It seems to have lost a system font (see attached image) but when loading into safe boot mode it loads fine?

A bit stumped!

Comments

• You could try using this tool to clear your font cache:
    https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx
  • djmonstadjmonsta London, UK Member
    Hi Ninja,

Thank you for your suggestion, however I have already installed and run OnyX to no avail. I have also done a NVRAM reset and validated and removed erroring fonts in Font Book.
  • RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian
    edited February 2014
    Does it only show those A's on the launch screen, or on everything that displays text?
    Have you tried playing around with the language settings?
    I'd suggest rolling back the update, going back to 10.8 or whatever you were at prior, redownloading Maverick and checking the md5 before updating again.
    Hi Requit,

Yes those symbols do appear every so often, for example when something requires admin credentials.

I have made sure that the language settings are correct.

I do want to roll back to 10.8 but as far as I'm aware the only ways to do this are a) restore from a Time Machine backup (which I don't have) or b) reinstall the original OS (which isn't practical).
  • I'd open up FontBook and look through / resolve corrupted duplicates.
    I did try removing duplicate / erroring fonts through Font Book. Ah well, I have advised a fresh install of OS X 10.8 as it only happened since doing the Maverick update.
  • PinkPink Colour Sweden Icrontian
    Thats just an extra feature, its suppose to look like that!