My new least favorite game: Minecraft

13»

Comments

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    PirateNinja, you are my hero.

I believe the "area under the curve" is life. Fun * time = life?
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    What it boils down to is it's not a complete game. It's a complete and mostly tested build of a program, but it's not a complete game.

Most of the user base was involved in the beta testing and understands the interface, so they have been pushing for new features and not a good learning curve. Hell, there's really almost nowhere to learn about this game that doesn't also involve you with people who already play it (and will teach you how to use it), so it's almost unnecessary. Almost.

@Lincoln, yes it's poor design, but it's poor design because it's incomplete and because the design path it's taken has been directed by the beta tester community and not a drive to make an accessible game that people will learn about through the normal channels and pick up on their own.

Now, in the defense of the game, though, I will say this.

I do hope you'll join us on the server, despite your sour first experience. I know how frustrating it is to jump into a game and feel entirely lost and helpless, and it can ruin the game for you entirely to the point that you don't even want to hear about it again, but we're more useful than any instruction booklet, at least twice at hot, and would love to have you there. Any question will be answered, any frustration will be shared, and any triumph will be all the better for sharing it with the community :)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    "Complete" is a tricky term in this case. Everyone recognizes that Minecraft is not "done" (including but far exceeding the ways in which TF2 is not done), but usually, when a game is out of beta, it's considered complete. Hitting v1.0 usually implies a game is ready for newbies, but Minecraft still has the beta mentality.

Also:
  • maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian
    The wiki is pretty much the key to all the things.

He told me this too...and I am now on the "hate minecraft" side. even the wiki is somewhat confusing.

"Complete" is a tricky term in this case. Everyone recognizes that Minecraft is not "done" (including but far exceeding the ways in which TF2 is not done), but usually, when a game is out of beta, it's considered complete. Hitting v1.0 usually implies a game is ready for newbies, but Minecraft still has the beta mentality.
    That's implied in a game that's marketed and distributed through the normal channels, but in this case the game was not.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Hmmm..... Reading this makes me confused, teams help each other, Lincoln seems to still be one who expects to be able to play alone at first without consequences. Reminds me of a time before computers (and play stations and game programs other than some TV cartoons based on board games) when I used to play alone on a purple rug or sometimes the green rug in the basement, which I would rumple up to make terrain and then use toy soldiers (plastic and painted lead ones cast by me and my father and painted by us both) to move something around. Then came legos (not lego kits, plain old bulk lego blocks, this was before Lego kits came out) and the toy soldiers mostly ended up in an old shoebox. I built alone mostly, humming and muttering to myself.

Never was any good at team play in games. Wrestled for sports instead of playing football, not built tall and fairly slim to be a runner or sprinter. Was and am shorter and stocky, heavy boned. Boy Scouts was intuitive to me, mostly, though.

Guess I will never team game much, sorry gang.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    Take this entire thread, switch Minecraft for Terraria, and you get me.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I agree. I'm still rather confused getting into that game. I only partially understand Minecraft, but Terraria is just *whoosh* (even though you don't have to 100% memorize the crafting there, which is nice)
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    I agree. I'm still rather confused getting into that game. I only partially understand Minecraft, but Terraria is just *whoosh* (even though you don't have to 100% memorize the crafting there, which is nice)

Guys I explained this in my math equation, I even mentioned Terraria as a sample. I guess I need to tl;dr: minecraft = 1 to dick which is the integrade of a slope defining fun as a function of age
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    Terraria was pretty straight forward until the most recent major update. It now has me confused. Way to many bosses and item sets.
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    The problem is that minecraft is a sandbox game--or at least it used to be. Back in the alpha days it was much simpler. There weren't as many things to craft, so discovering or a recipe was easier. Since then its gotten much more complicated. I got bored with around the beta era after having to create a new map after every update to enjoy things such as biomes or to find the 1 stronghold that used to exist. Upon returning feel completely lost. 1.x brings so many change making the wiki even more of a crutch.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    The other night Lincoln admitted, "All I want to do is play Minecraft right now."
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    "One Of Us"

-Digi
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    "One Of Us"
    You don't want me addicted to Minecraft, trust me.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    Nah, You just need to build a sweet house on your plot :)
    Nah, You just need to build a sweet house on your plot :)
    What, you don't like my wooden alter of fire? :D
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    Welcome to the club Linc!
    "One Of Us"
    You don't want me addicted to Minecraft, trust me.
    Yeah, stick with your Vanilla addiction :P

-Digi
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    *altar

LAAAAAMMMMMEEEEE.
    edited February 2014
    It's 2 years later and I still stand by this.

I have fun in Minecraft off an on, but it's limited to basically digging out my little plot and building shit out of wood and wool, the things easiest to come by (besides dirt and cobble). I made some stone blocks but goddamn it is labor intense. I made some bricks until I realized it would take me about 20 lifetimes to find enough clay to do anything interesting with it. About as crazy as I got was producing some glass until I ran out of easily accessible sand.

I still have no idea how redstone works, how to dye a sheep (Skittle farm is a bit of a train wreck now), or what the hell a potion is for. I only got in a minecart for the first time this week after @Cannonfodder gave me one and said "here right-click on this" and I ended up in a goddamn infinite loop out by the pixel art. I haven't gotten back in one since because who knows where the fuck I'd end up or how I'd get back. :p

I've found plenty of different guides that would theoretically explain it all to me if I wanted to spend hours reading a wiki instead of playing, but you know what? Gaming by wiki sucks.
    brightJBoogaloo
  • brightbright Icrontian
    edited February 2014
    I read the first post thinking it was written in 2014 but it was 2012 and it's still true. The 360 version has a tutorial mode, I've not seen one for the PC yet. I'm done playing minecraft but enjoy watching Achievement Hunter's minecraft videos.

I agree with you completely. An unintuitive sandbox is not a good sandbox.
    I appreciate that you gave it another shot Linc. To each his own. If its not your thing, then its not your thing.

I still think that you should stop by, if only for a bit, for the tour on Saturday. Lots of stories to be told of Icrontic lore.

-Digi
    UPSLynxmidgaSignalcola
    Oh holy crap, I totally forgot that's going to happen... @UPSLynx, would you text me Saturday so I don't miss it? >_>
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I personally like the unintuitive interface. Though it does require a little help to get started if you have nothing to explain it to you, once I was told "make the general shape of the thing to craft it" I got the rest pretty quickly, though I do still have to resort to cheat sheets a little.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    midga said:

Oh holy crap, I totally forgot that's going to happen... @UPSLynx, would you text me Saturday so I don't miss it? >_>

Will try my best to remember to do that.

Remind me to remind ya.

midga
    UPSLynx said:

midga said:

Will try my best to remember to do that.

Remind me to remind ya.

k :)