ICMC: Economy discussion

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
As we are setting up the new server, we have a few options that I would like to hear opinions about. The main focus here being an economy on the server. I am open to different mods but there are some mods that would devalue an economy to the point of worthlessness.

For example, /home. /home would allow players to set a home paint and teleport to it at any time. The problem here is someone could get completely lost in a cave gathering goodies and simply /home to get out. It removes 1/2 the work and danger of getting the goodies thus making the goodies less valuable. These are the sort of things we need to take into consideration when talking about mods.

I will withhold my opinion on the matter until I can hear the majority of the community member's opinions.

So here's the questions: What is your opinion on running an economy on the server? Do you like the idea? Is there a mod you would like to see implemented that would or wouldn't mesh well with an economy?

-Digi

Comments

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    I've participated in many a vinilla economy, they tend to work very well. But most economy mods/bukkit plugins I've seen suck
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana Icrontian
    I see where /home could take away from some of the "dangerous" fun but I honestly like the /home command. It works well on other serves I play on.
    midga
  • I'm all for implementing a fun economic aspect, but I'm also a proponent of /home and any other fast travel you'd consider putting in place. The majority of the times I have to play, it's with other Icrontians and having a way to get back to base saves a lot of wasted cooperative time walking and allows more time building and hanging out.
    midga
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    I personally would like to see some form of fast travel. The scale that some of us like to build on makes it hard to find space and/or transport resources once you find your location. I usually tend to start the game with a mine and keep my resource load somewhat near said mine, where the project I would hope to complete is a fair distance away. I do like a vanilla server and all, but convenience has its advantages.
    midga
  • UPSMatLUPSMatL Metal Maniac Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    economy would be awesome. Hopefully a decent mod can be found. Im for /home ...Bring dat thang back
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Command blocks can and will most likely be used to to from spawn to claims / builds.

Thank you to those who have shared their opinions so far. What I am more interested in is what environment would you have more fun playing in; an economic survival community that encourages trading or a more creative server with focus on building?

-Digi
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    edited February 2014
    Being the greedy capitalist I am I vote trade, Creeperbane Steamworks, for all things that go boom intentionally or otherwise.
    Also on an unrelated note, an idea for spawn, commandblock based hologram....
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    The creative server aspect is the only part that interests me. I can't even be bothered to trade TF2 hats let alone Minecraft resources.
    midga
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    BobbyDigi said:

What I am more interested in is what environment would you have more fun playing in; an economic survival community that encourages trading or a more creative server with focus on building?

-Digi

I personally probably would not use the economy and avoid it if it was implemented. I prefer the creative building side and the adventuring side of Minecraft.
    midga
  • RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian
    I'm with @RahnalH102. I tend to explore until I find a place that screams "Build in me, Requit! Plunge into my caverns, conquer my curves, explore my every crack and crevice!" I'd only use an economy to get the hard to collect in large quantities resources, make the build easier.
    RahnalH102midga
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    I play minecraft for adventuring and building, I could take or leave an economy.
    midga
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I like the theory of having an economy set up in MC, but as most people have mentioned unless you have a huge community and/or a very large player base it kind of becomes more and more useless as time goes on, instead of more useful. The only time I had a successful economy setup on my server was when I made the server around the economy. You couldn't destroy anything, you had to buy all of your items by killing things to earn money. To be fair the server was set up like an MMORPG (which I want to start working on again).

That being said, I think the economy is a cool idea, through I would probably only use it to be novelty things. Paying for /spawn and /home would be one of them. What I would enjoy would be if you can find a way to make it so you have keepInventory on as long as you have a certain amount of money and you lose some of that when you die. Kind of like a pay-4-soulstone.
    midga
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2014
    I know I don't play IC Minecraft (I've explained why before), but for folks interested in an economy type server (and one I find interesting): the CivCraft server from reddit (http://reddit.com/r/civcraft) is pretty interesting in its implementation/usage.
    midga
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Not the slightest bit interested in a Minecraft economy on our server. In fact, it would almost certainly detract from my gameplay experience. For one, there's not nearly the playerbase for it, and really I just want to explore and hang out and build giant cocks. I have WoW for economy.
    colaUPSMatL
  • cola said:

midga said:

want giant cocks

midgacolaRahnalH102Creeperbane2
  • UPSMatLUPSMatL Metal Maniac Elkhart, IN Icrontian

cola said:

midga said:

want giant cocks

• BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    The only way an economy plugin would work is if it was used to exchange for goods or services from the server or world itself. Examples being exchanging virtual currency to set teleport points (or to make said teleports), exchanging them for items from a virtual vendor of some kind (maybe even stuff that's really tough/impossible to obtain, such as XP pots), etc. Anything else isn't worth it.

Anyway, all of the economy plugins I've had the misfortune of having to use have all been pretty terrible.
    GHoosdum
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    I'm in huge support of fast travel, including /home. If people want the danger of having to run back even when lost, then they can simply not use /home or other features.

Simply put, we are a diverse group of gamers that like different aspects of Minecraft. If you add fast travel, those that want it can use it, and those that would rather use vanilla transportation can do that as well. Everyone wins.

Regarding economy: not really interested in it. I would rather join a group to build or explore, using /spawn or /home to regroup as needed.