Oculus Rift: Good news and bad news

Comments

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

@BobbyDigi said:
    I was bored and decided to see just how much each person would get if they got part of the deal per donation or per dollar donated

Spreadsheet

A couple of the higher level donators could have been millionaires.

-Digi

Even if the kickstarter was half their funding, that would still be a lot of money.

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

Does the data take in to consideration any seed money or outside investors. I doubt they only used Kickstarter.

BobbyDigi
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

@BlackHawk said:
    Does the data take in to consideration any seed money or outside investors. I doubt they only used Kickstarter.

No it does not. Should be viewed with that in mind. The numbers are so large though. Even if the comeback was 25% of the sale, $500 would have received back $100,000

-Digi

Its amazing the difference between millions and billions.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    I love BobbyDigi‌'s post because data.

YET YOU DON'T "AWESOME" HIS POST BECAUSE LAZY

SonorousRahnalH102
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Or because pointless.

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian

@Thrax said:
    Or because pointless.

Since most of my near-term plans for Icrontic include filtering content based primarily on Reactions, that's not so much the case.

Hey, if Icrontikarma will start to do something, I'm game to pres butans.

• Top 10 Lolziest Icrontic Posts You Won't Believe - "I was shocked when I saw number 4!"

Prepare anus.

mertesnRahnalH102Garg
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian

Someone pointed this article from barely a month ago out to me.
    I found the last few bits interesting.

As long as Oculus remains in the spotlight and continues to impress, rumors will be running rampant. Some people think Microsoft, Google, Apple or any number of tech or gaming firms will purchase Oculus. And you can bet some have already tried. For now, Luckey insists that he's staying independent.

"We want to do things our way. There are certainly people who are interested... but we have a vision for our consumer product and we know that we're going to be able to pull it off. We don't want to be assimilated into someone who's going to have us working on their own product or their own vision of VR - we want to be able to deliver our own vision of what VR is," he said.

So even if a company like Amazon made a huge offer, it wouldn't matter? "Nobody can say it doesn't matter - everyone has a number," Luckey admitted. "But I don't think there's a reasonable number that would make me say, 'You know I was going to change the world with VR and try to change humanity forever but here's a number. It really is about making sure that we get to deliver our vision of consumer virtual reality."

Guess that number was 1.6bil in Facebook stock and 400mil in cash.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

@BHHammy said:
    Someone pointed this article from barely a month ago out to me.

I would imagine there's something in the contract that allows Palmer and the rest of OculusVR to carry on with their vision. I've met these guys IRL and they aren't the type to "sell out". Despite my feelings toward Facebook, I suspect OculusVR went in with a plan and conditions and would have walked no matter the amount of money if they weren't allowed to satisfactorily carry out their vision.

Garg

I still can't believe people are mad about this. Its a great story for inventors: Invent thing; get funding to make it mainstream; receive large payment and continue to work on what you love.

IMO: if you want repayment on your investment, don't use kickstarter. If you wanted something to go to market, goal accomplished.

Grats to him.

BandrikGarg_k
  • SignalSignal Icrontian

Agreed CannonFodder. I've seen articles throwing around the term "investor" when that isn't at all what you are doing through Kickstarter. You are making a non-tax deductible donation to the person behind the Kickstarter with the goal that the idea will become a reality.

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited March 2014

Unless, of course, you happen to hit limits on gift tax.

Someone let Cliff know he was already right, once again, before he lets us know he was already right, once again.

Edit: I'm leaving that broken link. I still have no markdown guide and that's what the site suggested with the "insert link" button.

@Lincoln: Kenkel inserted a valid link. Markdown broke that link.

• RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian
    edited March 2014

@BHHammy said:
    "But I don't think there's a reasonable number that would make me say, 'You know I was going to change the world with VR and try to change humanity forever but here's a number. It really is about making sure that we get to deliver our vision of consumer virtual reality."

Let's be fair, here. Two billion is an incredibly unreasonable number. Two million is more reasonable. But billion? That's just insane.

Garg
  • Look, just because someone made two billion on it does not make it a commercial success. Someone saw potential and invested a boat load of money. Is it mainstream? Has it changed anything? Not yet, I mean I can take a virtual tour of Seinfeld's apartment, that's worth something right?

• PinkPink Colour Sweden Icrontian

The oculus what?

trooster89KwitkoUPSLynx
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian

All my feels.

PirateNinjaBobbyDigiThraxUPSLynx
  • SignalSignal Icrontian

I'm hoping Amnesia will be able to be played on this. I would watch the hell out of those Youtube playthroughs.

@Cliff_Forster said:
    Look, just because someone made two billion on it does not make it a commercial success. Someone saw potential and invested a boat load of money. Is it mainstream? Has it changed anything? Not yet, I mean I can take a virtual tour of Seinfeld's apartment, that's worth something right?

It's a pretty good bet that if you spend 2 bil on something, you're going to take it to market ASAP.

Cliff_Forster
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2014

Tell that to companies that spend that and more to buy a product and bury it.

(Of course I don't think that's what's going to happen here, just saying the above statement is nowhere near a guarantee.)

Yea, that is true, but facebook doesn't compete with anything like Oculus Rift. They wouldn't have lost money if they hadn't purchased it.

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

Did Oculus have any trademarks/IP worth buying for the future?

• @CannonFodder said:
    It's a pretty good bet that if you spend 2 bil on something, you're going to take it to market ASAP.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/28/hp-buys-palm/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast.com

http://www.ign.com/articles/2002/09/24/microsoft-buys-rare

Companies spend billions on acquisitions that fail all the time.

Let me concede this, the Rift has gained more traction than I would have imagined. Is it a success just because Facebook flung 1.4 billion of questionably valued stock at it? Jury is still out.

• http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/04/11/palmer-luckey/7612715/

logical reasons why the fb acquisition is a good thing, lol @ "it's easy to be an armchair critic when the only thing you lose out on is ... indie credibility"

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian

Also where he states that they can sell with zero margin he means profit sharing with pay services using rift as a portal service, and data mining you. Palmer might not want to say that but it is a backside business deal that will happen since they are selling hardware not to make money since the real product is adopted VR.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

This. Is. Awesome. I might have to get the Razer Hydra just to play this game.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

What could you do with $2B in Facebook cash? Run your own space program.

http://www.newspacejournal.com/2014/03/26/could-a-facebook-deal-revive-armadillo-aerospace/