Need a PC upgrade

CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

So GnomeWizard's upgrade thread got me thinking and I am considering upgrading my system a bit. I am still rocking a Core 2 Duo and it's definitely starting to show it's age. I have a nice SSD and my GPU is the Radeon 7850 that I won at Epic a few years ago but am definitely in need of an upgrade in my processor.

I don't have a lot of money to spend (~$200) but if any of you have any older PC parts that are sitting around collecting dust for you (CPU\MoBo\RAM) that you don't use I'd be willing to buy them as they'd be an upgrade over what I currently have. I'd love something in the i7 (or AMD equivalent) range. Anyways, let me know.

Comments

• Depending on your motherboard needs you can buy a 8GB stick of decent RAM for $70. For $75 you can get an FM2 based Athlon X4 which is a fine budget gaming CPU (it's what is in my daughters machine) and you can get FM2 boards for $50 or so depending on what you would like in features. That gets you ballpark of $200 new.

Of course for just a little more you could go AM3+ and get the FX6300 which is without a doubt the finest gaming CPU you can buy dollar for dollar. It should give you legs for your next graphics upgrade.

• joe I'd ship you my i5 2500 + asrock mobo if you cover the costs of doing so. It's been sitting for over a year so it's "as is". probably works fine. no heatsink/fan or memory included. pm me if interested.

Signal
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian

Now joe thats a deal!

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian

Indeed.

So any recommendations on the best heatsink/fan and Memory to use?

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

CM Hyper 212 plus is $20 regularly (and is at this time)

Memory is a crapshoot, lots of solid brands out there. Depends on what the motherboard supports. Here is a decent filtered list to choose from, probably grab 8GBs to hold you for the foreseeable future unless you do some majorly memory intensive stuff.

The Motherboard is a P67 Extreme4.

If anyone has any DDR3 that they are not using I'd like to buy it off you.

@Tushon said:
    CM Hyper 212 plus is $20 regularly (and is at this time)

Memory is a crapshoot, lots of solid brands out there. Depends on what the motherboard supports. Here is a decent filtered list to choose from, probably grab 8GBs to hold you for the foreseeable future unless you do some majorly memory intensive stuff.

So I clicked on that link about the Heatsink/Fan and it said there is a newer version available. It's the same $29.99 as the one you linked. What is the difference between the two? It's been awhile since I've built my own system so I'm a bit out of the loop.

• SignalSignal Icrontian
    edited April 2014

From the looks of it it the base that goes against the CPU has more copper contact than the old one. It also looks to be flatter than its predecessor. Both allow for better heat transfer.

Edit:
    The new one is also lighter and has better airflow.

Newegg Comparison

edited April 2014

So Newegg has this bundle for $90 (after $5 rebate.) That seems like a pretty good deal to me, yes? I don't know much about that brand of memory.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

It's good stuff. I'm using it in my Intel system.

edited August 2014

So would upgrading the memory in this system from 8GB to 16GB make a noticible difference? I have some GCs to Best Buy and they have this set on sale for $80. Does mixing memory brands matter as long as they are the same speeds?

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2014

Well, they need to be same really. Not just same speed, though speed same does help, it is only part of the picture. 16 GB lets you run more programs at once faster, not same amount faster, BTW. BUT if switching programs is slow, more RAM might help there too.... Given same CPU both ways. RAM ALONE will help keep a system from pending stuff to HD a lot, so look at your HD light. Win7 will use up to 16 GB if it is a 64 bit subversion.

• What version of Windows do you run?

I wouldn't suggest mixing, I think your best bet would be to buy a 2x8GB set for that motherboard.

I have Windows 8.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

Ok, does your motherboard support DDR3 1600? I would source a G.Skill or Crucial set, myself. crucial.com has a memory configurator and will tell you what DIMMs they sell that they will guarantee are compatible with the motherboard you have. If their configurator is wrong, you can ship the kit back for a full refund.

• Windows 8 does a decent job of aggressively caching static resources you use frequently in to memory, so you would likely get a performance boost even if you don't actively use more than 8GB at a time. However, I'd be skeptical as to whether you would actually be able to notice the performance boost.

I think you would also lose the dual channel performance benefit if you want 4x4GB, but someone who knows more should check me on that.

If it were me, I'd find a deal on a 2x8GB set which will run you about $150 wherever you look. I double checked the motherboard, and it does support up to 8GB per dimm.
    http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ballistix-PC3-12800-240-Pin-BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00/dp/B006YG9EEW