Server Lag

UPSKingpinUPSKingpin SirElkhart, IN Icrontian

I'm getting some pretty consistent lag when playing on the server. Most of the time, it's just a delayed drop from a block I destroy. Occasionally it'll spike and I'll break 5+ blocks, only to have them reappear a few seconds later.

I don't know what our current server plan is, but is there a level higher that allows for more bandwidth that we could upgrade to? I'd be happy to throw in for it, and I'm sure other players would too. Most of the time this lag is, at worst, just an annoyance, and won't keep me from playing, but it would be ideal to have as smooth an experience as possible.

BandrikBobbyDigimidga

Comments

• BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian

I noticed the lag a bit too. I'm also with Kingpin... lag won't keep me away, but it makes for such a much nicer experience to have smooth gameplay.

BobbyDigi
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian

We could with some ease move from digital ocean to linode. Currently we pay $20 per month at digital ocean. Linode may have better geographic options and bandwidth.

midga
    edited May 2014

Howdy.
    I'm looking in to spot bids on EC2 to get something nice for cheap. I'm also investigating optimizing our memory allocation on the existing setup.

edit: somewhat convinced lag is a memory issue because we are not launching the server optimally. our hardware/bandwidth is good enough. Will get this figured out soon I hope

Would everyone be ok changing view-distance to 6? (currently at 10)

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

Worth giving a shot.

The deal is we are going to try and tweak things as is. If it doesn't work, there are considerably higher performing servers out there besides Digital Ocean, but moving and reinstalling is a bit of a weekend project so we would rather not do that just yet. Let's see how the new config does, please keep this thread updated with lag problems (or noticed improvements if that happens).

BobbyDigi
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

With the new distance change, ghast fireballs are not lagging toward me as badly. I actually hit one or two back with a sword, but still had to switch back to a bow. I haven't noticed blocks not breaking as badly as they used to, either. Sometime this week we should get a bunch of people on simultaneously and see what performance is like then.

• ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian

Starting to see sporadic lag again. It didn't seem too bad last weekend, but now it's starting to get annoying. Reasonably certain it's not just my connection; is anyone else experiencing this?

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian

I did when I was on last. Didn't know if it was me or the server but a I was mining I would warp back 3-4 blocks every once in a while.

I'll mention it to the server admins and we'll go from there.

-Digi