Any watch nerds on Icrontic?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Please post better pictures.
    midga
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2014

I want a pebble so bad. and they're getting more affordable. Def my next watch.

I was on the verge of getting the original when they came out with the new Steel, so now I'm waiting for that one to also go down in price a bit...

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian

The Steel is pretty much what I was hoping for - the grown-up version of the prototype. There are still some issues (it's not a top-end watch in terms of fit and finish, of course), but it at least finally has some weight to it (I can't stand super-light watches) and an outward visual appearance that kind of fits in with normal watches.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

hey @Fatcat what do you think of this one?

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

I need to know the battery life, and none of the articles about the M360 have those kind of specs yet. So far none of the other smart watches can hold even a faintly glimmering candle to the week-long battery of the Pebble's e-paper screen. A watch that needs to be plugged in every 16 hours is a worthless trinket, no matter what else it might do.

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian

I like the round look a lot better than all of the boxes out now.

More information here too:
    http://moto360.motorola.com/

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

After seeing my coworkers Pebble smartwatch, I'm really tempted to get one. It's small enough that the square face is no big deal (to me) and I love that it is e-ink, no having to turn the screen on. Also, 7 days of battery life according to my coworker. Furthermore, you can make it look like a Pip Boy

midga
  • RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian

Found my next dive watch:
    Android Divemaster Trans 52

edited March 2014

Android is a good company. Their lead designer is very innovative, and their commitment to quality is unquestionable.

//EDIT: @Requit it's also on sale for $58 direct from Android today.

BandrikRequitBuddyJ
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian

I haven't posted any images yet, but I've turned into an Android watch junkie. They really are good watches, and have a good rap online. Designs range from traditional to modern to even... bizarre. The lead designer, Wing Liang, is a pretty talented designer and historically offers excellent customer service and support for his products. The watches are generally "designed in USA but made in China", but use quality parts and movements such as Miyota and Seagull.

For buying, a good place to look is eBay. You can score great deals there. The main site, http://www.android-usa.com/ has a Deal of the Day section that are usually good. Amazon.com is sometimes good, but shop around and use CamelCamelCamel.com to ensure it's a real deal.

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2014

7 days is probably a bit much, depending on what you're doing with it. I think my current Steel is lasting closer to 5-6, but I've been driving it pretty hard as well. 7 under normal mostly-watch-only use wouldn't surprise me, I guess.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

@Snarkasm said:
    7 days is probably a bit much, depending on what you're doing with it. I think my current Steel is lasting closer to 5-6, but I've been driving it pretty hard as well. 7 under normal mostly-watch-only use wouldn't surprise me, I guess.

I don't think that he's actively playing with it as much as when he first got it, though I guess what he said was that he only needs to charge it once a week usually.... so not quite the same as saying the battery lasts 7 days I suppose.

Also, damnit @Thrax‌, after 2 minutes of looking at Android's website I've already found two watches on sale that I want.

http://www.android-usa.com/product-p/ad617bk.htm

http://www.android-usa.com/product-p/ad716bbu.htm

ffffuuuuuuuuuuuu

I'm a big fan of their Skyguardian line. I have my sights set on the AD614BBU, whenever it comes back down to the $150 range.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

Their product thumbnails don't match the watches.

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian

Any thoughts on this Invicta on Tanga right now?

I'm tempted, but i has a different movement than the 8926OBv2; this has the PC32A. Is that any good or should I skip this and look for the better watch?

edited April 2014

PC32A is quartz. It's a Seiko movement, so it will be perfectly find and reliable, but if you're like me and generally prefer mechanical watches 90% of the time, then it's not especially inspiring. Divers have historically been mechanical, and the Seiko NH35A is a real beauty at a darling of a price on the Invicta models that feature it.

I think you could find a better Seiko mechanical for $50 than an Invicta quartz at the same price.

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2014

I'm seeing the SNK809 and SNKK71 in that price range, apparently they both utilize the 7S26C movement. Is that any good, or would you recommend holding out for an NH35A watch?

edited April 2014

The 7S26C is nice. Very durable, good timekeeper and reliable. The NH35A is considered to be "better" because it can be hand-wound, and the second hand stops when the crown is pulled to make the process of setting the time a little easier. Neither are deal-breakers, imho.

Can't go wrong either way. You can just shake that little 7S26 for 10 seconds to get her started, then go about your business. The auto-winding is very robust.

I got my first Seiko today. I took me a solid 6 months to appreciate the aesthetic of anything they had to offer.

• ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited April 2014

60% of my box is Seiko :) And I believe the blue AKA is a Seiko subsidiary (my recollection is not crystal clear on that though)

I still don't find much of Seiko's catalog attractive, but hell if they don't make good watches. Especially for the price.

• ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian

I like the look of this one: http://www.ashford.com/us/watches/seiko/chronograph/SNDF09.pid On sale today for $72.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

For all the high tech gadgets I own, my latest watch is the thing that most fascinates me most. I can just sit there and watch the mechanical magic happen, and I find the ticking soothing for some reason. <3 skeleton watches.

Snarkasmmidga
  • PinkPink Colour Sweden Icrontian

I think this looks neat:

Sauce: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006KZ4IKW/?tag=14606-20

• RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian
    edited May 2014

Just a head's up, Android is currently having a massive sale on watches.

http://www.android-usa.com/category-s/125.htm

A few examples to whet your collective appetites:

Prices are pretty good, though eBay will be much lower with dilligence.

• BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian

I've bought Android watches from both their store during sales and eBay. @Thrax is spot on. Generally best prices are had with eBay auctions (not so much with Buy it Now listings). Sometimes the sales on the Android website have the best prices. It all depends. Due diligence, etc.