New headset

GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

Hey duders,

My crappy headset is starting to go, so I'd like a new one. I'd prefer a cordless one-- I think half the reason I go through them so quickly is because the cords always get crazy tangled with my chair and such. (Do the cordless ones need batteries?)

Anyways, I know we have several Icrontians using cordless mics, and I'd love recommendations. I can't spend a whole lot on it-- I'd prefer $80 or less, but I know that may not be likely. I definitely can't spend more than $100 on one.

Thankz dahlingz.

Comments

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-ca/product/g430-7-1-surround-sound-gaming-headset

Lower priced version of my G930s which I'm absolutely in love with.

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Sennheiser anything.

SignalSonorous
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian

As an owner of the everpopular G930 I just want to give me honest opinion that it is overpriced and buggy. I've RMAed twice. My problems have consistently been failing LEDs, failing batteries, and odd issues with power button sometimes working and sometimes not working. As soon as my final RMAed version's battery dies, I'm getting something else.

Check the 4 star reviews even:
    http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Gaming-Headset-Surround/product-reviews/B003VANOFY/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_4?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addFourStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

People complain about being able to turn it on and off, disconnection issues, etc. Still, they manage to give the thing 4 stars. My most recent RMA was just two months ago or so and I'm already having problems again.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Wow. Those things used to be $170. I got mine for $150.

They're awesome headphones, but not worth that price. Even so, Senn does have some more modestly-priced options.

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited May 2014

They've been discontinued, IIRC, which is why they're priced so astronomically high on Amazon at the moment.

Just went through this with Ryan last night, who settled on an HD-280 per Jimmy's recommendation: gaming stuff is typically overpriced and cheap - your money is best spent elsewhere on Sennheiser, AKT, Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic, or Sony studio monitor options.

All that being said - if you don't mind a USB headset option, I'm releasing a review on these guys which hit a particularly nice price point for the options.

Basil
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    edited May 2014

Seconding MalletPeen, the G930 is an overpriced piece of cacapoopoo. I'd expect performance like this from a $30 knock-off. If I'd paid that sort of money for it, I'd be happy with it. It functions well enough that I use it most every night. It just has a tendency to randomly drop and regain signal (or maybe it's power-cycling), fluctuate between a couple different volume levels for no apparent reason, occasionally play some applications' sound through only one ear...and a bunch of other random crap. It does have a few configurable buttons, which I like a lot. As soon as I find a good wireless headset with configurable buttons like this one has, though, I'm replacing this thing.

--edit--

So, I've been searching around, and I haven't found any other wireless headsets that have programmable keys like the G930 does. As much as I use them, I don't consider them optional. Looks like I might be stuck. =/

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited May 2014

@NiGHTS said:
    They've been discontinued, IIRC, which is why they're priced so astronomically high on Amazon at the moment.

Just went through this with Ryan last night, who settled on an HD-280 per Jimmy's recommendation: gaming stuff is typically overpriced and cheap - your money is best spent elsewhere on Sennheiser, AKT, Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic, or Sony studio monitor options.

All that being said - if you don't mind a USB headset option, I'm releasing a review on these guys which hit a particularly nice price point for the options.

Sennheiser replaced them with the G4ME Zero and G4ME One. I bought the Zeroes and while good, they are over priced. I suggest if Jackie's not in a rush to get some regular headphones and a ModMic.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

I had an old version of the Plantronics GameCom headset and was quite pleased with the sound and comfort. The GameCom 780 fits your budget and should be comfortable even while wearing glasses (this was a problem for me with most headsets).

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
  • SignalSignal Icrontian

@shwaip said:
    plus one of these: http://www.modmic.com/

OMG that looks so much better than a cord clip on. Why did I not know about this?

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

I use a very similar setup (the 598 instead of the 558) and an older version of the modmic.

I really like it.

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Thirding the "stay away from Logitech G930s." I hated them. Way too big for lady heads. Way too buggy for people who want their headsets to work.

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian

@Annes said:
    Thirding the "stay away from Logitech G930s." I hated them. Way too big for lady heads. Way too buggy for people who want their headsets to work.

I actually have to wear a beanie to make mine fit right.

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian

amazon.com/Shure-SRH240A-Professional-Quality-Headphones/dp/B002DP594W/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1399910515&sr=8-5&keywords=shure+headphones

I dont use a Mic but I love these headphones. Also just throw the Mod Mic on it and ur under 100 bucks

• maliamalia Sconnie Nation Icrontian
    edited May 2014

@Annes said:

So I am in the same boat (price-wise, etc) as GQ, but MUST have a cordless headset, because dogs, and reasons. I also have a very small lady head. (think child sized hats,etc). Is there a magical headset/mic that exists for me??

GnomeQueen
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

Honestly, none that I'd want you to spend your money on...

Wireless is a tricky beast. :(

AnnesGnomeQueen
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Unfortunately, Kenkel is correct. I've been trying to find this unicorn for the past couple of years and even with a much bigger budget I haven't been able to find anything worth it.

GnomeQueen

@Annes said:
    Unfortunately, Kenkel is correct. I've been trying to find this unicorn for the past couple of years and even with a much bigger budget I haven't been able to find anything worth it.

Seen these?