Let's talk Steam In-Home Streaming (what it is, how to set it up)

2»

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

I know it's early in the process so they'll hopefully have something set up to make it work right without intentionally breaking one's system.

All of this reminds me that I must get myself a decent keyboard/mouse combo for my HTPC so I can play Borderlands 2 on my 55" screen.

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian

Oooh yeah.... Borderlands 2 on my shiney new 40" LED TV would be sexy fun time.

• RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian

Anyone know offhand if this works on different OSes? Can I finally play my entire Windows library on my little Linux laptop?

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Should be possible, yes.

@Requit said:
    Anyone know offhand if this works on different OSes? Can I finally play my entire Windows library on my little Linux laptop?

Absolutely. Seems like that's a large part of why they developed it, so they could bring the entire Steam library to SteamOS, even the ones that aren't native on Linux

• RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian
    edited May 2014

@ardichoke said:
    Absolutely. Seems like that's a large part of why they developed it, so they could bring the entire Steam library to SteamOS, even the ones that aren't native on Linux

Last I checked, SteamOS is Linux. So you'd still need a dedicated Windows gaming machine to get full run of SteamOS? On one hand, I can see how useful that is. But on the other, it still feels like the Steambox is just redundant.

@Requit said:
    Last I checked, SteamOS is Linux. So you'd still need a dedicated Windows gaming machine to get full run of SteamOS? On one hand, I can see how useful that is. But on the other, it still feels like the Steambox is just redundant.

That's what I was saying... the point is you can have a lightweight, low power, quiet box in the living room running SteamOS... and your high-power, noisy gaming box in another room and you can stream your AAA titles from your high power box to the living room.

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    edited May 2014

@AlexDeGruven said:
    The reason people are annoyed by it is that they've literally been using the system incorrectly from the start, and changing to proper usage is painful because any change in usage habits is painful.

If only players of certain online games understood this concept.

My question: is this a purely LAN sort of connection or could I say, go to EpIC with my laptop, connect to my desktop over the internet, and then play? (Purely hypothetical, I can't go to EpIC this year. :( )

I would imagine not since that could be used in nefarious ways.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

LAN only.

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

EPICVPN 2015, calling it.

Some notes:

Alienware m11x (client)
    2500k + crossfire 5850 (host)
    MS wireless controller (client)

NBA2k14 tested - figured a sports game would be an ideal stress test with timing-related functionality and performance

• Laggy enough to be detrimental to Jadinkalage "Buckets" Flaxonwaxon's (my created player) performance
    • Ticking advanced options of "prioritize network traffic" on host seemed to have slight improvement
    • Game was running in windowed mode on host, screen went to sleep after 15 mins, audio and force feedback continued from the game, but video was frozen
    • Host limited to 1080p, made slight improvements on latency
    • Host changed from windowed mode to fullscreen, negated all benefits of both previously mentioned network settings
    • Client options set to "fast" - no noticeable change

Appears to be somewhat finicky at the moment with this particular game. However, the sheer awesomeness of this whole thing is really something to behold and experience. I ran big-screen mode on the client, loaded the game with my controller, and began playing - that was it, it was about as plug-and-play as you can get. Chatted with Thrax on both keyboard and voice comm without issue.

This is really freaking cool.

ErrorNullTurnip
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian

@NiGHTS‌ Could you tell what was causing your lag from reading the performance output? Was it encoding, decoding, network?

@BlackHawk‌ no, unfortunately - since the logging never took place. I'll try again later and attempt the same ... not sure why the streaming_log didn't write.

Toning the stream down to 720p fixed most issues with latency. Wondering if it's a hardware issue on the host end?

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

What were you using for networking on both the host and client?

Wired: Cat5e from client, cat6 to host