Dead PC

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New

My sister in-law's computer (Cyberpower) would no longer turn on. Pressing the power button fail to initialize anything. I replaced the power supply (650W) with a Hyper 580W. The computer started and booted fine until it suddenly shut down. It would restart and then after a short time shut off again. I have pulled all components out, cleaned, swapped the reset and power switch, and still have the same problem. The Hyper 580W worked fine before I purchased a new one for an upgrade. She mention it had done the same thing until it would not longer power up. The PC case does not have the model number anywhere and she can't find it in her records. Any ideas?

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

I'd investigate the motherboard next.

But first, do you have another system you can plug the replacement PSU into to verify that it's ok?

• Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New

I tried it in a different PC and worked fine. Her PC is an I7 and all mine are older intels or AMD. I am tempted to go ahead and replace the motherboard as it seems to be the only option. Just don't want to be wrong.

That would be my next step, personally. If it were a cooling or underpowered PSU issue, then it would always at least try and start. But if you're getting nothing at all, then there's really nowhere else to go.

You can also try manually jumping the pins that the power switch plugs into to verify that there's nothing external to the board causing the issue.

I will try that and if doesn't work, motherboard it is.

Thanks man

I'm sure someone else will chime in with something I may have missed or another suggestion. This place is good for that :)

So dice on manually jumping. Fortunately the replacement boards are as cheap as $50-75 for something decent. It has been awhile since I have been on here while going to school. Forgot how much better Icrontic is than all the other riff-raff communities out there.

primesuspect
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited August 2014

Can you list the model number for the PC so we can get a full list of specs?
    EDIT: I missed the last part about the model number being missing. Maybe you can do a dxdiag and list out what is there for us?

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

Good to see you, @Radio91P :)