Relatively New External Drive Not Shown in My Computer

yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member

Drive is a Transcend 1TB StoreJet. USB powered and spins up when plugged in, light comes on and you can hear it spinning, just will not show up as a recognized drive. Any thoughts?

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Do you see the device show up in Device Manager? Sometimes a USB device will identify itself as a drive-letter that is already in use in the system.

If you see it in DM, you should be able to change the drive letter it presents as (I can't speak to the specifics right now as I'm not on a Winbox, ATM).

• yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member

OK. Ill give it a shot.

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Specifics: Hold Windows Key + R and release both. Type "compmgmt.msc" and hit enter. Expand Storage then click on Disk Management. In the bottom of the resulting window, look for a disk that doesn't have a drive letter. Right-click on it and choose "Change Drive Letters and Paths" or something similar, then click Change and choose a new drive letter.

That's definitely a common problem.

AlexDeGruvenSignalJBoogaloo
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian

Thanks. I have to do it to remember stuff like that and I won't be at a Winbox until at least tonight.

In Device Manager there is an exclamation pt next the the device and it says "this device cannot be started. (Code 10). Is it fried?

edited October 2014

Drive does not show in Disk Management either, but now shows it is working properly in Device Manager. It also shows when you go to the "eject external devices" tab in the lower right. This is weird.

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian

It will need to be formatted and assigned a letter, but there should be a "new or uninitialized" drive in disk management. You need to initialize and then format.

When it is shown in disk Management it says "no media." No option to reformat when I right click.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

It needs to be initialized, which will lose any data on it. Then format it.