Ping Fluctuations

d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

Over the last few days I have noticed my ping on Ventrilo fluctuating pretty wildly. I normally float around 20-50 which is acceptable, however it will for extended periods of time jump to 700+, then come back down to 30ish. I have looked at my network during these times and I don't see any high load going on, just normal stuff. I am not downloading anything, nor is there much going on with anyone on my network (3DS, 1 work laptop and 2 cellphones). I have checked on the work laptop to see if it has similar issues (speedtest.net) and it appears to have the same problem. 400-700 ping according to the test, I ran an extended "ping 8.8.8.8 -n 1000" and even direct to Google, the fluctuation occurs randomly.

The only thing I can think of since it doesn't seem to be local to my PC, is that either the Router or Modem is on the crapper. Is that the correct assumption, or could I be missing something else entirely?

Comments

• d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian

Might be worth noting I have noticed that the ping is consistent across all network connections during the time period, not just ventrilo. If it is high on Vent, it is high on Minecraft, Diablo, World of Warcraft, Rift, Google, and my work VPN.

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
    Packets: Sent = 1000, Received = 982, Lost = 18 (1% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 36ms, Maximum = 716ms, Average = 349ms

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

That sounds like the right place to look (modem/router or upstream and out of your control). If you own the modem and router, check out if there are firmware upgrades available. If you've done that and are still experiencing the issue, you might be able to get a line speed analysis from your ISP, depending on who they are ... or it could cascade into something far worse (comcast :( )

I just updated the firmware on the router to see if it would fix it. I get my modem through TimeWarner, so I just swapped my old one for an actual new one and turns out my old slower plan was more expensive than a faster one.

edited October 2014

Sadly it appears that the issue was a combo of the two. I upgraded the modem, which has removed most of the issue however I still seem to get the occasional lag spike for 10 minutes or so, so now I need to update the router from my old Netgear. I tried picking up a Linksys e1200 but it looks like that thing drops the connection completely every 20 minutes.

So I gotta figure out if I want to pay more for a lesser router that I can return if I dislike it from the store, or pay less for a better router from Craigslist that might not work at all and I can't return.

Anyone have suggestions on Routers? I have a pretty small house and not a lot of connections so a n300/n600 would probably work pretty well. I am looking to spend no more than 75-80 bucks.

I am thinking

http://smile.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WDR3600-Wireless-Gigabit-300Mbps/dp/B008RV51EE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1413818023&sr=1-1&keywords=tp-link+n600

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2014

Might be worth checking out DD-WRT for one of your existing routers (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database). I've had great success resurrecting them in the past with fresh firmware.

I had this D-Link and it was great for quite a few years. $60. Stock firmware was fine and DD-WRT on it made it ace.

Signal

My current router isn't supported. Netgear WNR1000 v3