The PlayStation 4 discussion

13»

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    fatcat said:

I really really like the concept of Drive Club.

Imagine an icrontic drive club night. cars. roads. and a bunch of shit talk ;)

Dude, I am SO IN for Icrontic Drive Club. Add bourbon and you have a legendary evening.

They didn't show the actual console because right now, it's basically hardware on a server rack. I saw pre-announce PS3 test units at THQ. Same spec as the retail PS3, just not optimized to fit in the space of the design shell and be cooled properly.

If they wanted to show us the PS4 right now, it would just look like 2 or 3 line boards on a server rack. They're going to wait for E3 to reveal the actual kit.

I think PS4 looks interesting. They showed off some nice game potential. I'm skeptical on how much of it was actually real talk footage and not bullshots, but I'm confident in the system's capabilities. I think it is very, very interesting that Sony led with Drive Club over GT though. Gran Turismo has been Sony's baby since PS1. We know GT5 didn't do so well, especially against Forza, so it looks like that honeymoon might be over.
  • If I looked like that I'd never leave the house.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    I agree about Drive Club. I haven't been into many racing games, but the concept of that one looks fantastic. I might actually get a PS4 if this an other games become a reality of social gaming on Icrontic.
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    Meh
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    if you missed the presentation of the PS4, here is a TLDR

ChoochBandrik
  • QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S. Icrontian
    Drive club would be perfect. I've always loved and been great at racing games, and with it being on a friendly device such as a console (so couches = available and ready) I would be very down for IC night.
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    I don't even care for racing games, and Drive Club looks kind of sweet. Something that actually showcases an -experience- instead of just CARS RACING LOOK AT ALL OF THE SHINY. I can't identify with any of that other mess at all- but actually putting forth a "step into the driver's seat yourself" actual -experience- is much more easy to relate, even to someone who isn't into cars.
    UPSLynx
  • http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Exclusive-Family-Entertainment-PlayStation-3/dp/B009DYE3JI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361561490&sr=8-1&keywords=PS3

A sweet drop on the PS3 price. For a bundle, I suppose if you want a blu ray and an hd media streamer that doubles as a gaming machine, it's not a bad deal. I may actually pick on up.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    fatcat said:

if you missed the presentation of the PS4, here is a TLDR

"We'd really would like it if you'd buy a PS Vita."

Also, I love the Square-Enix little tease. Now everyone is going to be bugging out about a PS4-based Final Fantasy VII remake.

Sadly, myself included.

• BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    edited February 2013
    PS4 Price? Wellllllll...

These guys are certainly putting out some sort of figure on a pre-order.

(Yes I'm aware that is a projected Australian price, I just thought it was hilarious)
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    Massive Damage.
    Just so everyone is aware - that's not an official price, and it's also Austrailia.

Actual price will be nowhere near that.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Sony learned the hard way about price vs sales. There's almost no way this debuts for more than $399 for the cheapest version.
    edited February 2013
    UPSLynx said:

Just so everyone is aware - that's not an official price, and it's also Austrailia.

Actual price will be nowhere near that.

899.00 Australian Dollar = 927.19 US Dollar

original PS3 went for $499(20GB) and $599(60GB) when released in 2006

with today's inflation I totally expect it to be $699 or more, I mean this is Sony (have you seen the price on unlocked Sony cellphones?), not Google.
    Yeah, I get that, but like Mert said, Sony will be shooting themselves in the head if they try to launch a console at that price. It will literally be over for them. They can't sustain that, not after the last couple of years they've had.

Besides, looking like a lot of those high end cloud functions won't even be available at launch. Sony exec calling them 'aspirational'. Sheesh, here we go.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/22/4017222/sony-says-ps4-cloud-features-are-aspirational/in/3774815
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    fatcat said:

899.00 Australian Dollar = 927.19 US Dollar

I'd be careful with that comparison - even digital sales for AUS customers are slammed with various taxes that inflate the price.

Apple sells expensive shit, why not Sony?

I wonder how many sheep will buy a Vita with the PS4 so they can be a dragon ALL THE TIME ;)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    It's cheaper to fly to the US and buy CS6 than to purchase it in Australia. They get hosed on price.
    fatcat said:

Because Apple is dominating the global computer and phone markets while Sony is a close third place in the low-margin console market? Or was that rhetorical? ;)
    midga
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    Lincoln said:

fatcat said:

Because Apple is dominating the global computer and phone markets while Sony is a close third place in the low-margin console market? Or was that rhetorical? ;)
    What's your definition of dominating?
    midga
    BlackHawk said:

What's your definition of dominating?

Being the number one producer in both markets.

inb4 "tablets aren't computers now that Apple owns the market for them" :p
  • @Cliff_Forster said:
    Flawless track record on consumer electronics predictions. I am the oracle. Seriously, my resume, flawless, if it's going to succeed or fail, I always get it right. I may be a geek, but I understand the every-man. 4K will not widely accepted in homes until the PS4 is on it's last leg.
    ...bla bla bla bla...
    4K will take off when all the first generation plasma and LCD's are ready to hit the landfills in about a decade.

@PirateNinja said:
    Nobody knows exactly what will happen but my opinion is that soon as h265 is well adopted 4k will absolutely be in everyone's living rooms. My guess is we are about 2 years away from seeing 4k tvs in the stores. I'll come back on this thread in 2 years and check.

LincCrazyJoe
  • Man, but I JUST upgraded my TVs to 1080p Samsung panels like a year ago!