I Need New Network Gear

SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
edited February 2015 in Hardware

Looking to replace my D-LinkcDIR DIR-655 router and access points. Currently the router does no wireless networking and the two access points handle the WiFi. I think I would like to keep a similar set up due to the space I have to cover with wifi. Just looking for some recommendations. DD-WRT would be cool but I have never seen that on access points. A minimum of 802.11n is my only real requirement other that something that's a quality product and relatively bulletproof.

Comments

• I'm not the best for this advice, but since nobody else has replied I am extremely happy with this guy:
    http://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY

That's my router, but I also configured one for a coworker as an access point a few years back and AFAIK there has never been an issue. You could use this as a router, and two more as access points. Seems expensive, but I'm not sure what you are up against or what you need.
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U

That's a guide that basically tells you it's possible to run DD-WRT on this router, but you have to be careful because of a risk of bricking it.

Sonorous
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

Due to the size of the house I have to have two access points. Additionally because the router is in the basement it makes that a less than ideal location for Wifi broadcast.

I just rebooted all my gear and did some additional set up on them to help organize the network. Unfortunately the issues have not been resolved leading me to believe my constant loss of connection is hardware failure in one of the access points.

Thanks for the links and I'll definitely give that router a consideration.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

At ICHQ one ASUS RT-AC66U is enough to cover the whole house from attic to basement + carriage house + front yard.

Sonorous
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian

I guess because I have been using old gear I have wrongly assumed what I need. I might just buy a new router and see what kind of signal I get and progress from there. I guess ASUS is the brand to get, as I am seeing them getting decent to good reviews. Thanks guys.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Another vote for RT-n66u. It's a monster with Tomato installed, and the stock firmware is surprisingly usable, too.

Sonorous
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I liked the RT-n66u as well. mine ended up dying a strange death and I replaced it with another Asus :biggrin:

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian

What do you guys think of this thing?

http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/03/eero/

• doabarrellrolldoabarrellroll San Jose, CA Icrontian

@CannonFodder said:
    What do you guys think of this thing?

http://www.engadget.com/2015/02/03/eero/

I've been looking at that today. It's priced similarly to the WRT1900AC which is like the new router to get AFAIK.

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian

No info other than "This will work real good and stuff"

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited February 2015

I got the Asus RT-AC66U some time ago and get great reception all over the 2200sf 1 story house I live in as well as the neighbor houses on either side of me. This was 2 weeks after setting up an RT-N66U for a friend in his 3700sf one story that was good except for 2 weak spots as the line into the house was at one end. I was so impressed by the difference that I talked him into swapping up to the AC66U. In turn he was so impressed with the improvement including eliminating all dead spots and adding wi-fi out to his patio that he gave me nice bottle of Bordeaux.

Edit:
    His is configured as an access point.