Built ready, need someone to look it over.

leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian

I have not build a gaming PC in at least over 8 years. So i'm not up to date at all on the parts.

Could someone look it over, and let me know if there are any obvious mistakes that i have made, or parts that should be swapped out for another better bang for the buck part.

Thanks in advance.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $224.29 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99 @ NCIX US
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste $6.89 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $139.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $59.75 @ OutletPC
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $109.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $53.49 @ Directron
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card $326.98 @ Newegg
Case NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $68.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ SuperBiiz
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $29.99 @ SuperBiiz
Monitor Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor $264.99 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1405.33
Mail-in rebates -$10.00
Total $1395.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-26 21:14 EDT-0400

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

I'd suggest going in for at least 16 GB of RAM and just using the stock heatsink/TIM unless you're planning an overclock. If the latter, get a heatsink with a ball or fluid dynamic bearing. Most everything comes with decent thermal grease these days so I wouldn't spend extra on AS5. Your processor has a TDP of 88W and lots of low-power features; the days of smokin' hot processors are pretty much gone. I wouldn't bother overclocking either, I haven't found a CPU-limited game yet.

CB_kAlexDeGruvenmidgaRyanFodder
  • VicarVicar Icrontian

I would also probably go for 2x 8gb or 2x 4gb atm. This gives you scope to add more in future. Always best to populate in pairs.
    Overall a good build.

• leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian

@drasnor said:
    I'd suggest going in for at least 16 GB of RAM and just using the stock heatsink/TIM unless you're planning an overclock. If the latter, get a heatsink with a ball or fluid dynamic bearing. Most everything comes with decent thermal grease these days so I wouldn't spend extra on AS5. Your processor has a TDP of 88W and lots of low-power features; the days of smokin' hot processors are pretty much gone. I wouldn't bother overclocking either, I haven't found a CPU-limited game yet.

Since overclocking isn't really recommended, should i just get a Non-K processor and a cheaper motherboard to save some money, and add that other 8 gig of ram for the pair.

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian

@leishi85 said:
    Since overclocking isn't really recommended, should i just get a Non-K processor and a cheaper motherboard to save some money, and add that other 8 gig of ram for the pair.

That seems perfectly reasonable to me. You might stick with the Z97 if you like the board/chipset features though; that's always a trade since the less expensive chipsets have fewer SATA, USB3, etc.

@drasnor said:
    That seems perfectly reasonable to me. You might stick with the Z97 if you like the board/chipset features though; that's always a trade since the less expensive chipsets have fewer SATA, USB3, etc.

Looks like the following will be the new build, anything else?
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
    CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $178.99 @ SuperBiiz
    Motherboard MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $100.98 @ Newegg
    Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $114.99 @ NCIX US
    Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $109.99 @ Amazon
    Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $53.49 @ Directron
    Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card $326.98 @ Newegg
    Case NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $64.99 @ Micro Center
    Power Supply SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ SuperBiiz
    Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $29.99 @ SuperBiiz
    Monitor Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor $264.99 @ B&H
    Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
    Total (before mail-in rebates) $1345.38
    Mail-in rebates -$20.00
    Total $1325.38
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-27 12:27 EDT-0400

Is the 550W power supply enough for future SLI setup?

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited March 2015

I would not bank on that (probably not).

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-rm750

That gets you fully modular 750W PSU from a respected manufacturer (I have exclusively used Corsair, Seasonic and PC P&C for quality parts).

I was looking at the geforce "certified SLI" chart and seeing the median lowest number around 750.

primesuspect

@Tushon said:
    I would not bank on that (probably not).

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-rm750

That gets you fully modular 750W PSU from a respected manufacturer (I have exclusively used Corsair, Seasonic and PC P&C for quality parts).

I was looking at the geforce "certified SLI" chart and seeing the median lowest number around 750.

Thanks for the input, swapping out the PSU, and ordering all the parts online right now.

can anybody recommend a monitor, looks like the monitor i picked is sold out as of right now.