You should watch Steven Universe, and we should talk about it.

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian

colaChoochIlriyasRahnalH102midga
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian

Ride on Shooting Steven by Vaporotem

Pearl-la-Peridot
    by rongs1234

ChoochUPSLynx
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

dat second picture!!!!

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    GnomeQueen

Opal by Sannanai

GnomeQueenChooch
    edited March 2015

P.S. Regardless of how I feel about a show, game, movie, etc. (which is currently still up in the air regarding SU. Still haven't completed a single episode.) I always support creative fanart that inspired the artist. For a fan to feel inspired to expand upon a concept they enjoy, is something special. A testament to how great that concept is.

BobbyDigiChoochUPSLynx

omg. I want this to be a thing.

edited April 2015

Mike thinks Garnet is best gem.

UPSLynx

So stoked to see they did a video on SU. Idea channel rules.

Today, CN launched "Attack the Light', a Steven Universe game for IOS and Android. GET IT.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.turner.stevenrpg

It's a turn-based RPG with a wonderful art style, and it's the exact kind of game you could want out of the Steven Universe, uh, universe.

Only a matter of time I suppose.

by bunnimation

ChoochUPSLynxcola

Cell Redraws by Daniiux

ChoochGnomeQueenUPSLynx

edited April 2015

I can't wait to hear thoughts from @CB thoughts on Say Uncle.

GnomeQueen
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian

You already know my thoughts, I'm sure. But, I'll elucidate:

It was a non-canon cruftfest, a wasted episode, just like any other time they use valuable story-telling space for what amounts to official fanfiction. I wish they had done real development instead.

However, I understand the need for, in what is essentially a kids' show, to have the occasional 'light-hearted' episode, and especially after all the recent heavy stuff that's been going down, this wasn't a bad spot for it. Also: It wasn't as bad as I'd expected: The creators used the opportunity to do some lampooning of both UG and SU, and that lampooning was skillful. So, while it was a wasted opportunity for more valuable storytelling, it wasn't an entirely unpleasant experience. (unlike that terrible Garnet Goes on a Crayon Adventure in Steven's Mind episode. That one makes me cringe just thinking about it.)

UPSLynx
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

NO IT WAS HORRIBLE UNCLE GRANDPA IS THE CREEPIEST SHIT EVER

I..... actually agree with you on that @cb. Weird.

Chooch
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

Personally I'm just surprised as to how in Joy Ride they managed to drive from California ostensibly to Ottawa in an evening to where Peridot landed. She was very clearly between Ontario and Quebec if you pay attention to the escape pod.

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

UPSLynx

The gems in different period outfits from http://tellersplace.tumblr.com/

Regency

Victorian

20s

UPSLynx

@Thrax said:

HE LEFT HIS FAMILY BEHIND!

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian

GnomeQueenChoochcola

ThraxChooch

I finally finished catching up to the current episode with @HumerusMeg. What strikes me about this show is how unflinchingly it deals with adult topics and language.

I've never before heard any televised program use the word "schmaltz," before Connie dropped it on Steven in season two. No kid is ever going to know what that word means.

Also this idea that Steven's mother sacrificed herself for Steven to live, that Steven once cried about everyone knowing his mother but him. That's heavy.

The idea that the Crystal Gems have been stranded for millennia, if not rebels or outcasts.

That Garnet is the fusion of two same-sex gems who love each other very much.

There are so many things in this show that are clearly aimed at people with a wider view of the world than a child would have, yet it's still perfectly functional as a show for kids.

It's really masterful.

ChoochRahnalH102TushonUPSLynxcola

When I started watching this show, it was around "Steven and the Stevens", and a lot of the really heavy topics hadn't been explored yet. It was a fun "monster of the week" show that I was really into, and when the emotions started hitting, it blew me away. I really didn't expect so much out of what seemed like a simple show.

"Rose's Scabbard" hits me like a ton of bricks. It's the fact that you come to realize that Pearl has been dealing with what's basically PTSD for 5,000 some years, and her only escape and hope was Rose, and now she doesn't even have that. That hurt her so much that she was basically willing to let Steven face potentially fatal danger. That kind of emotional depth is so far beyond what "kids" shows typically approach. It makes me cry like a baby.

Latest episode SO GOOD. I watched it twice in a row.

• BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian

I still haven't watched this show yet

UPSLynx

Perfect:

GnomeQueenBasilcola
  • RequitRequit That one guy Somewhere over there, I don't know Icrontian

Crap. I haven't seen anything since the Lapis episode. I apparently have a lot of catching up to do.

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian

@]UPS[ Lynx said:
    Perfect:

What the fuck. Evangelion.