Project Ascension: An Open Source Game launcher

KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian
edited May 2015 in Gaming

So Apparently in the wake of the Steam Paid mod Controversy, some enterprising Redditors decided to start working on something called Project Ascension. They are trying to open source the platform. You don't buy games from the project but more so provides a storefront from all the retailers, Steam, Origin, GoG, Humble, itch.io.

It looks kinda interesting Don't know if anything will come from it, but it has picked up a fair amount of steam (no pun intended). It's nothing official official yet. Who knows what will happen.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

This seemed like such an ill-conceived reaction to the Steam paid mods controversy. Exactly how is a front-end, which broadly allows you to buy and play more Steam games, an effective protest?

• KarmaKarma Likes yoga Icrontian

I am not really offering any opinions on it.

• EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian

Valve's free software having a monopoly has allowed their publisher to be a monopoly and I think people are fed up with that in more general terms.

• georgehgeorgeh Canton, MI Icrontian

If you're concerned about Valve's monopoly you need to support DRM-free and independent sellers as well as work on an open friend/presence system (XMPP-based Gamespy anyone?)

A launcher is competing with the Start menu, not Steam.

primesuspectTushon
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian

@georgeh said:
    If you're concerned about Valve's monopoly you need to support DRM-free and independent sellers as well as work on an open friend/presence system

That's the initial plan.

Having read a little more in their subreddit, though, I think it may be impossible to integrate well with Steam and Origin.